ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
[Meta] Overmoderation
This place is too strictly moderated. Going slightly off-topic shouldn't be an excuse for these 12 year olds with blue names to stroke their mod ding-dongs.

In the abortion topic Redundant made an interesting post regarding the topic, hidden as an in-joke (me being skeptical of muslims is no secret, it was alluding to that) which could have been spun to be on-topic eventually (muslims being conservative, hence nicely tying into the topic), but it would have taken a few posts to get there. Instead both of our posts got removed and I got infracted.

I'd love it if 10-somethings would just steer clear of this place, and let Ele (or whoever is in charge atm) filter the bullshit out.

Cheers.
I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but literally no one is currently assigned to dealing with this board. As such, I took it upon myself to help clean up the board by way of reports. If your posts had put forward any truly meaningful input on the subject at hand, instead of just racially insensitive jokes and gifs (which have no real place in a serious discussion in the first place), they might not have been reported or deleted.

It's unlikely that staff will stop moderating a board properly just because you don't get to treat it like wibbles, and I'm certainly not going to stop reporting posts that clearly go against the whole purpose of discussion. You can be upset, it's not anyone's job to put a smile on your face, but you can't pretend like your banter was removed unjustly.
I think I might be retired.
I didn't realize Ele stepped down, perhaps appointing an lmod from the regulars would be the right step to take.

Anyways, take your strawman to the wheat field where it belongs kiddo.

Anyone else?
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't your post really only just a meme with some picture? Let's be real, the post deserved to be deleted. Not sure if an infraction was totally warranted, but it was definitely in their discretion to give under global rules.

Not that I'd mind someone more familiar with how the board works stepping in as an lmod instead of your typical wild smod.
Ele stepped down because he knew that he'd be deleting anti-abortion posts if he had stayed in power. Luckily, he did the right thing and sacrificed his power for the good of the community.
My post was pretty crap, but Redundant's post wasn't all that bad. I still think something like that should be within acceptable deviation from topic, as long as it eventually leads back to the topic. Moderating should be done on a case-by-case basis, since overdoing it like this just leads to "my data is better than your pie chart" type of snoozefest.
If you want to have an actual dialogue with someone, realize how you package what you say impacts how the message is received. If you spend your time calling people "10-somethings" and "stroke their mod ding-dongs" as if any of us really would prefer infracting, you won't get far. We don't enjoy infracting.

What people tend to not realize is most of the time smods don't go looking for things to infract, and that nearly 100% of posts that are infracted, are done so after being reported by either local mods or regular users... sometimes even multiple times.

You know what people hate more than over-moderation? Inconsistency. If I've given someone a warning (as I tend to do), and then they go out and report someone for breaking the same rule, I'm going to get an earful if I don't do something about it. I'd rather follow the letter of the law when enforcing rules than let you "just play out" whatever banter you have.

If this forum takes itself too seriously, and that's your complaint - you should talk about that. You should cite some more successful forums with more lax rules. Attacking us as moderators won't help you.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
Originally Posted by Mallymkun View Post
Ele stepped down because he knew that he'd be deleting anti-abortion posts if he had stayed in power. Luckily, he did the right thing and sacrificed his power for the good of the community.

Awww, someone's got a bee in their bonnet. Your hate is ugly.

I never deleted posts that I didn't personally agree with. The only posts I deleted were troll posts and posts that failed to meet the useful post criteria (usually by being a sentence-long and not moving the discussion forward. I was probably the most lenient mod Discussion's ever had.