Ranking
Original Post
History of Toribash
The History of Toribash
Long time ago, in the early age of ragdoll physics, a young man started to experiment with 3d object collision. This man had no idea of what he was doing, would bring a new life to the computer life. A life, that we today call. Toribash.

Hampa fighting in version 0.2 Beta of Toribash
Download link: http://www.toribash.com/timemachine/beatdown.avi

Based on the human structure, this man made a unique game that totally changed people’s perspective to the world of ragdoll physics. Before this new game was created, ragdoll physics was by many people considered to be one of the most boring sorts of games that existed on the planet of Earth.

However, when this game came, other developers found their big motivation source. However, this motivation was not enough for any person or any team to create such a great game as this single man did. This man had more than motivation. He had the power of physics in his head. The power of Toribash.
Now who is this man? Who is the man that created this great game? This man is, Hampus Söderström, also known as hampa.

People started to notice the great game and joined the community of Toribash. Nokturnal and DeerSlayer were two of the beta testers in the early age of Toribash. They became the most known beta testers and later created a clan with hampa called MAD. This clan does still exist, with only these three players. Nobody has ever been able to join MAD after this.

The community that was holding together all the members and created a friendly feeling that made people want to stay. Some of the people that first joined Toribash are still here, just because of this awesome community. Now who managed to make this great community?

Was it hampa? Partly yes. But he would never had done it if it wasn’t for this one person that contributed to the forums of Toribash and spent his personal time in making the community a better place. This one man, created events and made people enjoy the life of Toribash. What was he called? Actually, he didn’t have much of a name. His name was build up of three letters. veb. Now don’t get me wrong, short names are surely awesome. Without these three letters he would not be what he is today.

Also, because of these three easy letters to remember, it is important that you don’t start to add capital letters to the name. Without the small letters of veb, he would not be the same person. There have been rumors that people got banned because they capitalized veb’s name. What a shame. What a shame.

Later on, when more people started to join the community, more moderators and more people that could take care of the community were needed. The Promo Team was made. The Promo Team created events and tourneys. They also helped the community to stay as a group.

One day came veb. He thought that something was wrong. Something needed to be fixed or updated, so he removed the Promo Team and created the Game Keepers. Most people did not like this. They protested and tried to get the Promo Team back, but veb did not change his mind.

R.I.P Promo Team

As the time went, updates started to coming. Both in the community and in the game. One of the best updates, that was a part of both the community and the game, was the, today well known and used, market. One more person enters the game. This person has sadly left Toribash now. But we have to remember him and what he done for the Toribash community. We have to remember all the new items and events he created. And not to mention the money Nabi Studios got because of him. People loved his ideas and did anything to get those new items he created and to participate in the events he held. Sometimes he comes around and looks how it’s going for Toribash. Sometimes he plays a match or two. He will never forget Toribash either. This man is called Gman80.

Gman80 was like a market god in Toribash. When he told us that he was leaving, a tear fell out of many people’s eyes. There was a big thread of people that asked him to come back to Toribash. Now who would do all the new items? Well, items surely started to come out slower. But it didn’t totally stop just because Gman80 quit. The Toribash community had to live on its own now. People had to try to go on with their Toribash life’s as usual and don’t keep their heads down forever because of this horrible moment. People probably started to get happy again when the new release of items came out after the big pause. People started to forget about Gman80. Of course, this is not what we wanted to happen. Gman80 should always be remembered, whatever happens. Period.

1st price drawing for the Gman80 Forever event made by VitieK

These three people are in my opinion the three most contributors to Toribash. Of course, hampa needed to get some money for this great game. So he made the multiplayer version of it buyable. But it was still something missing. Not enough players were enjoying this awesome game. Why was this? The reason is that people are afraid to pay for something that they are not sure they will use. This problem got fixed later. Hampa made Toribash free and more people could enjoy it. But how would he make money now? Well, with the help of Gman80 and veb he developed the toribooster and TC purchase.

How about the poor people that payed for the game just before hampa made it free? They are now classified as oldschoolers with a + in front of their name. They also got a free head texture, which isn’t worth a lot now, but it was worth 10 times more in the old days.

Originally Posted by Toribash 1.0 GDD
The art should be minimalistic. The characters are inspired by Urban Vinyl dolls (like STIKFAS etc).

As quoted from the Toribash 1.0 Game Design Document, hampa clearly says that the art should be minimalistic. However, this started to look a bit boring after a while, so hampa changed his ideas with the next versions by creating shaders and textures. He also changed the design of the characters.

Hampa's inspiration figure, STIKFAS

Extra
Game Design Document for version 1.0: http://www.toribash.com/timemachine/gdd_toribash.html
Make sure to check the rest of the timemachine too: http://www.toribash.com/timemachine

Old Toribash Site Design.
Link: http://www.toribash.com/newsold.html

Paper Foldable Toribash Character: http://www.toribash.com/toribash_paperfoldable.pdf
Some random signatures: http://www.toribash.com/sigs.php
Toribash in Flash: http://www.toribash.com/toriflash/tori.swf
Last edited by Dodekus; Jun 25, 2010 at 11:22 AM.
You left out 3.0 being free and old schoolers being promised shit and then not getting what was promised. Also, first!

Also nice history thing but you made an error "was build up of three letters" needs to be built....
Last edited by isaac; Jun 24, 2010 at 12:51 AM.
Selling Kung Fu Master Beard $250 USD. Non-negotiable. Now accepting bitcoin! I'll accept an offer as low as 0.15BTC!
Pretend you're as elite as us old schoolers with this unique old schooler only beard!
DesertPunk

Please click this
Visit Buy something from my Poor Quality 3D/2D/Pixel/Photography/Sounds/Writing/Scripts/Anything Shop
I'm sorry what was the Question. I enjoyed reading about all that stuff. Thank you.
I am a terrible person :(
Nice wrighting bro!

It's feels good to be an oldschooler!
Them girls only know three words, stop, no and don't! No my brotha, you go them word backwards, they always tell me, no don't stop!

I remember when you had to pay for a name and a headtexture and everyone else was called playerId, that was good times!
Proud Member of Flawless

wushu is like ride an bicycle.. you cant forget it
// Callejon77

Save baby tori!!!
yeah nice i likt the idea of making something like this

Gman80 4 ever
<Aeon><Master Belt><Gamers Inc.><RMO><GERMAN Unibash Manager>
^-^Join My Fan Club^-^Aeon Elite Video^-^
Join Aeon
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Spaft|Vipertech|Chirs|Jormungandr|SocKeTe|threedog 2|Habeeb|SXDave
I'm not an old schooler, so its nice to hear how it all started out and got created. Thanks for the good info.
Damn, I thought the first toribash was 2.9, I guess not :/
Is there anyway for us to download 0.2
It looks interesting :I