Toribash
i agree with vox and skulfuk, if you want to stream hd content of any kind you're going to need a 7mbps to 25mbps download speed but for gaming you can have a slow 1mbps download connection and have a 1mbps upload and still get better ping than people with a 25mbps connection...

it does depend on the service provider because while they give you an internet connection you're sharing your throughput with several hundred other people and if the service provider's technology isn't up to par with that kind of throughput you're going to have a worse ping.

a few years ago i purchased internet from a company called bendbroadband and while the internet connection was fast at the time and had a good upload speed the ping didn't compare to a slower download and upload connection from qwest because of how much throughput they were using per line. since then they upgraded their technology and have more lines that they use so they don't have as bad of ping issues when gaming or when trying to load a webpage.

local ping was good though (bendbroadband to bendbroadband gaming)but anything else was pretty bad.

also, one reason why we might need faster internet connections is file size. 3 years ago the average file size of a game demo was 700mb or less. now the average file size is 2-3gb. that coupled with people who don't want to wait for their demos or games to download would be a good reason for increases in internet speed.
You don't say?
With respect to Organ's comments on game demo file size: The size of a game now-a-days largely seems to be dependent on the largest physical medium being used to distribute the games, however games have diverged where the internet is concerned, most indy games have considerably less pre-made content and considerably more generated content, meaning they download over slower lines just fine. It's hard to say the games industry is dictating the speed of internet, I'd look towards torrents and media streaming to be the two main uses for fast internet.
Originally Posted by Gorman View Post
I guess the servers are just closer to you then :P

Over here in Perth, close to nowhere, even if I am using a line jacked directly in to one of our 10gb/s trunks, I will get at least a couple of hundred ms ping from most games. I guess the international lines are not so flash...

:<

Actually I'm a few thousand miles from the majority of servers (which are generally in the USA), just most UK ISPs haven't jumped onto the traffic shaping bandwagon.

On that subject if things go the way USA ISPs want you're all going to go through hell regarding online gaming unless you pay extra to avoid getting throttled. Fingers crossed they don't cos it's a massive cunt trick & IMO if you've paid for a connection you should be able to do whatever you want on it.

Originally Posted by Organ View Post
also, one reason why we might need faster internet connections is file size. 3 years ago the average file size of a game demo was 700mb or less. now the average file size is 2-3gb. that coupled with people who don't want to wait for their demos or games to download would be a good reason for increases in internet speed.

Originally Posted by Vox View Post
With respect to Organ's comments on game demo file size: The size of a game now-a-days largely seems to be dependent on the largest physical medium being used to distribute the games, however games have diverged where the internet is concerned, most indy games have considerably less pre-made content and considerably more generated content, meaning they download over slower lines just fine. It's hard to say the games industry is dictating the speed of internet, I'd look towards torrents and media streaming to be the two main uses for fast internet.

I've gotta agree that game downloading's a ballache, especially when your line's unreliable like mine. I dislike using disks for PC gaming, they're inconveniant, and there's normally a version on a download service like Steam.

Services like Steam are pretty cool, but only once you've got your stuff downloaded. Having 12 hour+ download times before being able to use something I've bought proper gets on my tits.

Oddly enough my ISP excels with torrents, I can easily hammer through a few gig in the same amount of time a game service takes for a few hundred meg.

Gotta love router logs:

Uptime: 5 days, 19:21:28
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 3,872
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 49.06 / 92.09

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
i wonder how CERN would transfer all those data from the LHC

could it be that TD/MP is faster than TCP/IP?

terabyte drives over pack mule protocol (TD/MP)?
Originally Posted by avwave View Post
i wonder how CERN would transfer all those data from the LHC

could it be that TD/MP is faster than TCP/IP?

terabyte drives over pack mule protocol (TD/MP)?

Epic bandwidth, shitty ping.
When I see you, my heart goes DOKI⑨DOKI
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
I honestly have no clue what you guys are talking about but I just want to know what is necessary to make ray tracing move smoothly

Gynx Moderated Message:
User warned for a useless post
Last edited by Gynx; Apr 15, 2011 at 10:06 PM.
that would be called a videocard and this is not the thread to ask that
You don't say?
Okay so basically, ask what the point of fast internet is but exclude everything that you would want a fast download for. I enjoy high download and upload speeds, the higher the better. Shall I ask you what's the point of having a ton of hard drive space besides for large files and data?
Selling Kung Fu Master Beard $250 USD. Non-negotiable. Now accepting bitcoin! I'll accept an offer as low as 0.15BTC!
Pretend you're as elite as us old schoolers with this unique old schooler only beard!
DesertPunk

Please click this
Visit Buy something from my Poor Quality 3D/2D/Pixel/Photography/Sounds/Writing/Scripts/Anything Shop
Originally Posted by isaac View Post
Okay so basically, ask what the point of fast internet is but exclude everything that you would want a fast download for. I enjoy high download and upload speeds, the higher the better. Shall I ask you what's the point of having a ton of hard drive space besides for large files and data?

I prefer to stream rather than download, because by definition it is as fast as can usefully be.
Plus, every time you download it wastes hard disc space from the global pool. I am sure there are other better uses.

I don't see the point in having tons of HDD space if I have a constant internet connection. In the near future this will certainly be a possibility. LTE has what, 80mb/s in field tests, I think if I had that then I wouldn't need such a big HDD.
When I see you, my heart goes DOKI⑨DOKI
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
Originally Posted by Gorman View Post
I guess the servers are just closer to you then :P

Over here in Perth, close to nowhere, even if I am using a line jacked directly in to one of our 10gb/s trunks, I will get at least a couple of hundred ms ping from most games. I guess the international lines are not so flash...

:<

I manage to get decent pings (around the 70 mark :3) in most online games, and I live in Canberra. :3
LIGHTING FROM MY EYES