Ranking
Original Post
Action game combat theorycraft
So, lets have a discussion on possible combat systems for an action-rpg game!

(for those that don't know, action-rpg games are like rpgs, but with little or no leveling, combat is more about speed and skill than 'lulz i haz big axe cos i played for 80 hours lel')

What existing combat systems do you like? Why do you like them? How could they be improved or merged to make a better system?

Personally, I like Mirror's Edge, Prince of Persia and Devil May Cry.
Mirror's Edge for the physics system that controls it, if you run fast, jump and kick them in the face, they are going to take a hell of a lot more damage then if u are just standing there and press jump and kick. I like this integration of moving and attacking, it works really well, and it would be cool to see a warrior charging into combat, he gains speed as he runs down a slope, then barrels strait into the melee knocking back allies and enemies alike, and impaling an unlucky enemy on a spear. It would be really cool to see an action -rpg that allowed you to use momentum to increase you combat prowess.
Prince of Persia and Devil May Cry I like for the same reason, the arcade style controls. To perform special moves you don't just press the '1' key or click an onsreen button, you have to actually do the move, jumping, dodging, slicing, at the correct time. Prince of Persia is especially good like this, as you control the camera with your mouse, and if you have a mouse with extra buttons then you control gauntlet, sword and magic on your mouse, leaving your other hand free for movement.
Oblivion is also cool for its aiming style, but possibly an Age of Conan style system would be pretty cool, simpler, but maybe cooler.

I think one of the most important things in a combat system is that it should be almost 100% skill, a noob with a powerful weapon would fall to a pro with a spork. And ofcourse a pro with a powerful weapon would be a force to be reckoned with.

What do you think would be a cool combat system?
When I see you, my heart goes DOKI⑨DOKI
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."