Ranking
Original Post
Overrated movies?
What are some movies in your opinion that everyone thinks is great but you're just like "meh, I don't get why everyone is so hyped up about it"?

I have a few:
-Fast and Furious: Seriously, why does this movie have so many parts? How can you fill so many movies with only street racing? Filled with mediocre acting and lame one-liners.

-Sex and the City: Girls, watching and promoting movies like this does NOT improve the reputation of the average girl/woman.

-World War Z: Now I know many will probably disagree with me, but a similar movie like "28 days later" would blow it away. It's more eyecandy than anything else. I'm not scared by duplicated zombies made with some fancy software. I'll admit that it is an OK movie, but it's been too highly praised by the majority of folks.

Please let me know which movies you think are highly overrated. Doesn't matter if it's an old or a new movie. Also, I swear if another thread in this forum section dies after 0-3 posts I'm going to be sad.
Fast and Furious : below average acting skills, terrible and completely non-thought out stories just to fill in between badly directed street racing scenes.

Any and all horror movies of this generation, newer worse than older : I swear, if someone still mentions how these movies give them nightmares, scare them so hard they have to close their eyes and ears for some tense scenes, I will kill someone. Current horror movies are nothing but corrupted humanoids/ghosts/monsters jumping out of small areas or on a windshield, or just violin/piano music that is so unoriginal you think it's taken from all the other movies.
And no, jumpscares are not the definition of horror. Horror is the constant tension and fear of the unknown, same as environmental horror in video games.
<&Erth> fagm <&Erth> duck <&Erth> *fuck
Fagm duck fuck everyone.

Fast and Furious definitely never understood why people like to see someone shift 37 times in a 3 minute race.

Avatar: dont get me wrong i enjoyed the movie ( mostly because of the awesome animations ) but everyone saying the story is good is just wrong.Pocahontas meets Scifi.

Gravity: got hyped a lot. saw it , didn't think it deserves that much attention solid movie but nothing out of the ordinary.

Riddick 2013: i dont think i have to explain why.

and i couldnt agree more with EJM.
[06:53]Sissykick: my friend was the hottest drag queen in the group.
Pacific Rim: Lots of eye candy, and fun movie, but it's not like ":ooo greatest movie evar" worthy. Which is what I hear a lot.

World War Z: The amount of nope when comparing that movie to the book was just mind boggling. The amount of nope when just plain watching it was even more so. So many ridiculous scenarios. So many product placements. HEY GUISE DRINK PEPSI K THX.

Zero Dark Thirty: Along with that sole survivor or whatever that crap I've been seeing ads for left and right. They're basically modern American propaganda films. And they're incredibly nauseating to watch.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
Fast and Furious - I don't understand what the fuss is about.
The Shawshank Redemption - Don't get me wrong... I like it, but #1 movie on imdb??
The Dark Knight - I'll get a lot of hate for this one, but I don't know why it's so popular.
Avatar - Save the environment... Same message, but with smurfs!

imo
Originally Posted by EJM View Post
Any and all horror movies of this generation, newer worse than older : I swear, if someone still mentions how these movies give them nightmares, scare them so hard they have to close their eyes and ears for some tense scenes, I will kill someone. Current horror movies are nothing but corrupted humanoids/ghosts/monsters jumping out of small areas or on a windshield, or just violin/piano music that is so unoriginal you think it's taken from all the other movies.
And no, jumpscares are not the definition of horror. Horror is the constant tension and fear of the unknown, same as environmental horror in video games.

Amen brother.. When I'm trying to watch a horror film with friends, they're only entertained by lame and predictable jump scares. I was watching "The Shining" with them and they said it was boring. Same goes for "Silence Of The Lambs". When they suggested "Paranormal Activity" I just lost faith in my friends.

Originally Posted by pwnzafahra View Post

Gravity: got hyped a lot. saw it , didn't think it deserves that much attention solid movie but nothing out of the ordinary.

Riddick 2013: i dont think i have to explain why.

@Gravity, yes it seems to be getting a LOT of attention. I still have to watch it, but I don't have too high hopes.
@Riddick, not even going to bother.

Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
Pacific Rim: Lots of eye candy, and fun movie, but it's not like ":ooo greatest movie evar" worthy. Which is what I hear a lot.

Zero Dark Thirty: Along with that sole survivor or whatever that crap I've been seeing ads for left and right. They're basically modern American propaganda films. And they're incredibly nauseating to watch.

@Pacific Rim: I watched it, and I loved the casting. Charlie Day, Rinko Kikuchi, Charlie Hunham (oops if I spelled it wrong) are great actors. It's definitely fun to watch, but people claiming this is the best sci-fi movie made is just wrong. Go watch "Alien".

@ Zero Dark Thirty is the last thing I would like to watch. Badass AMERICAN veterans kicking some muslim terrorist ass along with ads to show how amazing USA is? No thank you!

Originally Posted by MintCat View Post
The Shawshank Redemption - Don't get me wrong... I like it, but #1 movie on imdb??

imo

@Shawshank Redemption: IMDb is sadly not that good when it comes to ratings. I know tons of movies that were great, but have a meh-ish rating on that site. I haven't watched that movie though.
Originally Posted by Dilara View Post
Amen brother.. When I'm trying to watch a horror film with friends, they're only entertained by lame and predictable jump scares. I was watching "The Shining" with them and they said it was boring. Same goes for "Silence Of The Lambs". When they suggested "Paranormal Activity" I just lost faith in my friends.

I applaud you for choosing the superior horror movie. The shining is probably the only movie that got me tense, it was unpredictable, full of "what the fuck is gonna happen... wait I don't wanna know". That's when you know a movie scares you.
<&Erth> fagm <&Erth> duck <&Erth> *fuck
Fagm duck fuck everyone.

Originally Posted by MintCat View Post

It gets high ratings for a few reasons. One, it's a very, VERY, good movie adaptation of a book, which I will almost never say. And it's a good story too, so that's a plus. Book's by Stephen King if you're wondering.

Two, from a cinematography standpoint, it's fucking brilliant. You could literally spend hours dissecting the entire film's camera angles, shots, character placement, lighting, transitions, etc. etc. to see the hidden message each shot is trying to convey. The acting is great, not superb, but definitely A-game material. Just from a technical standpoint, it's a great film.

Three, Morgan Fucking Freeman as the main character and the narrator. End of story.

Of course, I can understand it not being everybody's cup of tea. The adaptation is much longer than the book. Like most of Stephen King's non-horror stories, it requires a bit more time to flesh out and set the mood necessary through film than it could through words. But it's fucking brilliant. It's probably one of my favorite films of all time. Same director also made The Green Mile, and that film is probably even more fucking brilliant. Same problems with length though.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
What Oracle said.

ET the only thing decent to come from this movie is Drew Barrymore. I like redheads