ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
This isn't all wrong, however, it is very unlikely.

I know this game was and is designed for casual fun by Hampa and co, but I thought about the whole "Toribash is the next big esport" for a few minutes logically and realized something. If you look at games like smash brothers, league of legends, csgo, dota2, starcraft 2, overwatch, and many others you will realize 2 things.

1: There is an element of rng in each of these games, this is necessary to create diversity even if the actions taken by both competitors are completely identical on two separate occasions, and this leads me to reason number 2.

2: The amount of possible outcomes, while not infinite, are too many to count. Why is this important? Well think about Super smash brothers melee for a second, I'm using this as an example because it is also a fighting game. Melee has 26 different characters, each of which has multiple light attacks with heavy variations, multiple smash attacks, grabs of different ranges, shields [possibly of different durations? I dont remember]and multiple other special abilities with small amounts of rng connected to them that have to do with hitboxes and frames. Anyway my point is, there are too many different outcomes to count between any two characters, and there are a couple hundred possible matchups. Add in the fact that there are multiple stages [equivalent to mods in toribash] and that just adds to the possibilities.

Anyway I'll make the main point short since the math doesn't really do anything other than hammer home the point. The point is toribash has a finite number of joints, a finite number of joint movements[hold, relax, extend,contract and hands can either be grabbing or not grabbing], and a finite number of participants per match within one mod. Why does this matter? Well, Toribash has zero rng as far as i'm aware, point generation is the same, dismemberment and fracture threshhold is always consistent within a single mod [aikido.tbm for example has a 325 dismemberment threshhold and a 200 fracture threshhold, i'm not sure exactly what these numbers mean to be honest now that I think about it, but the important thing is that they don't change] which means that the same joint collisions and interactions will always lead to the same result whether it be a dismemberment or a fracture, furthermore each joint movement following a fracture will have the same result because a fractured joint is the same thing as a relaxed joint according to the game. What does this block of text mean? Well it means Toribash is a solvable puzzle.

Think of it this way, a puzzle has a pre-determined amount of pieces. The image may be different for a different puzzle(mods), but a 10,000 piece puzzle requires 10,000 pieces to be a completed image, furthermore, even if all the pieces are pure white, each piece is required to be placed in the same location in respect to each of the other 9,999 pieces for the image to remain the same. Now think if each joint is moved in a certain way in respect to each of the other 39 joints at all times, the outcome of the game will be the same. If both uke and tori relax all at 500 frames on aikido.tbm, the result will be a draw 100 times out of 100. If this weren't the case that would be what you call rng, however this game would be unbalanced if too much rng were to be introduced because players rely on the certainty that Effect A will be the outcome of Cause A and Effect B will be the outcome of Cause B at all times. If that were changed then suddenly the law of physics within the game no longer remains absolute.

Now, "why does any of this matter?" You might ask. If anybody, and I mean anybody, decided to solve Toribash and leak the information...then that would be the end of the game. Just think a complete noob could download Toribash and search 'Toribash Guide,' but instead of finding a helpful post of the forums or an informative youtube video he would find a spreadsheet that contains the 100% CORRECT move for any possible situation within a mod. The way to implement this idea would take a little theorizing just because of the limited time you have to move all your joints thanks to the reactiontime function, but with practice it would be doable.

There are a few ways to fix this, but I don't feel like typing them out currently so if anyone important feels like asking me just ask on the thread or pm me. Also, I thought up the ways in which you could actually turn this idea into a reality if anyone is interested in breaking the game for the small price of a few hundred hours of tedious work, or is smart enough to come up with software that can simulate everything idk.

pls no delete for exposing the fact that toribash is a game able to be solved

~Grim

P.S Someone may have realized this a long time ago or even attempted it and been banned. It would take a little work but I know for a fact I'm not the first person to think of this in the past 11 years.
Last edited by Grim; Jan 1, 2017 at 06:09 PM.
♥Team Aikido-[Obey]-OoT-[Vibe]-Team Pokemon♥