Ranking
Original Post
Why does Toribash use Lua for scripts?
I understand that its a very very easy language to learn as it only took me about a month to understand it decently while a language like C# took me 2-3 months to learn it quite decently.

My question is, Why did Hampa decide to use lua for scripts and not a language like C++ or C.

Do you have any thoughts about why it is lua or do you think its purely just because its such an easy language to learn?

I wasn't that sure where to put this so I just placed it here
<3 This game was a huge part of my childhood, thank you to everyone I interacted with. I'm sure there's some I've forgotten, but some I haven't.
because lua is simple, fast, and reasonably effective

no reason to make scripts use C for the ~three people who would know C on this site

anyone who's played roblox can probably make a simple lua script

C and C++ are not interpreted languages - toribash runs scripts as it reads them. They are not precompiled (at least visibly??).

Lua was probably chosen because of its C-style but non-verbose (usually) syntax and maturity. Homeworld (and a ton of other games) also uses Lua for scripting.

Lua is actually fairly popular for game scripting - even now its familiar syntax, portability, speed and ability to be easily embedded made it stand out. Even today, I can't think of another language that provides all three features as nicely as Lua does.

Lua is also a pretty clean langauge - unlike javascript for example which has some more questionable structures and features
Last edited by Fear; May 18, 2017 at 05:58 PM.