Ranking
Original Post
[Tex]Remake of one head
Hey all! I added some corrects at one head:
This head:

Original

Here i just coloured eyes on other colors.

red eyes

yellow eyes

green eyes

My better variant (With HD "arrow" and smoothy...... And smoothy. Good with acid.

Here

8-bit errored version:

Very bad. Very... Bad...

If somobody need it as a free, please. I will not sell it. Just will give because i don't need it and drawed it cause i haven't what to do)
I think it's not a plagiarism. But if is it, tell me please and i still corrected.
P.S. I used PhotoshopCS5.
Last edited by ImEmpty; Oct 2, 2014 at 01:03 AM.
Don't you still need permission?

Looking at the original thread for the head,
it does say it's free to use, but it doesn't
say anything about being allowed to make
public alterations.
http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=390386
The past makes you wanna die out of regret, and future makes you depressed out of anxiety. So by elimination, the present is likely the happiest time.
i am pretty sure that if a texture is free, you're allowed to do anything with (and to) it except for profit off of it. it is not plagiarism unless you attempt to sell/trade with your version of the free head or claim that the work is your own.

imo though, you should be able to sell it if the changes are significant enough. it could be similar to public domain laws. afaik your additions to public domain works are protected by copyright in the US if they meet fairly arbitrary standards of "originality and creativity", generally comprising things like annotations, illustrations, translations, remixes, etc.

for example, if you create this head but you started with this head as a base, i see no real reason why you shouldn't be able to sell your creation/additions.

that said, your changes would probably not meet the standards for resale. the 8-bit error thing looks pretty interesting though, at least on the flat

anyway, i don't think this is plagiarism because you are not attempting to sell it, you have not claimed it as your own work, and you have provided the source.

however, the rules regarding plagiarism should probably be more clearly defined. atm the rules in the art board just say "don't plagiarize" and this is the closest thing to covering the subject in the global rules:
A) Using copyrighted work without proven owner consent (plagiarism) is strictly forbidden, and you must credit all other artists work. In other words, if you're selling c/p textures or images post a link to the original image.

B) Do not sell variations of the same texture to multiple users in any circumstance, re-colors or minor edits do not constitute a new texture.

part A could be interpreted as saying that using a non-free texture as a base without permission from the original artist is not allowed and would be considered plagiarism.

the bolded phrase in part B, on the other hand, mentions that minor edits do not "constitute a new texture". this could be interpreted as implying that major edits could be, in fact, considered an entirely new texture.

food for thought

tl;dr — there is not much to say about your head but it does bring up some interesting points about what constitutes the creation of new and saleable art in the context of toribash
Originally Posted by HiPower View Post
for example, if you create this head but you started with this head as a base, i see no real reason why you shouldn't be able to sell your creation/additions.

So, how i can understand, i can sell my work if i started making it from this one, because copyright comes to me. Right?
Last edited by ImEmpty; Oct 3, 2014 at 12:54 AM.
HiPower.. Stop putting ideas in this guy's head... -.-

No, you cannot sell these "remakes" and you cannot
claim them as your own.
The past makes you wanna die out of regret, and future makes you depressed out of anxiety. So by elimination, the present is likely the happiest time.
Originally Posted by ImEmpty View Post
So, how i can understand, i can sell my work if i started making it from this one, because copyright comes to me. Right?

not quite. you don't own the whole texture, you just own the changes you made. if you delete the bottom layer (which presumably containins the original head), that is the part that you own.

to reiterate: final texture - original texture = changes you've made = your art