ES Recruitment Drive
Tinerr, I think most of us realise that we're not at that stage yet. We're just shooting the shit on cloning in general.

Originally Posted by Dr_Strangelove View Post
Why would you donate your DNA if you know there is going to be a high demand for it? It will probably end up being sold, rather than donated.

That's what I meant. Donor, in medical context, just refers to the person who supplies whatever they're supplying.

Originally Posted by Dr_Strangelove View Post
Another interesting question: Would DNA donor/sellers be allowed to remain anonymous? Will the clones be able to track down their "biological parent" (for lack of a better term) like the children of sperm donors? Will they count as or by treated as a next of kin?

I'd guess that it'd be the same way that it is now. Some institutions would share the details and some wouldn't. I could be wrong, but I don't think there's any legal requirement (in Aus, at least) on current institutions to supply the details.

Though, regardless, I'd say it'd be a bit easier tracking down someone who looked exactly like you, than not.
What do you guys think of cloning? How could this impact our day-to-day lives in the future? Organ transplants? Cloning farm animals for more food? What about cloning humans? Ethics? Other thoughts/concerns?

Cloning of plants has and will always be a good thing used the way it is used now, cloning of farm animals will probably be more perfected and a good alternative in the future, cloning humans I can't really see happening for the next 50 years, too much ethical debate over this which is understandable. There are still even ethical debates around the cloning of plants which is something that has led to a decrease of world hunger. Interspecial cloning is now a viable option thanks to Stewart Brand and his amazing coworkers research.

relevant video
http://www.ted.com/talks/stewart_bra...you_ready.html
Last edited by Ezeth; Jun 29, 2013 at 08:43 PM.
Originally Posted by hanz0 View Post
I'm also unsure exactly what I'm misrepresenting about said posts. The points I brought up were all valid issues with the posts. Using a clone of yourself to undertake your responsibilities requires that the clone be the same age as you. Creating clone armies requires the same or accelerated aging or about 20 years of foresight. Cloning an individual other than yourself requires that you have access to their genomes.

Unless, of course, you were simply throwing around "OMG LOGICAL FALLACY" because you think it advances the discussion and/or makes you feel superior*. Sometimes people do that.

* This is the part where you go "OMG AD HOMINEM THAT MEANS I WIN THE ARGUMENT" and then nobody pays attention.

OMG AD HOMINEM THAT MEANS I WIN THE ARGUMENT

As you said, the points you brought up were all valid points; however, they are navigatable. The "using a clone to take up the same responsibilities as you" issue, you have a completely accurate point. However, in basic household chores, a clone of six or seven years is more than sufficient for taking over basic duties. Sure, there is no immediate result, but there is the potential for future responsibility alleviation.

As for the army: twenty year foresight isn't impossible, especially not for many governments. Sure, predicting a war outright is outrageous, but preparing during times of conflict (e.g. Early Cold War) is more than reasonable. It would have its uses.

As for rights to genomes--I would say that is a whole separate topic. I think what's being assumed is that you have access to human's genomes, otherwise there is almost no reason to discuss human cloning. You're, again, correct that we'd need access though. I personally think that many people would be willing to submit themselves for cloning (assuming that it is proven to work and regulated by a corporation or government). I have no evidence for or against that though, so feel free to ignore that claim.

I was trying to point out that you're attacking their claims based on the lack of immediate result. With a bit of foresight and time though, most of what they said is at least semi-plausible. You are not incorrect on any point, however.
Gamemaster -- Need help? Click here!
I'm like... supposed to advocate for Team Aikido or something. Click that link if you're great at aikido.
Originally Posted by Zoro View Post
As you said, the points you brought up were all valid points; however, they are navigatable. The "using a clone to take up the same responsibilities as you" issue, you have a completely accurate point. However, in basic household chores, a clone of six or seven years is more than sufficient for taking over basic duties. Sure, there is no immediate result, but there is the potential for future responsibility alleviation.

Well, yes. But you have to keep in mind that even though such a person would be obligated to be defined as a 'clone', they are still very much human.
Doing something such as that would be completely immoral, considering that they are no different than a child that would have been born normally.
Originally Posted by Skolfe View Post
Well, yes. But you have to keep in mind that even though such a person would be obligated to be defined as a 'clone', they are still very much human.
Doing something such as that would be completely immoral, considering that they are no different than a child that would have been born normally.

I wasn't talking about the morality of it, just the practical application of cloning.

For the morality argument, I would say that, in the event human cloning becomes possible, clone-racism would become prevalent. No way to argue for or against that, though, so I just ignored it.
Gamemaster -- Need help? Click here!
I'm like... supposed to advocate for Team Aikido or something. Click that link if you're great at aikido.
The "using a clone to take up the same responsibilities as you" issue, you have a completely accurate point. However, in basic household chores, a clone of six or seven years is more than sufficient for taking over basic duties.

I'd venture it'd be a fair lot cheaper to hire a maid than create a clone.

semi-plausible.

Originally Posted by hanz0 View Post
I didn't realize that people's genomes were public domain now.

Wasn't there a huge national discussion over whether you could copyright your own DNA in the future?

Also, like anything, there's going to be limits set by governments. If there were no boundaries, it would be tough to say if governments could raise/farm an army through cloned individuals. They'd have to get DNA from a person with favorable physical attributes, and that brings up the question of does the government own your DNA or do you (considering we aren't even close to fully understanding the genetic code and being able to script it ourselves)? Also just because the DNA is the same doesn't mean that they become mindless freaks who will voluntarily join the army, or like a lot of you suggested, do work for families such as slaves/maids. And that bring up another question, are they people? Do they have a place in society? Can they vote? Get married? Etc. I highly doubt it would be used for anything other than farming organs and food, but I would presume that eating cloned food might be dangerous, unless they get the process nearly flawless. Cloning diseased DNA, etc.
Last edited by sham; Jun 30, 2013 at 09:39 AM.
inq.
Originally Posted by sham View Post
but I would presume that eating cloned food might be dangerous, unless they get the process nearly flawless. Cloning diseased DNA, etc.

You're in luck. FDA okayed cloned meat years ago. Retailers needn't even inform customers that the meat is cloned.
Originally Posted by sham View Post
I would presume that eating cloned food might be dangerous, unless they get the process nearly flawless. Cloning diseased DNA, etc.

I'd think that finding and cloning a single good specimen would be a lot easier than keeping an entire herd free of genetic disease and unwanted mutation. Plus with GM you could make them resistant (as they do with crops already).

Seems far less risky.
My dad told me of a flying car...... It is possible now.
-----
If there was cloning It would be REALLY BAD there are 7 billion people on the earth! if there were more, Earth would be full of people! No more space to walk around the earth More houses taking up wilderness space less trees. We don't need clones and japanese people need to back the hell away from cloning because Less trees, Less oxygen.
Last edited by supaboyy; Jul 1, 2013 at 03:11 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Troll its a disease http://http://myfacewhen.com/71