Toribash
Originally Posted by deprav View Post
When we're calling someone "fag", we're making as much fun of homosexuals as we're making fun of homophobic people, in a sense. That's how I percieve it anyway.

I don't see any logic in this. If I were to call someone the N-word you wouldn't think I'm being racist, but instead I'm making fun of racists? And it doesn't really pertain to the question as to why sexuality-related slurs aren't treated the same as racial slurs.
My signature sucks
They aren't treated the same because they are different things. Double standards well never be fair or agreed upon.
Present to me the most beautiful woman, and I shall reward you with chronos
But Azure, they are based on the same basic ignorance and bigotry. And I don't know how you don't take issue with double standards, especially when they are with regards to our moral compass. There is a disturbing break in our moral integrity if we're quick to snuff out racism but casually let homophobic remarks slide.
Last edited by Thellian; Jul 2, 2013 at 07:19 AM. Reason: spelling
My signature sucks
For people that said that no insults in general should be allowed, that would pretty much be most of the staff gone... People need to learn how to take insults (at least the ones that are not racist etc)... I do agree with Thell though, would be quite nice to see people not hating on the homosexual ways. I myself do not think it is right to like the same sex, but that is my opinion, I try to keep that to myself, I don't express it by insulting somebody about their sexuality. People can keep their opinions to themselves such as we have to with racist comments in Toribash.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Happy Halloween!!!!!
[u]Ultimate | Team Shit-ido | National GayTerrorist Club |Photoshop Corp.
ELVIS ELVIS ELVIS ELVIS ELVIS ELVIS ELVIS---BootyShorts
R.I.P UNDEAD21, Beta, and Assazin
I don't see any logic in this. If I were to call someone the N-word you wouldn't think I'm being racist, but instead I'm making fun of racists?

Well as said, it depends on the context, if you were in the street, calling a black person the N-word for no particular reason I'll think you're a nasty racist piece shit, indeed.

But to be less ambiguous I'll take another exemple : if a dude tells me how much he loves people and soja milk, I might call him a "Fucking dirty hippy" right in his face, which would be making fun of hippies, but the absurd agressivity of my insult would also turn ridiculous the anti-hippy ideology.

In one word : sarcasm.
Well deprav, if you could prove that all the people saying "that's gay" and "you're a faggot" are just being sarcastic, then you'd have a point.
My signature sucks
Guise, don't worry about it.. http://forum.toribash.com/showpost.p...44&postcount=2 .... He'll let the Gm's handle it.

jkjk... internet sarcasm doesn't get around too well...
Last edited by Jak; Jul 2, 2013 at 07:52 AM.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Happy Halloween!!!!!
[u]Ultimate | Team Shit-ido | National GayTerrorist Club |Photoshop Corp.
ELVIS ELVIS ELVIS ELVIS ELVIS ELVIS ELVIS---BootyShorts
R.I.P UNDEAD21, Beta, and Assazin
Originally Posted by Thellian View Post
Well deprav, if you could prove that all the people saying "that's gay" and "you're a faggot" are just being sarcastic, then you'd have a point.

While I can't support deprav's theory entirely, I've never personally heard anyone use 'gay' or 'faggot' as a derogatory term against gays. However I do hear nigger used a lot more when referring to black people.

I don't think the two terms have similar usage; though you do get people being called a 'nigger' for blocking a kill or 'gay' for whatever dumb tactic they used, which are not to do with black people or homosexuals at all...

I think it's definitely a stretch to say that 'saying that a rainy day is gay insults homosexuals everywhere'. It's unreasonable to be insulted by something that isn't directed at you really, and it's not nice to insult people. So this topic should be completely obvious... Honestly oversensitive people are 99% of the problem.
If I catch you using homophobic or racial slurs in an insulting manner on my watch I'll infract you. All the same to me.
Just thought I'd put that out there.
How are you?
Originally Posted by Redundant View Post
If I catch you using homophobic or racial slurs in an insulting manner on my watch I'll infract you. All the same to me.
Just thought I'd put that out there.

But you will infract people for non-homophobic and non-racial slur insults too, right?