Toribash
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
I've never personally heard anyone use 'gay' or 'faggot' as a derogatory term against gays

Why do you suppose words like gay, faggot, and fag are used as insults? I doubt someone just thought it would be fun to say. Even if you don't use the words in a derogatory way, there are still plenty of people who do. And it doesn't change the fact the the words themselves are derogatory (unless used in specific context e.g; faggot meaning bundle of sticks or cigarette etc). Just as you wouldn't use "nigger" to describe something, regardless of your intentions, nor should you use gay and faggot as insults.
Last edited by Thellian; Jul 2, 2013 at 06:30 PM.
My signature sucks
Toribash does alot of homosexual jokes, guess its just that kind of community. Its probably because unlike racism it doesnt offend a large group of people. when you offend a large group of people at once, a heated battle of full servers can start, ending in everyone banned. IF someone went to far, like how earlier this year there was some guy going around asking people if they were male and if so if they could send them pics etc. he was banned. that would be an example where the staff would step in. If you ask a person not to make sexual jokes/comments and they do so anyways, you could report for harassment or something as such.

as others have already said. Its the accepted sense of humor on toribash by a majority. But sometimes in the gaming community period. the fact that you get tbagged on console games, and the fact when ever something is wrong in the gaming community you'll hear someone say "thats gay" is more than enough to support that fact.

Also, rarely do I ever see someone call another user gay, but many mis-spell insults such as "fag" as "faeg" or
to show sense of humor.
Last edited by iLiltay; Jul 2, 2013 at 06:32 PM.
Originally Posted by Thellian View Post
Why do you suppose words like gay, faggot, and fag are used as insults? I doubt someone just thought it would be fun to say. Even if you don't use the words in a derogatory way, there are still plenty of people who do. And it doesn't change the fact the the words themselves are derogatory (unless used in their archaic context e.g; faggot meaning bundle of sticks etc). Just as you wouldn't use "nigger" to describe something, regardless of your intentions, nor should you use gay and faggot as insults.

Explain the origins of 'bugger' please! Explain why gay and faggot were used for homosexuals in the first place please!

There are only two ways to prove your theory, prove it for all words, or find specific evidence for 'gay' and 'faggot' as insults.
fag·got2 [fag-uht] Show IPA
noun
Slang: Disparaging and Offensive. a male homosexual.
Origin:
1910–15, Americanism; compare faggot a contemptuous term for a woman (from circa 1590), perhaps the same word as fagot

Its slang that was turned into something it wasnt.

Gay=happy but being happy=slang for fruity= homosexual. but thats not the way toribash uses homosexual jokes.
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
There are only two ways to prove your theory, prove it for all words, or find specific evidence for 'gay' and 'faggot' as insults.

Are you really trying to say that gay and faggot aren't used as insults, or are you saying that because they have multiple meanings it's okay to use them as insults?

We don't use "bugger" in the states, but quick research found it has something to do about sodomy. So the fact that it's used as an insult implies there's something wrong about sodomy? I couldn't say. But again, words come to mean certain things and be used in certain ways for specific reasons. Even if you don't use the word with the intent of implying anything derogatory, you can't just ignore what it implies.

Originally Posted by iLiltay View Post
as others have already said. Its the accepted sense of humor on toribash by a majority.

That doesn't make it right.
Last edited by Thellian; Jul 2, 2013 at 06:50 PM.
My signature sucks
The slang meaning of faggot came from the word fagot which was a term meaning woman in 1910–15. from that meaning it came to a meaning for a male thats closer to a woman than a man.

anyways already said before. toribash doesnt use this as blatant insults and when it is so, offenders are banned
Toribash is not the sole community that uses gay jokes.

Racism is a viewed as more of a problem since all that went on over it.
boStaff pretty much cleared up everything about the word faggot. the meaning of the word
has changed like the use of the word retard.

Are you really trying to say that gay and faggot aren't used as insults, or are you saying that because they have multiple meanings it's okay to use them as insults?

We don't use "bugger" in the states, but quick research found it has something to do about sodomy. So the fact that it's used as an insult implies there's something wrong about sodomy?

I'm pretty sure the use of the word bugger is like the use of "dammit" or "fuck you"

I also think you're just being over sensitive.
Last edited by Nearly; Jul 2, 2013 at 06:53 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
wow that
sucked
anyways already said before. toribash doesnt use this as blatant insults and when it is so, offenders are banned

I have to strongly disagree. Everyday, at least in-game where I spend most of my time, the chat is inundated with garbage like "gay ass fag" or "fuck you faggot". I know most of the people who communicate like that are kids who don't know any better, but switch up "faggot" with "nigger" and nobody would stand for it. This is the double standard that should be eliminated.

Originally Posted by NearlyDead View Post

Ridiculous argument. The gay community hasn't suffered through enough to be treated as a real issue, is that what you mean to say?

I'm having a discussion about why homophobia isn't given the same treatment as racism.
Last edited by Thellian; Jul 2, 2013 at 07:01 PM.
My signature sucks
Toribash is not the sole community that uses gay jokes.

boStaff pretty much cleared up everything about the word faggot. the meaning of the word
has changed like the use of the word retard.
-----

I'm pretty sure the use of the word bugger is like the use of "dammit" or "fuck you"

as others have already said. Its the accepted sense of humor on toribash by a majority. But sometimes in the gaming community period. the fact that you get tbagged on console games, and the fact when ever something is wrong in the gaming community you'll hear someone say "thats gay" is more than enough to support that fact.

you werent responding to me were you? anyways the jokes are everywhere in this community. even in sig's and avvys(nearlydead lol). its not something I see going away from tb or the gaming community anytime soon.
-----
I have to strongly disagree. Everyday, at least in-game where I spend most of my time, the chat is inundated with garbage like "gay ass fag" or "fuck you faggot". I know most of the people who communicate like that are kids who don't know any better, but switch up "faggot" with "nigger" and nobody would stand for it. This is the double standard that should be eliminated.

If it was reported they would be banned. maybe you should start a little squad that repeats offenders and the world would be a better place \o/
-----
unlike racism it doesnt offend a large group of people. when you offend a large group of people at once, a heated battle of full servers can start, ending in everyone banned.

racism offends a large group of people. If you say nigger in a server, not only will every black person, but every person who has an issue with racism will jump in. its not just a argument between 2 people throwing insults around. you dont understand at all.
Last edited by iLiltay; Jul 2, 2013 at 07:01 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump