Ranking
valuing something according to who made it, makes it more of a collectors item than art. valuing the artist over the art, is both an insult to his art, but a compliment to the person.
valuing something according to the quality, is subjective.

Originally Posted by Thellian View Post
trying to tell someone what they should or shouldn't think is good, is kind of silly.

well, you can, but the lines often blur.
and there is a difference between quality and personal taste. you cant compare apples and oranges, but you can compare a fresh apple to a rotten banana.
to say you prefer a texture thats obviously not as good as some others, is a matter of personal preference and quality often holds little weight in such cases.

However:
sale prices should not be affected by personal preference, one shouldnt force buyers to pay higher than its actual value, just because you like it, from a sales perspective, sales SHOULD be objective, to be fair to the artist and to the buyer.
but bidders however, can bid as high as theyd like according to personal preference because that is their choice.

but then we come to the question again: "how do you value something which is subjective, while being objective?"

Originally Posted by Jodarok View Post
but many times i've seen mediocre work by a known artist and people have acted like it's another masterpiece.

there are always exceptions to the rule, but largely, its pretty accurate.
it is also easy for those less knowledgeable about art, to assume that the artist knows best.

Eh, it all makes sense in my head.
bottom line is, once youve made it, youre in. your name is as valuable as your work.
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
Are you everywhere?
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
i disagree.
I see most posts that go through the art board and i think the art board is pretty objective in the large scheme.
artists that build themselves a reputation for doing good work, generally do produce good work.

good work gets rewarded.
the users who think otherwise, generally think they are better than they actually are.

obviously there are exceptions, where some people get more recognition than is warranted, but that happens everywhere.

Ya I agree though, I don't even look at the artist until I look at the artwork.
"I have no fear, for fear is the little death that kills me over and over. Without fear, I die but once."