Ranking
Originally Posted by Holotor View Post
Before they fire? I don't know this as a fact but rapists wouldn't want to rape a dead person unless they're just fully messed up in the head..

What I meant was that they'd be busy groping or whatever and wouldn't pay attention to your hand reaching inside of your pocket to get a small bottle of pepper spray. Also, you don't 'lock and load' a spray cannister, just squeeze it.

Fire their pepper spray lol.
You two focus on one scenario too much. I suggest you try and generalize reasonably more. :P

Gun violence is essentially very dangerous. A criminal will have an initial advantage due to several factors. Surprise effect, planning and so forth. A criminal can be armed more easily when guns are not prohibited.
Gun violence can be avoided by getting rid of guns. Obviously not all acts of violence are commited with a gun, but reducing gun violence should be something to strive for.
Melee weapons are similar, but cannot be put into the same category as guns, as they are essentially omnipresent. They are also far away from being as lethal and they mostly serve purposes other than violence. Knives, for example, are mainly used as tools, not as weapons.
How are you?
Originally Posted by Redundant View Post
You two focus on one scenario too much. I suggest you try and generalize reasonably more. :P

The point is that in an equal force situation attacker will win every time.
Gun violence is essentially very dangerous. A criminal will have an initial advantage due to several factors. Surprise effect, planning and so forth. A criminal can be armed more easily when guns are not prohibited.
Gun violence can be avoided by getting rid of guns. Obviously not all acts of violence are commited with a gun, but reducing gun violence should be something to strive for.

I think the assumption that criminals will follow the law is a weak one at best.
Melee weapons are similar, but cannot be put into the same category as guns, as they are essentially omnipresent. They are also far away from being as lethal and they mostly serve purposes other than violence. Knives, for example, are mainly used as tools, not as weapons.

Knives are plenty capable of causing as much damage as a firearm. The only difference is range and rate.
A prohibition essentially makes something less available, including for criminals.
How are you?
Well, I suppose it all depends on what type of crime is being committed too.
Domestic violence, burglary, bank robbery, arson, etc.

I was mainly using the rape scenario because it's been coming up in the news a lot and it's a scenario where using weapons would be more acceptable than something like bank robbery.
Bank robberies rarely cause fatalities because everything is insured and the money is not yours to defend against an armed bod.
Domestic violence is between family, so a call to the police will solve that dispute.
Defending against an arsonist to protect property doesn't really happen often as far as I know due to the arsonist would plan out when to do it etc. Arson involving fire is a very hard case to solve as well.

Gun prohibition well, I agree that a restriction would have a small effect on reducing gun violence (not a large percentage though due to the criminal knows about the gun laws and wouldn't care for it).
And yet illegal firearms do exist.

http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/c...w%20paper.html

Some of the difference in the levels of legal ownership between handgun and longarm users might be explained by the reason detainees owned their respective firearms. Four in 10 police detainees who owned a longarm did so primarily for hunting/recreational purposes, which is a legitimate reason for some longarm firearm ownership in Australia. In contrast, 55 percent of detainees who owned handguns did so mostly for protection and self-defence reasons, which is not a valid reason for firearm ownership. However, around three in 10 longarm owners cited protection as the main reason they owned a rifle or shotgun. Research from the United States and United Kingdom highlighted the acquisition of firearms - often handguns - for protection purposes, particularly among people involved in the drug trade and similarly violent criminal associations (Hales, Lewis & Silverstone 2006; Lizotte et al. 2000).

A further 13 percent of police detainees who owned a handgun admitted use in criminal activity as the main reason they owned a handgun, compared with nine percent of longarm owners. Only two percent of both handgun and longarm owners possessed their chosen firearm for gang-related purposes.

Even in the poster child of gun control - Australia, the primary concern is on policing gun trafficking since laws do not stop criminals, police do.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1225205AAcmFje
How a criminal gets a weapon is besides the point. Whether or not they get one easily or not is besides the point.

If the question is whether guns or any sort of weapon is a good form of self-defense, it doesn't matter what the assailant has, but whether the rate of successful self-defense increases based on the availability of weapons to the defendant.

And all evidence seems to say that an increased availability of weapons for "self-defense" results in more homicides, more assaults, and less actual safety. Stand your ground laws in the U.S. resulted in an increased rate of homicides of 10% in states with those laws. States with lower gun ownership also have lower rates of homicide.

Of course, this then begs the question of whether it's an increase of guns causing more crime, or an increase of crime causing more people to buy guns, or some other factor that increases both. However, current evidence points towards an increase in guns creates an increase of crimes. As an example, women in states with more guns are almost 5 times more likely to be killed with a firearm than in states with less guns. Again, you can argue that more guns means a higher likelihood of being shot, but going even more precise, a woman is 6 times more likely to be shot by a person in a relationship with her, than a random stranger. A woman is 7 times more likely to be killed by her partner if her partner has a firearm. The availability of a firearm significantly increases the odds of being shot.

In addition, evidence also shows that ownership of weapons, particularly firearms, by victims has increased odds of the victim being seriously injured or killed. There's around a 400% chance increase in being shot during an assault if you carry a firearm for self-defense. There's around a 400% chance increase of being killed during an assault when you carry a firearm. Is it because people who are at greater risk carry firearms, or because you carry the firearm that you're at greater risk? Again, this requires more evidence, but it's highly likely that both play a factor. When an assailant perceives you as more threatening, they will either increase the severity of the attack to incapacitate you, or flee. And since firearms have a decent range, and the laws in America justify shooting somebody in the back if they attacked you as legitimate self-defense, the criminal has only one option if they discover a gun on their victim. They have to subdue the victim, or risk getting shot. Often, they will shoot their victim with the victim's own gun because of this.

So really, all evidence points towards firearms, and weapons through relatedness, being ineffectual, and often detrimental, to self-defense. At best, it's just correlation, with an increase of weapons being correlated with increased crime. Although it's highly unlikely it's that simple. At worst, an increase of weapons increases the severity and quantity of crime. Which is noticeable with current evidence.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
You are right, I should have been more precise.
I do not believe that it's a civilian's job to enforce laws. I do think that defending yourself against a criminal with violence should be the least of all options. The best thing you can do is 1. run away 2. call the police 3. stay out savely.
When those options are not available to you you may fight back, but to do that you do not need a loaded gun, you can use tools that you can improvise with other tools you can find around your house (yes, I realize that that sounds somewhat ignorant, but considering the potential dangers of owning a gun it seems more ignorant to me to arm people who never received proper training).
Guns have the potential to help both the criminals and the victims, leading to a vicious circle.
Therefore I am in favour of a prohibition if that can be enforced, as stated in my first post.

Well, look at it this way.

Laws are legally binding consequences, right? As such, a law must be broken in order for the police to get involved. The police can't resurrect you after you've been rapemurdered, but they can punish the person who did it assuming they find out who it was. Why should you not take precautions to protect yourself from being rapemurdered. Protecting yourself from criminal activity is very different from enforcing the law. If my life is in danger, I am responsible to protect myself, the police are responsible for catching the criminal and enforcing the legally binding consequences after they get a trial. If I need a gun to secure my well-being, so be it.

The point is, enforcing the law and protecting citizens are two very different things, and the latter is far more difficult for the state to do and is indeed in the hands of the citizens. The state can and does protect you against foreign threats, but domestic threats are in a different category.

The best solution is not running away, as if you are running away, not only are you presenting the offender with the opportunity to also get away and not face the consequences for their actions, but you are also under an immediate threat, and if someone wants to rape and murder you, they will have no problems incapacitating you if they spot you. Calling the police is not the second best solution, as they can't really protect you unless they have the ability to instantaneously teleport to your location. Defending yourself is the best solution, as you are responsible for your own well being. The government is responsible for deterring crime, but in the end, the police cannot camp outside your house and prevent any criminals from doing anything, hence why they rely on legally-binding consequences to ensure that the person who rapemurdered you won't get off scot-free(unless they do, in which case, cold case go).

In regards to guns and potential prohibition, I feel that automatic weapons and high-capacity magazines for semi-automatic weapons should be banned. Apart from that, I think state laws should be amended to avoid deterring individuals from protecting themselves when they risk being rapemurdered, but also not go into extremes such as the laws in Florida.
Hoss.
When those options are not available to you you may fight back, but to do that you do not need a loaded gun

What if the criminal has a loaded gun?
[23:23:53] <AndChat|700625> Blue eyes ultimate dragon best card
[23:24:29] <AndChat|700625> You know the one with 3 heads
[23:24:39] <~Lightningkid> just like my dick

[11:35:40] <box> Hampa suck
[11:36:21] <hampa> not the first to tell me that today
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
How a criminal gets a weapon is besides the point. Whether or not they get one easily or not is besides the point.

If the question is whether guns or any sort of weapon is a good form of self-defense, it doesn't matter what the assailant has, but whether the rate of successful self-defense increases based on the availability of weapons to the defendant.

And all evidence seems to say that an increased availability of weapons for "self-defense" results in more homicides, more assaults, and less actual safety. Stand your ground laws in the U.S. resulted in an increased rate of homicides of 10% in states with those laws. States with lower gun ownership also have lower rates of homicide.

Of course, this then begs the question of whether it's an increase of guns causing more crime, or an increase of crime causing more people to buy guns, or some other factor that increases both. However, current evidence points towards an increase in guns creates an increase of crimes. As an example, women in states with more guns are almost 5 times more likely to be killed with a firearm than in states with less guns. Again, you can argue that more guns means a higher likelihood of being shot, but going even more precise, a woman is 6 times more likely to be shot by a person in a relationship with her, than a random stranger. A woman is 7 times more likely to be killed by her partner if her partner has a firearm. The availability of a firearm significantly increases the odds of being shot.

In addition, evidence also shows that ownership of weapons, particularly firearms, by victims has increased odds of the victim being seriously injured or killed. There's around a 400% chance increase in being shot during an assault if you carry a firearm for self-defense. There's around a 400% chance increase of being killed during an assault when you carry a firearm. Is it because people who are at greater risk carry firearms, or because you carry the firearm that you're at greater risk? Again, this requires more evidence, but it's highly likely that both play a factor. When an assailant perceives you as more threatening, they will either increase the severity of the attack to incapacitate you, or flee. And since firearms have a decent range, and the laws in America justify shooting somebody in the back if they attacked you as legitimate self-defense, the criminal has only one option if they discover a gun on their victim. They have to subdue the victim, or risk getting shot. Often, they will shoot their victim with the victim's own gun because of this.

So really, all evidence points towards firearms, and weapons through relatedness, being ineffectual, and often detrimental, to self-defense. At best, it's just correlation, with an increase of weapons being correlated with increased crime. Although it's highly unlikely it's that simple. At worst, an increase of weapons increases the severity and quantity of crime. Which is noticeable with current evidence.

What evidence? From what I've seen the increased availability of weapons (specifically guns) is not parallel to increased crime rate. Australian gun control was almost completely ineffective and cost the Australian government millions. 12 months after the ban homicide rates went up, assault rates went up, armed robberies went up, and in some cases homicides with guns rose up to 300 percent higher. Sure their crime rates have decreased almost insignificantly since then, but it was decreasing before the gun bans. If you look at the murder rates of developed countries with strict gun laws or low gun ownership rates and compare them to other developed countries with high gun ownership rates you will notice that gun possession has a pretty insignificant effect on murder rates. Sure the number of mass homicides will decline, but those are responsible for barely a percentage of homicides per year. Plus more guns=more death is assuming that the ordinary person commits crimes such as murder. Either way, "weapons of self-defense" are for the most part useless, but if they provide a person or family with a higher sense of security then why not let them have them. Not to sound cliché, but gun control isn't about guns its about control, and that somewhat applies to all weapons.
DAMN.