Toribash
Original Post
Smoking/Second-Hand
As by an athlete's view, smoking really bothers me. I have relatives that smoke, and by doing so it makes it really hard to be around them. The smell of it by my fit body just feels like a repellant.

As far as I know,(and as commercials try to convey by extremity) smoking can do some really bad things to your body. My question is, do you think smoking is worth a shorter life and possibly endangering the lives around you? What are your views about tobacco-like products in society, and although it is an addiction, people get a steady stream of money from the sales of cigarettes/the like, do you think could we afford to rid the world of it as well?
I'm peronally pretty skeptical about second hand smoking being a major health issue. Smokers generally try not to blow their smoke in people's face and far from children (at least I do), and even tho you'd inhale less thant 1/10 or 1/20 of the quantity of smoke a regular smoker does.
I understand the smell being repellant for non-smoking people tho.

But I think there are way worst substances we inhale everyday in our current atmosphere : car gaz, industrial rejections, chemical products etc... hell even barbecue causes cancer.
I'm not saying second-hand smoke is only bullshit, I'm saying I don't think it's the only cause of "breath" related cancers for non-smoking people.

I smoke reasonnably, I'm not one of those smoking a pack of cigarets daily. I think it's like any other substance, it's all about control and not smoking in excess. Humans have been doing drugs since the dawn of time afterall, it's his industrialisation that allows us to use more than reason allows.

And to asnwer your question : do you think smoking is worth a shorter life and possibly endangering the lives around you?

I personally think that smoking or not, we'll most likely get some cancer from something else considering our actual way of consuming industrial shitty stuff. And life can be shortened by so many things... accidents, unexpected diseases, bad choices, cataclisms, and in some countries : wars and bombings etc...
So I think smoking is a lesser problem for me, as long as it stays reasonnable and still allows me to do some sports without breathing issues, and if it does someday I'd probably cut back a lot. But then again, it's only my opinion.
It may not be anything more than an issue of comfort for most people when exposed to secondhand smoke, but for some, it is a serious health issue.

When I was younger, my asthma was bad enough that I had to carry an emergency inhaler, and take daily doses of some drug where I had to strap a mask to my face and spend 30 minutes inhaling it. Excluding heavy physical exertion, the most common reason I would need to use the inhaler was because of breathing too much secondhand smoke. If I wasn't paying attention and I walked into a group of smokers and took a breath, I would be hacking and wheezing within a minute. This isn't exclusive to just me either; any child with asthma risks having an attack when exposed to secondhand smoke, and risks increasing the severity of their asthma, as second hand smoke can reduce lung function by reducing the size of the respiratory tract.

In addition, even outside children with asthma, secondhand smoke can increase the odds of contracting a respiratory disease, increase the odds of developing asthma, and is a known carcinogen.

http://www.epa.gov/smokefre/healtheffects.html

Secondhand smoke is definitely not something that should be taken lightly.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
Originally Posted by deprav View Post
I'm peronally pretty skeptical about second hand smoking being a major health issue. Smokers generally try not to blow their smoke in people's face and far from children (at least I do), and even tho you'd inhale less thant 1/10 or 1/20 of the quantity of smoke a regular smoker does.
I understand the smell being repellant for non-smoking people tho.

But I think there are way worst substances we inhale everyday in our current atmosphere : car gaz, industrial rejections, chemical products etc... hell even barbecue causes cancer.
I'm not saying second-hand smoke is only bullshit, I'm saying I don't think it's the only cause of "breath" related cancers for non-smoking people.

I smoke reasonnably, I'm not one of those smoking a pack of cigarets daily. I think it's like any other substance, it's all about control and not smoking in excess. Humans have been doing drugs since the dawn of time afterall, it's his industrialisation that allows us to use more than reason allows.

And to asnwer your question : do you think smoking is worth a shorter life and possibly endangering the lives around you?

I personally think that smoking or not, we'll most likely get some cancer from something else considering our actual way of consuming industrial shitty stuff. And life can be shortened by so many things... accidents, unexpected diseases, bad choices, cataclisms, and in some countries : wars and bombings etc...
So I think smoking is a lesser problem for me, as long as it stays reasonnable and still allows me to do some sports without breathing issues, and if it does someday I'd probably cut back a lot. But then again, it's only my opinion.

Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
It may not be anything more than an issue of comfort for most people when exposed to secondhand smoke, but for some, it is a serious health issue.

When I was younger, my asthma was bad enough that I had to carry an emergency inhaler, and take daily doses of some drug where I had to strap a mask to my face and spend 30 minutes inhaling it. Excluding heavy physical exertion, the most common reason I would need to use the inhaler was because of breathing too much secondhand smoke. If I wasn't paying attention and I walked into a group of smokers and took a breath, I would be hacking and wheezing within a minute. This isn't exclusive to just me either; any child with asthma risks having an attack when exposed to secondhand smoke, and risks increasing the severity of their asthma, as second hand smoke can reduce lung function by reducing the size of the respiratory tract.

In addition, even outside children with asthma, secondhand smoke can increase the odds of contracting a respiratory disease, increase the odds of developing asthma, and is a known carcinogen.

http://www.epa.gov/smokefre/healtheffects.html

Secondhand smoke is definitely not something that should be taken lightly.

Yep.
The smoke that a passive smoker inhales in is actually worse than the smoke the smoker inhales. The filter at the end takes a tiny bit of the toxic chemicals away. Not to mention that the white smoke you see or the scent you smell are not the only ones a cigarette produces. Some of the smoke is not visible, or odorless. If someone starts smoking in my presence, I ask them to do it outside if it's a friend, or I remain silent if it's a stranger I probably won't see anymore. If they smoke a lot during the evening, I start coughing gently.
I just want them to finish the cigarette as quickly as possible and not contaminate my lungs (which are already contaminated since my mother smokes) any further.
Last edited by Arglax; Aug 17, 2013 at 11:35 PM.
f=m*a syens
Besides, you can't really be pro smoking and then tell fat people to change their lives. It's the same thing. Fat people damage their own system directly and may cause some harm to others indirectly. Smokers cause worse damage to their own system directly and damage to others directly as well. I could expand it to some of your points of views and say that if you can't smoke, you're a "worthless, spineless quitter and you are inferior both mentally and physically to other people. I will deny you your job just because you smoke." -> not much difference there (should banned post in here).

I'm not sure Oracle is participating to the obesity discussion so I'll take a guess and take it for me ;p But I think you mixed up with some other dude.
I was precisely arguing you can't tell obese people to change their lives and judge them, they of course can and I'd encourage them if they feel like it's a problem for them, just like I'd encourage a smoker to quit smoking if he feels he has to. I'm not "pro-smoker", smoking is bad but around I think we're aware enough not to smoke near people bothered by cigarets, and I think we all have the right to choose how to fuck our health up.

And to make the link with obesity even further, just as tobacco companies aren't allowed to make TV advertisements for cigarets (around here at least), maybe food companies shouldn't be allowed to make advertisements for their crappy unhealthy food ;o

On a personnal note, I'm more of a cigaret smoker by default : I prefere smoking pot, and I actually smoke way less tobacco when I've some hash/weed in stock. If it was entirely up to me I'd grow my own shit and smoke sporadically to reduce my consumption to a minimum.

Now that you guys said it, I remind hearing/reading something about second hand smoke being more nocive at same quantity (10ml of 2ndhand smoke being more nocive than 10ml of the smoke someone directly inhale from a cigaret) ; And it sure is bad for people already having breathing issues and heart diseases, no questions asked. People just have to be "civil" and respect the fact some people don't want to breath our shit, but we have the right to dispose of our body as we wish imo.

But I still think car pollution and chemical rejections are more nocive than 2nd hand smoke.
Last edited by deprav; Aug 14, 2013 at 07:12 PM.
In response to OP: I can't tell whether you think we should just outright ban smoking or not.
My personal view is that people are free to do as they please as long as they are not ostensibly hurting others. So, people should be able to smoke privately. Publicly, however, it should not be tolerated because it affects the health of others.
Another thing that shouldn't be tolerated is parents who smoke around their children. You have the right to harm yourself as much as you want (short of suicide, but that's a different discussion), but you don't have the right to harm your children.
My signature sucks
I'm not sure Oracle is participating to the obesity discussion so I'll take a guess and take it for me ;p But I think you mixed up with some other dude.

I was precisely arguing you can't tell obese people to change their lives and judge them, they of course can and I'd encourage them if they feel like it's a problem for them, just like I'd encourage a smoker to quit smoking if he feels he has to. I'm not "pro-smoker", smoking is bad but around I think we're aware enough not to smoke near people bothered by cigarets, and I think we all have the right to choose how to fuck our health up.

No, no I didn't mix you up with banned. I put "Should banned post here" at the end of my post to prevent misunderstandings like this.

And to make the link with obesity even further, just as tobacco companies aren't allowed to make TV advertisements for cigarets (around here at least), maybe food companies shouldn't be allowed to make advertisements for their crappy unhealthy food ;o

Yep.

On a personnal note, I'm more of a cigaret smoker by default : I prefere smoking pot, and I actually smoke way less tobacco when I've some hash/weed in stock. If it was entirely up to me I'd grow my own shit and smoke sporadically to reduce my consumption to a minimum.

Now that you guys said it, I remind hearing/reading something about second hand smoke being more nocive at same quantity (10ml of 2ndhand smoke being more nocive than 10ml of the smoke someone directly inhale from a cigaret) ; And it sure is bad for people already having breathing issues and heart diseases, no questions asked. People just have to be "civil" and respect the fact some people don't want to breath our shit, but we have the right to dispose of our body as we wish imo.

But I still think car pollution and chemical rejections are more nocive than 2nd hand smoke.

Sure, but this is about passive smoking. I'm not taking away anybody's right to smoke, I just think you shouldn't smoke in anyone's presence.
f=m*a syens
Originally Posted by Thellian View Post
In response to OP: I can't tell whether you think we should just outright ban smoking or not.
My personal view is that people are free to do as they please as long as they are not ostensibly hurting others. So, people should be able to smoke privately. Publicly, however, it should not be tolerated because it affects the health of others.
Another thing that shouldn't be tolerated is parents who smoke around their children. You have the right to harm yourself as much as you want (short of suicide, but that's a different discussion), but you don't have the right to harm your children.

I'm not saying you should ban smoking, in my personal opinion id rather just not have any smokers in my presence often. I agree with your last statement, its a sad thing to know that people purposely smoke around their children(even the ones in a stroller). As Oracle said, asthma and smoking is a bad mix, and smoking around children could cause just that, since their lungs are still developing.

Originally Posted by Arglax View Post
Sure, but this is about passive smoking. I'm not taking away anybody's right to smoke, I just think you shouldn't smoke in anyone's presence.

I agree fully. Its just common courtesy.
Well there is no question, smoking is extremely on healthy, second hand smoke is extremely unhealthy. As a smoker in the process of quitting, I can say its not that hard actually. I smoke 1 pack in 1 week which is down from the pack every other day. That is 2 cigarettes a day, 3 on Saturday. I've never actually read the studies, its apparent that breathing any kind of smoke into your lungs is unhealthy, and obviously even the most organic cigarettes are still known to cause extreme health complications. But I'm going out on a limb and saying that second hand smoke from a smoker walking past you on the street and blowing smoke in the opposite direction will have next to no negative consequences on your body. On the other hand living in a house of smokers would be very bad for the person who is breathing in the second hand smoke, especially children, that just makes me sick.

Here in America you can be denied a job based on the question "Do you smoke cigarettes" Its managed by state to state law. But more states are pushing for it to be a non discernment question.
Last edited by Arglax; Aug 17, 2013 at 11:35 PM.
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
I don't know any parents who smoke around their children, or in the house.

I do. My neighbors, unfortunately. I made a passive remark about it one time, something along the lines of "Should you really smoke around your kids?" and they became very defensive.
I'm glad you're quitting, but there are plenty of people who refuse to believe there's anything wrong with smoking, or simply don't care.

Originally Posted by Banned View Post
I also believe in my town there was a law or ordnance that required you to be 20 feet from public building or storefronts that did not want you smoking in front of there store.

My college campus is a smoke-free zone so smokers take to the parking lots to smoke. I have to walk by them on my way to class. It may seem insignificant, but if I'm involuntarily being made to breath in smoke everyday, even if it's just for a few seconds, it could add up over time. This is why public smoking in general, even if you're outside of a smoke-free zone, is still something to be concerned about.
My signature sucks