Ranking
Original Post
Issues with some video chipsets
I have not been able to get the Toribash demo to work on a Dell GX280 (Intel 82915G/GV/910GL) on Windows 2000. Whenever I start the game it does nothing, no error, no screens popup, just nothing, never starts. I can get into the Tori Launcher, but pressing the "start toribash" just quits to desktop.

However the game DOES work on a Dell GX260 (Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV) on Windows XP. So I'm wondering what the big difference is between these two machines because both these graphics chipsets are hardly anything special, not even dedicated memory or 3D accelleration.

Does this game support win2k? Also what are basic video requirements for the game?

The game works well under Vista, until I try to make a shortcut to it, and then Vista causes Toribash to no longer work at all. It may have to do with the fact that Vista hates separate partitions that are used as the primary programs storage. I reinstalled it, and it worked fine, still no shortcut though

Good job implementing heavy physics in a fighting game, lots of fun!
Re: Issues with some video chipsets
Win2k is old. 7 years old to be precise. I'd feel sorry for anyone still using such an old OS. There are better ones than XP, but that is OOOLD.

And yeah, if you've never noticed, there ARE program compatability issues with QUITE a few games and Win2k. Because it's so old.
Q = QUAKER OATS
Three rules of Q - 1. Qegola and Quarantine both start with Q. 2. There is no U in Qegola. 3. Qegola is you new god.

So a man walks into a bar with a monkey. I forgot the rest of the joke but your mom is a whore.
Windows 98 is still the best windows operating system. XP did fix some reliability issues, but also increased overhead (it does stuff no one needs and takes more resources).

Windows 2000 was never designed for gaming, but for work and office use. Make sure you have the latest graphics drivers installed. The main thing is OpenGL support.

See if there is a file called stderr.txt in the Toribash folder, if so, put the contents here so we can find the problem.
I has a flavour
Are you serious about win98? :o

That was unstable beyond imagination.

XP is quite good. Talking about overhead, Vista uses about 512ram for idling, for what I've heard.
"Well, nevermind. We are ugly, but we have the music." -Leonard Cohen
Originally Posted by Corporate_Penguin
Are you serious about win98? :o

That was unstable beyond imagination.

XP is quite good. Talking about overhead, Vista uses about 512ram for idling, for what I've heard.

Ever heard of Windows ME? There is a reason Microsoft don't mention it any more.

Try running a good-old-fashioned DOS game in XP. Here is an example of one: GTA1. O wait, doesn't work... hmm... try compatibility mode... hmm... still doesn't work? Oh snap.

OK. XP has full-window alpha blending (making it transparent). Hmm... ever seen that? Nope? That is because no one uses it because it is stupid. Does XP still have the support and load all the stuff into memory to do it? Yes. Will XP run on a machine with 32MB of RAM? No. Will '98? Yes.
Will XP allow you to remove the useless stuff during the install? No. Does '98? Yes.

Also, in Vista, open the task manager. Now press SHIFT 5 times. Sticky keys comes up. O wait, 2MB of RAM just got used. Press SHIFT 5 more times, another 2MB?!? I have crashed someone's machine with this. Vista is a RAM whore.

Anyway. Get on-topic.

Simple answer is: The official Windows support is for XP. We will try to help as much as we can though.
Have you looked in your Toribash folder for stderr.txt? This is the only way we can help you further at the moment.
I has a flavour
Originally Posted by TUnified
I have not been able to get the Toribash demo to work on a Dell GX280 (Intel 82915G/GV/910GL) on Windows 2000. Whenever I start the game it does nothing, no error, no screens popup, just nothing, never starts. I can get into the Tori Launcher, but pressing the "start toribash" just quits to desktop.

Anything in stderr.txt?

We had someone who ran Toribash on win98 so it should run on most machines.