Ranking
Original Post
Buying a "new" GPU
Hey guys, just like the title says, I want to buy a GPU. The problem is that my rig is pretty old so of course I won't be able to get a GTX 780. So I'm asking you if you can recommand me a Card that suits with my rig and can play games like Skyrim or BF3 (I don't care about the grafics itself, I just want to make it playable with a decent fps rate)
Mainboard : MSI K9N6GM-V
Power Supply : Compucase HEC-350TP-2WS 350W
CPU : AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Dual Core
RAM : 2GB DDR 2

Don't care about the Budget, I think I'll get a used GPU in a computer store nearby or eBay.
Last edited by Mongius; Oct 22, 2013 at 03:49 PM.
Got any problems or questions about computers or any other tech?Feel free to PM me any time. Lmod for Computer/Mobile Chat
You can get a really good GPU, GTX 550 ti or and Radeon HD 7770 that can play both of those games at a decent framerate. But the problem is your power supply.
Definitely not Josh Lintag
I was thinking about updating that one too. A friend of mine got a free 800W power supply when he bought his 570 GTX. What do you think would be good with the 7770? I can spend about 260$ for both

EDIT : I've been reading around a bit and now I'm thinking of purchasing an ATI HD 6870. Do you think I can handle it?
Last edited by Mongius; Oct 23, 2013 at 12:28 PM.
Got any problems or questions about computers or any other tech?Feel free to PM me any time. Lmod for Computer/Mobile Chat
Originally Posted by Mongius View Post
I was thinking about updating that one too. A friend of mine got a free 800W power supply when he bought his 570 GTX. What do you think would be good with the 7770? I can spend about 260$ for both

EDIT : I've been reading around a bit and now I'm thinking of purchasing an ATI HD 6870. Do you think I can handle it?

Aww, sorry bro. The 6870 requires a 500-watt powersupply.
http://www.amd.com/US/PRODUCTS/DESKT...verview.aspx#3

If you can upgrade yours, it would be great! \o/
Definitely not Josh Lintag
Honestly, it wouldn't be great. Your cpu and ram bottleneck the hell out of everything, so getting a new GPU wouldn't do anything unless you upgraded your rig or it was something like a 7770 (which isn't bad). Also, 32 bit win7 is pretty bad compared to 64 bit, and if you ever plan to upgrade your rig, (ie 4-8gb of ram and a decent 4-8 core 2x-4x ghz cpu), you will need to reinstall your os to grab 64 bit unless you never plan to upgrade.

Anyway, tl;dr, your cpu and ram also say a lot in framerate of video games, so don't just get a nice gpu and expect it to be perfect, you really should just try to upgrade your rig or something.
For a GPU I'd go with the Sapphire Radeon HD 6570 2GB, for only £50 (~$75) from ebuyer. According to my friend who owns one, it can play BF3 on max, but I'm not too sure whether or not your other components will be able to keep up. 2gb of RAM does seem a little low, so I'd recommend boosting up to 4gb for some extra peace of mind and future proofing.

As for the power supply and the processor, I'm unsure, but I'd probably upgrade those too.

Also, make sure the GPU will fit in your case, otherwise you may come into some issues.
| old boi | Cyri | Xioi | Chill | SparChar | Fatman | JackMorris |
"Go back in time and get it tomorrow" - Jack