http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digi...ital+1tb+black

HDD2:

SSD to be considered at a later date

PSU:
Corsair Builder Series 600w PSU

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ALYOTTI/?tag=pcp0f-21

Windows 7 Home Premium

Misc: Case - Fans - Monitor - Keyboard - Mouse

Thanks to 4zb41 for all the help! Give that man a goddamn cookie.
Last edited by souldevilj; Dec 16, 2013 at 02:16 PM.
Originally Posted by souldevilj View Post
I want to only spend £600 if possible. I can go slightly higher than that, say around £650.

Just that :'P
A few things:
  1. You do NOT need a 800w PSU for a GTX 660 with a i5 4670k CPU. HOWEVER that PSU is very well priced. I'm a little suspicious but I don't have time to look into it now, I'll check later.
  2. Likewise, you don't need a 4670k alongside a GTX 660. Generally speaking, GPU takes priority over CPU (not a lot of games are that CPU intensive). If you cut back to say an i5 4570 (£147.44) you can save a little and notice little difference.
    (Also K models are for overclocking - you don't need it if you don't feel comfortable with it)
    Again you can put the cash toward a better GPU (like an R9 270x (£149.12), GTX 760 (£198.91) maybe)
  3. That HDD is a little slow (green < blue < black in order of speed) but it shouldn't matter too much.
  4. Yes, as you've noted your mobo is overkill. It's a nice board and all but you do not need it in your price range where your cash can go elsewhere (Case/Monitor). Some alternatives which will work well for you are the ASRock Z87 Extreme 3 (£86.65) and the Gigabyte Z87X-D3H (£94.00)
  5. RAM is RAM is RAM. Really there is little difference between them to worry about for gaming, so whatever 2x4gb RAM you can find for cheap will work. The G.Skill RAM you've picked out is well priced so that's ok. You'd only save a pound or two with other brands anyway.

EDIT:
I am back and no longer busy.
I looked into that Xilence 800W power supply and the news isn't good - Xilence PSUs are known to die early and the 800w doesn't mean anything as it doesn't boast the amperage of a normal 800w PSU.
I would recommend you buy a 600+W PSU from a reliable brand such as the M12II Seasonic 620w (£72.93) or the Corsair CX 600W (£54.61). Note that these PSUs will be sufficient. The only time you'll be needing something bigger is if you started putting anything like a GTX 760 or up in SLI. Which you won't be doing any time soon :P

From the suggestions I've made above, you will have saved £70.03 from the mobo and £31.44 from the CPU for a total of £101.47 spare.
Now, we can put that dosh toward a better GPU (listed as price above your stated gtx 660):Or toward a new case and/or monitor of your choice. The R9 270X and GTX 760 are both very good cards with the GTX 760 being better, but obviously more expensive. If you went with the R9 270X you'd have a lot more cash saved that you can put toward a fancy case of your choosing or maybe some case fans, LEDs and whathaveyou.
If you went with my suggestions as listed above, selecting the cheaper parts that would come to a total of £541.15 not including the case or monitor. A good case will run you between the range of maybe £50-£70 and you could get a good 1920x1080 monitor for about £90.00 but now you're over budget...
You're also going to have to factor in the operating system - unless you "obtain" it or you're a student who can get it for free via MS Dreamspark that's going to run your budget into the ground too :<

In fact, you could just stick with the GTX 660 and save yourself some cash - it's by no means a bad card. It's actually pretty good. But £8.26 extra is not that much to pay for a superior card, in my opinion.
Last edited by 4zb41; Dec 15, 2013 at 03:26 AM.
Originally Posted by 4zb41 View Post
"-Very detailed and helpful stuff-

Thank you so much for putting in all that effort to find me a better deal and parts that are more suited for what I want/more cost effective purchasing.

I will do as you recommend and stick a little more towards the better GPU and cut back on the CPU as I probably won't overclock it. As for the case and monitor, I excluded them from the budget as I have a temporary monitor and the case will be something somebody gifts me :')

As for that research into the PSU, thank you very much for making sure I didn't get something that was suspiciously cheap- you must definitely know your stuff if you could tell something was wrong about that component

I'll also get a blue or black instead, I looked up what you said and yeah the Green seems to be the 'eco' version of the various models.

Just a quick question; would you say getting an SSD at some point is worth the money at all? If it could produce a noticeable difference I wouldn't mind eventually adding an SSD in the future :') And another! I noticed on a PC building website that you can add sound cards, is this unnecessary? I thought computers has integrated sound cards ^^'
Thank you so much for putting in all that effort to find me a better deal and parts that are more suited for what I want/more cost effective purchasing.

You're welcome

Just a quick question; would you say getting an SSD at some point is worth the money at all?

If you have the cash to burn, yes. They're very fast but you don't really need one and they're very expensive. If you put your operating system on one though it'll boot like ZOOM. Basically anything you put on one is going to load very fast.

And another! I noticed on a PC building website that you can add sound cards, is this unnecessary? I thought computers has integrated sound cards ^^'

You don't need a sound card unless you're one of those audiophile types. The motherboards I listed both have integrated audio with all the different ports for all kinds of speakers.
Thank you! I will consider an SSD after I have already had the computer for a while and load up games and the OS on it ^^
Okay, so I won't get a sound card -phew- x)

Thanks again 47b41, you've been a really really great help to me :')
-----
Ah another thought if you don't mind answering ^^'
Would you say I should purchase this from scan or do you purchase your parts elsewhere? :')
All this would be bought from my bank account and I'm not too sure where to be entering my details online haha xD
Last edited by souldevilj; Dec 16, 2013 at 01:02 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Ah another thought if you don't mind answering ^^'
Would you say I should purchase this from scan or do you purchase your parts elsewhere? :')
All this would be bought from my bank account and I'm not too sure where to be entering my details online haha xD

I'm not in the UK so I was just browsing some recommended sites for where those parts were cheapest while not venturing into the "suspiciously low price" zone.
Scan is recommended by PCPartPicker so I would think they're trustworthy, and of course Amazon is Amazon.

Originally Posted by souldevilj
Thanks again 47b41, you've been a really really great help to me :')

No problem, have fun with the build ;)
Last edited by 4zb41; Dec 16, 2013 at 02:31 AM.