Toribash
Original Post
Decrease FPS Lag
If you don't know what FPS is, you've probably not been playing enough video games. FPS is Frames Per Second. What it means is the rate in which the images for games are updated. FPS is vital for Toribash, since if it's too slow, you may find it difficult to play.

If your FPS is low (for expample, mine is 10) the game will appear to lag. For those like me that don't have good/working graphics cards, here is the solution to your problems.

1. Create a shortcut to Toribash.

2. Right click and select properties.

3. In the "Target" area, put the following behind it:
-width x -height y
4. Replace the x and y with any numbers with a 4:3 ratio. To get x, multiply y times 1.33333333... and round to the nearest number. To get y divide by 1.33333333....

5. Try Toribash and repeat until you get a satisfying result.

6. Also try with Fullscreen on. This will make a small window, appear big!
(To turn Fullscreen on, go to setup, and replace the 0 behind "fullscreen" with a 1. This will distort the game if you don't have your aspect ration correct, or if the window is extremely small [Like 400 x 300])

Note: Some menus may be cut off. I suggest using 640 and 480 (I got 15 fps, that's only 5 more, but it is pretty noticeable). All that will be cut off is the quit, but you can select it using the arrow keys, putting the mouse over "Single player", pushing "up" on the keypad, then pressing enter. Also, if it is too small, multilayer may not work because the menu will adapt to the size of the screen, and you wont be able to select a server.

If you have horrendous lag, or want Toribash to be very small, 400 and 300 do very well (I got 25 fps).

This will not let you enable shaders if you couldn't before.

Example of target:
"C:\Program Files\Toribash-3.06\toribash.exe" -width 640 -height 480
Be sure to make ONE space behind the ending ", and do not remove the " or it will not work. If it doesn't work, this is most likely your problem.

For those whom do not believe:

(my desktop looks like that cause I recently had to reformat . My HDD got corrupted; Shell32.dll to be exact)

I would like it if you posted your before and after FPS.
I request before and after
FPS ONLY. Not just before FPS. I only want you to post your FPS if this guide helped you.

Read below posts for more options to increase your FPS!
Last edited by Nuyashaki; Jan 11, 2008 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Picture fucked up :P
-antialiasing 0
凸[◣_◢]凸 PRAISE LID 凸[◣_◢]凸 FUCK THA HATERS 凸[◣_◢]凸 PUT THIS IN YO SIG IF U DOWN 凸[◣_◢]凸
Thanks jepoy that helped. Mine was like 10 fps, now it is around 30 or 40. Is their a way to make it even less resolution, so it would run even faster?
~®awksoniC
---
/.---------====/:::::=:=:::::\====---------.\
|..D.....A....\...../...|./.../’’..../”’\...|\..|...|.../’’’..|
|..l \.../..\....\/\/....l.\..._/....\,,/...|..\|...|...\_,'.|
\.---------====\:::::=:=:::::/====---------./
Also, for some cards, it will be -aa 0 instead of -antialiasing 0, so try both.
Also, for me, the preset shortcut (no width or height modification) randomly lags, 800 x 600:50-60fps, 800 x 600(Not specified in shortcut):20-30 fps randomly.
RabidClone, it's not randomly lagging. When ever you get in complex fighting positions like in complex grabs, it takes more CPU/GPU power to process the stuff that's happening.

Also turning on frame skipping helps. It made the game playable with 10 fps.

And I didn't even know Toribash had antialiasing. :P

rawksonic, type "/re 640 480" it works nearly flawlessly ingame. Only the quit button is out of view.
Last edited by Nuyashaki; Jan 2, 2008 at 09:45 PM.
Nuyashaki and RabidClone: The lag caused in such grabs is due to the engine struggling to calculate the required physics - this can be solved by turning ghosts off. Press B until this happens.

Also, if you have a fairly powerful processor, you can turn the game's processing priority up. To do this, press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and select the Processes tab. Check the "CPU Usage" counter and make sure it's under 50%. Next, find "tb.exe" in the list, right-click, and set the priority to "Above Normal".
Last edited by 3vi1; Jan 3, 2008 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Fixed process name.
"Call yourself alive? I promise you you'll be deafened by dust falling on the furniture,
you'll feel your eyebrows turning to two gashes, and your shoulder blades will ache for want of wings."
Wow. Changing the priority usually makes it fuck up for me. And the process is "tb.exe", not "toribash.exe"