Ranking
Original Post
Advice on buying a new computer
Since I have no idea what's the best to buy, I thought I'd ask you guys. I'm gonna get a new computer, but I have no knowledge of what are the best cards/etc. My budget is roughly ~700$. So could you guys suggest me some good deals?
Wow this thread is my personal heaven, I love designing computers ^-^

Could you tell us what you want out of your PC? lets say, tell us the top 3 most demanding games you anticipate playing, and the top 3 most heavy applications. Things like crysis or mass effect for games are quite heavy, while on the application side photoshop can be pretty memory intensive, as well as 3D rendering.

Lastly, what peripherals do you want, do you want a new set of speakers or a new screen, and what do you have that we can take out of what you're currently using and use here to save on budget?

PPS do you want to build a computer, or buy an off the shelf computer?
Building a computer gives more options and configurations, so you're more likely to find exactly what you want and be able to upgrade it in the future, so I'd recommend building one, it's not actually too hard either.
Originally Posted by Voxus View Post
Wow this thread is my personal heaven, I love designing computers ^-^

Could you tell us what you want out of your PC? lets say, tell us the top 3 most demanding games you anticipate playing, and the top 3 most heavy applications. Things like crysis or mass effect for games are quite heavy, while on the application side photoshop can be pretty memory intensive, as well as 3D rendering.

Lastly, what peripherals do you want, do you want a new set of speakers or a new screen, and what do you have that we can take out of what you're currently using and use here to save on budget?

PPS do you want to build a computer, or buy an off the shelf computer?
Building a computer gives more options and configurations, so you're more likely to find exactly what you want and be able to upgrade it in the future, so I'd recommend building one, it's not actually too hard either.

I don't exactly know what games I'll get immediately, but I'll defiantly be getting Garry's mod and C:SS and when it comes out, AC3. I probably will move up to some of the more demanding games but as of now Crysis isn't in the near future. I do use potato-chop a lot of on this PC and I plan on using it on my newer version.

I'd prefer to buy an off the self comp, but I'm fine with building one.

I defiantly need a new monitor, but can spare speakers.

EDIT: I was also a big fan of fo3 on the 360, so I'll be installing that.
Ahh, easy requests for such a budget, shouldn't be a problem...

Heres a mock up I just did, from here if you like the look of this list we can start narrowing it down:

CPU
MB
RAM
GPU
Heat Sink
Case
PSU
Screen
HDD
Last edited by Vox; Jul 2, 2010 at 04:07 AM.
Great choices from Voxus.

If you want some more oomph in gaming, the gtx 260 would me a big improvement over the triple-resurrected 250. Here's a really good price on ebay (used):

http://cgi.ebay.com/EVGA-NVIDIA-GTX-...item335e9988f3

You could probably get away with much less using Best Offer and bing cashback.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]