ES Recruitment Drive
Here's one from me:

"If God is omnipotent, can he make a stone so heavy that he can't lift it himself?"

I've heard that one many times, and I think it's one of the most stupid, outrageously ridiculous arguments that have withstood time and logic.

+1 for who can actually post a logical solution to this 'argument'.
f=m*a syens
I'm Christian and I believe that God is not some bearded man with a white robe. I believe He's everything. Sun, stars, dirt, plants, that slice of pizza you just ate. I also believe that He organized evolution. There was a point where humans and apes split up on the evolutionary path. Why God did that, I don't know,but he did it. I also believe that the famous story of Adam and Eve was nothing more than a parable to explain the imperfections of human beings.
a spoon.
Originally Posted by Bulletron View Post
I'm Christian and I believe that God is not some bearded man with a white robe. I believe He's everything. Sun, stars, dirt, plants, that slice of pizza you just ate.

I don't think that's what Christianity teaches. Sounds more like pantheism to me.
How are you?
Originally Posted by Arglax View Post
Here's one from me:

"If God is omnipotent, can he make a stone so heavy that he can't lift it himself?"

I've heard that one many times, and I think it's one of the most stupid, outrageously ridiculous arguments that have withstood time and logic.

+1 for who can actually post a logical solution to this 'argument'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnipot...oposed_answers

I have heard that one so many times I don't even want to post the proposed answers here.
I'm Christian and I believe that God is not some bearded man with a white robe. I believe He's everything. Sun, stars, dirt, plants, that slice of pizza you just ate. I also believe that He organized evolution. There was a point where humans and apes split up on the evolutionary path. Why God did that, I don't know,but he did it. I also believe that the famous story of Adam and Eve was nothing more than a parable to explain the imperfections of human beings.

Doesn't Christianity separate God and everything as the Creator and Creation? And your belief sounds more like pantheism, more than (Un)Orthodox Christianty
Originally Posted by Arglax View Post

Yes, he could, God doesnt even lift.
God has never lifted, ever.
doesnt mean he cant move it though, weight has nothing to do with will.

Although, if we start debating semantics, we could argue that the one part of the trinity(God the father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit, all being one in the same), then God the Son (aka Jesus) physically interacted with things and stuff, in which case, could God the Father, make a rock so heavy, that God the Son didnt have enough faith to lift?
See, the bible makes a pretty big deal of doing impossible things by having faith in God (healing the sick, raising the dead, walking on water etc). Believing that God will give you the strength to move the rock etc.
Theoretically, yes, if God the Father intended for for God the Son to never lift the rock, then no matter how much faith he had, God wouldnt give him the strength to lift it, because of divine design, then yes, God could make a rock too heavy for himself to lift.

But again, that still doesnt say that he could not move it.

or something.
I may have lost the plot somewhere in the middle there.

I also believe that the famous story of Adam and Eve was nothing more than a parable to explain the imperfections of human beings.

no one ever reads.
it doesnt explain the imperfections of human beings, it depicts Gods power of creation.
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
The book of Genesis, while based on some factual events, is not at all a factual book, merely written by the forefathers of the church to depict the greatness of God.

Last edited by BenDover; Jan 12, 2014 at 06:02 PM.
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
Yes, he could, God doesnt even lift.
God has never lifted, ever.
doesnt mean he cant move it though, weight has nothing to do with will.

Although, if we start debating semantics, we could argue that the one part of the trinity(God the father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit, all being one in the same), then God the Son (aka Jesus) physically interacted with things and stuff, in which case, could God the Father, make a rock so heavy, that God the Son didnt have enough faith to lift?
See, the bible makes a pretty big deal of doing impossible things by having faith in God (healing the sick, raising the dead, walking on water etc). Believing that God will give you the strength to move the rock etc.
Theoretically, yes, if God the Father intended for for God the Son to never lift the rock, then no matter how much faith he had, God wouldnt give him the strength to lift it, because of divine design, then yes, God could make a rock too heavy for himself to lift.

But again, that still doesnt say that he could not move it.

or something.
I may have lost the plot somewhere in the middle there.

w a t
He either has the power to take his own power away or he is not omnipotent - this is a possible solution to the problem I think.
Why would you even bring Christianity's weird three gods into this? The question is about a singular god and pretty straight forward.
How are you?
I think its just Catholics that see it that way, Christians in the global sense see them all as independent beings, while Catholicism sees as three in the same.
It is about one God, less straight forward.

Just because the question sounds simple, doesnt mean that it has to be simple.
Christians in the global sense will have a different answer, its why there are so many different denominations of Christianity.

I brought it up because Arglax asked for an answer and this was my way of answering it.

Also, I did say it was if we were debating semantics.
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
@Hero: wikipedia ruining the whole 'challenge'. Anyway, asking an omnipotent being to 'create a rock so heavy he can not himself lift it' is like asking to draw a square circle, make 1+1=3 (as in the wikipedia article), ...
f=m*a syens
Originally Posted by Redundant View Post
w a t
He either has the power to take his own power away or he is not omnipotent - this is a possible solution to the problem I think.

God exists outside time, space, and this universe. In the bible his form is never described, I certainly don't think he goes around picking up rocks.

It's such a ridiculous question and doesn't make any sense. He doesn't have a physical form...

You aren't Christian if you don't hold Christian beliefs.
Originally Posted by deprav View Post
Hmmm, I'm sorry I'm not gonna play the op game, simply because I can't. From my point of view science and faith aren't necessarily seperate.
I think someone entirely religious (creationists, lets say it) sadly lacks critical thinking, while someone who rejects any idea of something that could be called "god" lacks a great deal of spirituality. And both are necessary to accomplish a regretless life.

Sciences answer the "how ?", while faith & spirituality answer the "why ?".

For instance, I base my "faith" on logic and factual observations, just like science, and came to my own perception of "god". According to myself, god isn't a conscious being or some religious crap (sorry) ; it's something primal, it's the order out of chaos (what we call time, space, matter and interactions etc...), it's the fact anything that lives inherently knows its own purpose is to keep on living, it's the evolution of all the things depending on each others and influencing each others. It's really hard to put words on it ;p

But concretely, once you've came to accept and understand there's something beautiful and elusive in everything, no real purpose to life but living, and grasp the entirety of the universe, it gives you a satisfying and calming faith... and convictions about your own life.
Then you know, there's something greater to do than living a selfish material life, that's a warm feeling you want to share with everyone. That's what having faith is, that's not blindly following some books from another time without even questioning them, that's just being stupid.

Allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go.

Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff