Toribash
Originally Posted by Nickone View Post
Actually. I disagree. Thats for them to decide if they want there religion to be that. Me? I dont belive in god If i was brought up in a Christan school. i would of hated it. My whole family dosnt belive in that people can choose there religions.

i go to an expensive private christian school. i don't believe in god. doesn't mean the school isn't great. well, at least mine doesn't force christianity on anyone (which a christian shouldn't, nor should any religion) they just put subtle hints in your head hoping you'll convert.

Originally Posted by War_Hero View Post
My school forced me to take an accounting/economic/random shit class called careers, surprisingly, it's been very useful.

While I'm not a fan of English and writing, it should be mandatory just to help make sure the population stays reasonably literate.

exactly why schools are around, to make us less retarded.
Originally Posted by Murmayder View Post
I think you missed the point of my whole argument for it being compulsory. By education the people, those living in council estates will not vote so frivolously and thus will not screw over the working class, instead they would carefully take in the economic proposals and decide accordingly. Politicians fool idiots who don't understand that they can be tricked, students of economics understand how they can be tricked and are thus very hard to deceive as they know what to look for, so by teaching everyone about how the government is going to trick you, you then minimise the amount of votes based on ridiculous reasoning.

If economics is taught in government schools then you can be certain that the government will decide on what you will learn in it. They'll probably tell you FDR was an economic mastermind or someshit. Students of economics in government schools end up becoming useful idiots.
The exact same thing would happen with philosophy. They'd teach you all about the wonders of Uncle Kant et al.

Certainly though, choosing to study economics in university would be wise.
[doc]
Originally Posted by Nickone View Post
Actually. I disagree. Thats for them to decide if they want there religion to be that. Me? I dont belive in god If i was brought up in a Christan school. i would of hated it. My whole family dosnt belive in that people can choose there religions.

It's doing you and everyone else a public service to save you from damnation, to save your soul from being handed to the devil and your eternal life drawn through the gates of hell. It's doing a public service to send the children of today into salvation at the hand of the Lord by teaching them the good word in our schools.
Originally Posted by clnb View Post
i go to an expensive private christian school. i don't believe in god. doesn't mean the school isn't great. well, at least mine doesn't force christianity on anyone (which a christian shouldn't, nor should any religion) they just put subtle hints in your head hoping you'll convert.

Well.... there is a very thin line between giving you subtle hints over a period of time and actually force you to convert straight away. They're both methodologies with the same goal. And I suppose you can still call the first one a forcing.
Last edited by GenkiSudo; Jul 17, 2010 at 06:43 AM.
"There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi
My school forced me to take an accounting/economic/random shit class called careers, surprisingly, it's been very useful.

While I'm not a fan of English and writing, it should be mandatory just to help make sure the population stays reasonably literate.

English should of course be taught. I think Spanish and Mandarin should be compulsory too. You'll then be able to communicate with pretty much the entire world.
[02:19] <Dr_Strangelove> nearly 3 hours of nobody saying a word
[02:19] * Tamer0 is now known as TamerAfk
[02:19] <Dr_Strangelove> gg toribash
[02:19] <+hampa> gg
I think that the subjects are fine the way they are. School is really just about getting the habit of doing your work even if it's boring. Universities often offer a wide variety of classes to choose from. No matter what subject it is, there will always be some one who does not find it interesting.
And English should be manditory all through because there are still kids at the end of high school who are not very literate.
My seniority means you should probably just agree with everything I say

Literacy, grammar and punctuation are essential, as well as properly structuring the form of text that you intend to write, but in my opinion it is not necessary for the geophysicist to know what the Bernard Shaw was trying to tell us about the hypocrisy in middle-class morality when concerning the lower class of 1930s England. Although his views may incorporate morals and ethics which may be studied in philosophy, I do not believe it to be an essential part in ones education of the English language.

I'm not surprised that the careers class you took has helped you in life.

Originally Posted by Galt View Post
If economics is taught in government schools then you can be certain that the government will decide on what you will learn in it. They'll probably tell you FDR was an economic mastermind or someshit. Students of economics in government schools end up becoming useful idiots.
The exact same thing would happen with philosophy. They'd teach you all about the wonders of Uncle Kant et al.

What kind of world do you think we live in? The government these days isn't run by the Roman Catholic Church and government schools are taught economics from all schools, mainly that of Maynard Keynes, which almost every democratic economy is run by. You will be shown the theories and methods of all economists that have made an impact in economic study but you mainly focus on what is relevant to the country you live in and it's trading partners which effect it the most.

Also, I feel that Philosophy would be the same. Not only are people able to access almost every kind of information there is available today via the internet but we fortunately have not lost our individuality over the years and many people, even without and Socratic knowledge, will question almost everything that is told to them or brought to their attention.

Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
It's doing you and everyone else a public service to save you from damnation, to save your soul from being handed to the devil and your eternal life drawn through the gates of hell. It's doing a public service to send the children of today into salvation at the hand of the Lord by teaching them the good word in our schools.

Watch what you say in here, this topic isn't about whether society needs reminding of the Christian faith and it's powers of good. This thread is not about religion, it is about education.

Originally Posted by Dr_Strangelove View Post
English should of course be taught. I think Spanish and Mandarin should be compulsory too. You'll then be able to communicate with pretty much the entire world.

That is a interesting and I think a great comment.

Many non-english speaking schools in says France, Japan etc. learn a different language, usually English, as a core subject. I think that English speaking countries are at an advantage and a disadvantage in the same point.

The most dominant countries in the world in terms of military, political and economic standing are mostly English speaking countires, therefore they are at an advantage as opposed to those who do not speak English as their first language who then have to learn it as a second language. Thus speaking it as a first saves you from have to learn a second. Having said this,
Multilingualism is the use of two or more languages, either by an individual speaker or by a community of speakers. Multilingual speakers outnumber monolingual speakers in the world's population.

those who are born and raised to speak English are usually monolingual and are at a severe disadvantage when in a job that requires them to deal with people from other countries or if they are in a foreign country. Also, it is well known that learning 2 language increases ones linguistic competency and makes it a lot easier to learn new languages, for example, Japanese people have great difficulty in pronouncing the letter L and so by learning English their linguistic skills are greatly improved.

If a war broke out, those of non-english speaking countries, in my opinion, would be advantaged in terms of understanding uncoded messages and intelligence interception.

I think you have picked 2 of the better languages that may be needed by those who deal with overseas clients. I would also have said maybe Portuguese and Russian.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ALL HAIL THE METAPHOR!!
Originally Posted by Galt View Post

>hurr durr I'm a right wing nutjob
And Ronald Regan single handedly defeated the U.S.S.R, right?

Watch what you say in here, this topic isn't about whether society needs reminding of the Christian faith and it's powers of good. This thread is not about religion, it is about education.

Some people do not make a distinction between the two.
i have a totally post modern tattoo of a scalene triangle.
<DeadorK> fair maiden
<DeadorK> if the cum is going to be in your mouth
<DeadorK> it shall be in mine as well

Some people do not make a distinction between the two.

I am making it right now.

Anything to do with Religion, although may be educational, is not to be included in this thread as it is not education without religious roots.

If it religious then it does not belong in this thread unless to say you believe that more of that religion is needed in school, that is the extent you may reach.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ALL HAIL THE METAPHOR!!
What kind of world do you think we live in? The government these days isn't run by the Roman Catholic Church and government schools are taught economics from all schools, mainly that of Maynard Keynes, which almost every democratic economy is run by.

Simply proves my point.
You will be shown the theories and methods of all economists that have made an impact in economic study but you mainly focus on what is relevant to the country you live in and it's trading partners which effect it the most.

I can guarentee you that in the two years students would study economics they wouldn't be able to cover all of the influencial economists. They'd probably just teach you about Bartlett, Diamond and Hardin. They probably wouldn't even mention Sowell and Simon.
One more thing, there already is an economics elective in most Australian public schools. The only public schools that don't have an economic class would probably just have a lack of teachers. I've got a few friends of mine doing that economics class, I'll ask them tommorow what they study in it.
Also, I feel that Philosophy would be the same. Not only are people able to access almost every kind of information there is available today via the internet but we fortunately have not lost our individuality over the years and many people, even without and Socratic knowledge, will question almost everything that is told to them or brought to their attention.

It's so simple to brainwash children with philosophy Murm. The first person students study in that class will probably be the main philosopher they subscribe to for the rest of their life. Knowing the government, expect it to be Kant. Or, lol, maybe if Abbott gets into power and becomes all fascist, Ratzinger.

You presume too much shit. Go back under your bridge, troll.
[doc]