Ranking
Original Post
Slow Death of PC Gaming
Ever notice that most of new releases for games (and those that get considerable advertising) are console games? Even venerable PC titles have been ported and continued on the consoles. Most notably, Live Arcade have even taken over casual gaming for the PC.

I'm a full on PC gamer (except when I'm on the road... thats where the PSP comes in) and I'm kind of beefed that PC games and PC platform titles are now made as an afterthought. Also aside from Spore, there have been a decline in user modifiable games out for the PC. Most of the games I get to play don't have user content tools attached to them anymore, to me this feature removal trend gives games a shorter play time... which I'm not a fan of. PC games are slowly turning into casual console games played by a keyboard.

Discuss, whine and gloat: gamers of all shapes and sizes... is the PC slowly being phased out?
yea, it is I guess.

probably because Game devs dont see it as a profitable market anymore =/

Most kids would rather spend $400 to play like COD4 or something on an Xbox rather than spending $1,500 to play it on a PC, where the graphics will be roughly the same.

Also, Devs have learned that PC games are pirated... a lot
Console games are also, but I guess it is a bit tougher to do, so it isnt done as much.
I believe I remember reading somewhere that Crytek (Makers of Crysis ofc) said that their next big game release will be on a console rather than on PC so they dont have to deal with the pirating profit loss. (I might be wrong about the Dev that said it, so dont kill me for this)

Kinda sucks though, I have been primarily a PC guy all my life, even if I have owned my share of consoles.
5:13 PM - vasp: everybody's nuts is so good
[00:18:38] <&vespesi3n> you should see when i swallow
[21:49:37] <&vespesi3n> >my mouth when
[21:49:43] <&vespesi3n> >my tastebuds when
agree 100%

Best thing about PC Games is that you can make your own maps, your own mods, play online (i know that's on consoles too now but for a subscription fee) (except ps3, but thats a (bleep)ing rip off anyways) accuracy of a mouse, iunno that's about it. But in later games, a lot of those strengths are disappearing. Counter Strike Source was the last game I really got into that had decent modding and mapping applications.

People say most people pirate pc games, but if you know how to pirate a pc game, it's not a long stretch to learn to pirate modern console games. *looks at rack of ~300 xbox games*

I think the downsides of PC Gameplay are that a lot of casual gamers get their arses handed to them online, so they go to console. there is much more casual gamers than more hardcore gamers, so the balance goes to console.
PC's are also expensive, but when you think about it, you get more out of one too, they aren't just a gaming machine.
PC = compatibilty problems (people put disc in, install, see error message, or crash, dont read error message, dont email support, just bring it back to store instantly)
Also, I think people are (bleep)ing sick of spending 2500 dollars for a PC which turns out to be an absolute piece of crap. 'Round here, if you don't custom build, you need 4000 dollars to get a decent one. (If you custom build, good pc for 1000 or so)

See, the thing is, I prefer PC Gaming, especially for fps, but I would likely shift to console gaming if they allowed a keyboard and mouse, (bleep)ing controllers annoy the crap out of me.
Originally Posted by SirusG View Post
Gaming on PC's is now reverting to Online only.

Wrong.

And I don't think it is going down that fast. There are great titles [that aren't "Online Only", as SirusG said], like Far Cry 2, Fallout 3 and Crysis coming/out already, for example.

In my opinion, piracy is the main problem. If there wasn't piracy, there would be more games for PC. [/obvious]
Not as many are coming out though, hence most PC gaming is reverting to Online gaming.
Christmas Ghost Humans do not value their existence.
Because wannabe gangster kids these days dont know how to put together a monster rig so they take the easy way out.
GrayMario: You dont say "FUCK YEAH" when you own a newbie!

Yeah, i find it rather annoying (Yes, really) that so many new games are coming
to consoles only. Though there are still some good ones coming for PC, it's not as
many as it used to be. I doubt that PC gaming will die any time soon though,
there's simply too many PC gamers. However much piracy there is, there are also
a lot of people who buy their games. The best thing that could be done both
profit-wise and happiness-wise, would be to make the game not be limited to
one platform. At the same time. Not be like, first make it Xbox, and then a year
later port it to PC. That sucks. Every platform has its advantages, why not let
the gamer choose which one to use?
<Blam|Homework> oiubt veubg
various places to find me lol
Every platform has its advantages, why not let
the gamer choose which one to use?

perfect explanation right there.

btw, i don't see why people think pc games have more piracy than console games. If you can pirate a pc game, pirating console games isn't much of a step up.
Also, if i do plan on buying a pc game, then I will pirate it to make sure my pc runs it ok before I buy it. Most stores here don't offer refunds on pc games, niether does steam.
Put simply it costs less to get a console than a gaming pc.
If you buy a game for a console you know it's gonna work - you buy the same game on your pc you've gotta install it, patch it, setup graphic options etc etc.

There's too much money & work needed to get a good experience from pc gaming.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you