Toribash
Original Post
[Study] | Small Circle Jiu Jitsu Development
Alright, I'll keep working at it. In the mean time, I've finally got enough replays to introduce a (maybe) new concept to you guys. Lock downs. Everyone is familiar with wrist locks in real life, use pain to manipulate your opponent and what-not, but in Toribash, pain doesn't exist. The closest thing to an equivalent I've been able to find (and believe me, I've tried this a lot) is this. Rather than taking advantage of your opponent's pain, take advantage of the limited flexibility in the shoulder and pec joints in toribash. Draw your own conclusions, I want to know if you guys think this is a viable technique or just hokus pokus.
Attached Files
Wrist Lockdown 1.rpl (46.8 KB, 24 views)
Wrist Lockdown 2.rpl (71.1 KB, 11 views)
Wrist Lockdown 3.rpl (38.6 KB, 10 views)
Wrist Lockdown 4.rpl (32.9 KB, 17 views)
Wrist Lockdown 5.rpl (27.3 KB, 9 views)
Wrist Lockdown 6.rpl (32.7 KB, 11 views)
It's called an elbow lock and has been a thing for a while. We haven't recognized it though.

Originally Posted by Kikipro View Post
4. Elbow locks

This occurs when your opponent extends wrist, and your pecs are usually extended too, which applies a lot of pressure on your wrists and your arm, and therefore makes you unable to extend your elbow fully, making you MUCH more easier to DQ.
One way to get your elbow to normal is to lower the shoulder while extending the elbow.
No matter the situation, this usually frees your elbow from being locked.
Ofc, there will be situations where you won't be able to rotate chest/lower shoulder, therefore your opponent will auto-win with that elbow lock.
Overtime you'll learn to prevent those from happening.
Also contracting the elbow might help when lowering.

Last edited by Rouxster; Sep 26, 2016 at 05:57 PM.
I don't give a flyin' fladoodle
Well, that's all fine and dandy, but I think it would be interesting to expand on the subject. Maybe if we can get this technique down to a science it could be officially recognized. However, not all of my replays focused on locking the elbow, mostly just using rotation and limited flexibility to my advantage and forcing them to the floor.
-----
To give you a specific example, look at the replay I've attached here. The lock is executed on frame 130. You can see that I'm putting no direct pressure on my opponent's elbow, but I'm using my shoulder, pec, and elbow to focus rotation after I've stepped through to the edge of his range of motion.
Attached Files
Wrist Lockdown 2.rpl (71.1 KB, 11 views)
Last edited by Iskenos; Sep 26, 2016 at 06:19 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
"Wrist lockdown" doesn't quite roll off the tongue. How about you call it "wrist lock." I see what you're trying to do now. I have some replays of it.
Attached Files
wrist lock1.rpl (33.0 KB, 16 views)
wrist lock2.rpl (49.2 KB, 10 views)
wrist lock3.rpl (22.0 KB, 8 views)
I don't give a flyin' fladoodle
That's exactly what I'm talking about! I'm glad you finally see what I mean, I was wondering if I was gonna have to break your legs. but honestly, the name doesn't matter so much to me, as long as it has one and it makes sense, I'm a happy camper.
Welllllll i've looked through most of the replays about these wrist lock whatevers. I see a pattern but i don't quite understand the exact "mechanics" of the technique you are trying to create. Is it perhaps like an armdrag?

Basic Mechanics of armdrag:
2 on 1 grips
pull HARD so Uke falls into you
slip out of his way at an angle so instead he falls through the empty space you were standing.
(this can be used to setup limitless techniques irl).
Last edited by footlox; Sep 26, 2016 at 11:32 PM.
Leader of the Spyder House
Toribash Martial Artists
Allow me to direct you to the martial art where I developed my interest in this sort of thing. Google and YouTube search "small circle jujitsu" and "Chin Na" I'm sure you'd get a more detailed understanding of how the wheels turn.
Small circle is all about turning a small rotation into a large rotation, and using that rotation against your opponent. In real life they use a lot of finger lock, wrist locks, etc., but here we will have to compensate momentum and limited flexibility. That's exactly what I did in this relay.
Attached Files
Small Circle.rpl (46.7 KB, 17 views)