Ranking
Original Post
[Article]7 popular Tori-myths (almost totorial)
Hello all.
I wrote this more then half year ago and posted in our ru-forum.
Very thanks to DeadKenny for translating.

I know several items of this article is banal, but i cant cut they.

Well, that is not pure tutorial, but I hope this article can to be useful for newbies

--------------------------------------
---7 Popular Tori-Myths---

1. Higher the qi – better the player.
Well, that’s just wrong. Qi is simply the amount of fights that person fought, it doesn’t even mean that he won any of those fights. Of course the amount of games played can tell us something about that person gaming experience but that just simply can’t tell us much about his skill.
If it was up to me I’d introduce new ratio called “No-lifer ration” and the formula would be “qi/days_in_game” and here we can tell for sure – the higher NLR figure is, the worse player he is.
Just for myself I’ve made this as a guideline:
id<20000 – super pro
20000<id<40000 - pro
30000<id<50000 – average
id>50000 - newbie
(note: dont forget i wrote this many time ago. Now i think:
id<40000 - super pro
40000-70000 - pro
70000-150000 - average
id>150000 - nooob)

2. Winning NutHug (imsku, siku etc) shows that you’re a skilled player / better then him
Can’t be more wrong then that. One win doesn’t mean any of above, I’d even say that one won duel doesn’t real mean anything. Every mod has its randomness and element of luck. Every player has his bad days.
What skill really is, is a stable game, stable results. For example when you always streak in a certain mod or most of the time win JePoY – this shows your skill. Then you’ll be recognised and talked about.

3. Every mod has its super-opener which guarantees (almost) your win.
FALSE. As Odlov once said “opener is just a bonus in the beginning of the match”. Well that’s that. How openers influence the match changes depending on the mod, nevertheless no opener will ever guarantee your win versus everybody, not even close. Certainly there are good opener, but we all know that all strong openers have flaws in defence. Opener just creates the beginning of the match, but does not decide its outcome.

4. [Torigods] – Gods of Toribash (or [Torigod]' – cocky noobs)
Both statements are wrong. Torigod members are old Toribash players and they simply are experienced. They are just oldest good players, but defiantly not Gods or noobs.

5. Hampa – supermegapro player (or Hapma – pff, just a noob)
As we all know Hampa prefers aikido and wushu.
His aikido is… not so pro, but his style is damn cool. Meaning he always plays amazingly stylish. He loses a lot, wins some, but he always does it so every replay can be part of an amazing video. Loads of improvisation and style in his movements. And I’m more then sure every single of his openers – he invented himself.
Can’t talk about his Wushu skill, never saw him ingame, but I’ve heard that back in a day he rocked.

6. Judo – no skill mod / Judo – randomness / Judo – pure luck.
That’s probably the biggest myth of all, I hear that all the time.
Judo is much more complicated mod then you might think at the 1st time. Of course there is an element of luck, but we all remember Mezu who if started playing, wont go anywhere until he streaks 10 wins. I think (not that I’m a great judo fan) that the key is to “protect yourself”, you don’t have to pull off powerful kicks or have amazing openers – you just have to take care of yourself and intro risky situations. All pro judo players I’ve see are all playing extremely carefully, meaning they’re trying not to make unnecessary moves etc. and that’s why they win. And openers… what about them? That’s just first turn.

8. Aikido and Sambo – twin-mods.
That’s not entirely true. They are different enough for us to have 2 different rooms for them BlackBelt-Aikido and BlackBelt-Sambo. The first difference is dismemberthreshold. In practice it results in the fact that some moves that work perfectly in aikido – won’t work in sambo, joints simply break under that kind of pressure.
Also in aikido frames per turn increase slowly and smoothly, slowly increasing the duration of a turn and 2nd turn is 20 frames which almost always makes it an attack turn, but in sambo the frames per turn increase is much slower which makes the game “start” slower as well. They are given a lot of time to “get used to” each others opener, change their own a bit and then BAM it tf suddenly become long.
All this make aikido and sambo so different that if you’re skilled in 1 it almost makes no difference in another. For example NutHug – the best sambo player and just a one of “good players” in aikido.

THE END

Last edited by Nirs; Jan 7, 2010 at 08:41 AM.
i havent really been playing long enough to know some of those who mention, but still, i know that if you beat a mega pro at a mod that a)hes not good at or b)its an off day for them and you think your better than he/she then your always wrong, exception being if you really are better. 9/10 it was a good read.
my xbl gamertag: ‘Mr Muktuk'
Be jelly NOW.
yea, these are very tru

me myself being judo-savvy, i liked how #6 said that judo ISNT what it may seem to some

10/10 my friend
This Opened my eyes alot.
Most openers dont matter, EXCEPT for in instagb feet.
but 8/10 here. I've never actuall seen hampa in game either 0.0
OLDA | Fr3styL | RL | T3AL
R.I.P [Pure] 356 Threads, 19,000 Posts.
^ agreed about the instagib feet.

Nice explanations and it has also spurred me to want to try and be more careful in Judo. Haha, I am a risky player.

Well done.
lol