ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Photoshop CS6 images triggering false positives on antivirus
Ok, so last week I made a series of Windows folder icons for anime and tv shows which were very well received by the general populace of a certain imageboard.

Anyway, what's weird is that a couple of guys contacted me concerned that my files (about 8-40 .ico files converted from .png files, 1 .png and a .txt file inside RARs) were tripping their antivirus software, showing up as some sort of unidentified malware.
Now at this point I wasn't 100% sure they weren't infected, but I run a pretty tight ship on my laptop and I was reasonably sure that my system was virus-free.

Regardless, I ran both Malwarebytes, Windows Security Essentials (lol) and uploaded the offending RARs to VirusTotal. All came up clean. I informed those concerned that it was simply a false positive, provided a link to the VirusTotal scan, and went on my way.

That is, up until today. Today I threw together a quick shoop (jpeg) and tried to post it to my Facebook wall, which immediately went FUBAR and logged me out. Upon attempting to login, I was presented with a "helpful" message that my computer "may be" infected with malware. It then unhelpfully forced me to download and run a McAfee condensed exe called "Scan and Repair" before I could login again. It detected absolutely nothing, and let me in and allowed me to upload the offending image successfully. (I initially thought this was some sort of phishing attempt, but turned out to be fine. Correct security certificates and all that.)

So yeah, I'm concerned that my Photoshop CS6 is going to continue triggering unwanted false positives and I'm not entirely sure what to do about it.
Any help here?
Last edited by 4zb41; Feb 18, 2013 at 06:59 AM.
I loved the part where facebook logged you out.

Anyway, I'd recommend a total system scan. Scan it twice with the same anti virus, and another 2 times with a different anti-virus. It is more than likely that some sort of virus has invaded your system and is making babies with your photoshop.
We're all going to Hell, we may as well go out in style
Death is a promise, and your life is a fucking lie
Originally Posted by Regent101 View Post
It is more than likely that some sort of virus has invaded your system and is making babies with your photoshop.

Ew.
Anyway, I did a little more research and some people have reported that Avast! and McAfee started detecting Photoshop's pattern files and the like as trojan horses. Not sure why that would trip on a saved image file though...

I'll go run more full system scans now.
Man I wish Malwarebytes would let me scan specific folder locations...
It could possibly be their compression method. I am not 100% sure though. I run Linux so I don't really need anti-viruses. So I don't really know.
Well it took 5 hours+ but the full system scans are finished. No joy.

ImmortalCow, you could be right about the meta info. I believe I tried to set it so no meta data was saved with the image, but evidently that's changed or never worked in the first place.
So, Did you figure it out yet or not?
Seems ImmortalCow was right about it being the images' metadata tripping the false positives. It's a pain to fix, but that's a solution I guess.

Suppose I'll close this thread then, thanks for your help!