Toribash
Original Post
Originally Posted by DaNewNinja View Post
Super pessimistic viewpoint, what guarantees the new game will feel like a shitty binklawz mod lmao.

it's an extremely precise game that allows for extreme precision on a completely different engine

Also if there's no reward, then why did you ever play? What made you do it?

i was 10 years old and i only had a shitty toshiba laptop and a ps2. 10 year olds today have ps4s and xbox ones and like $900 phones, why would they waste their time learning toribash for years when they could waste their time learning any other game for 10 minutes and have fun immediately? kids aren't patient anymore because they have choices. i had no choice, it was either this or tekken 5 on ps2, and i had already put hours and hours into tekken 5

Some people like the feeling of progress and it doesn't always have to be artificial.

any fighting game ever madeany shooting game ever made

you progress in these games by learning spray patterns or frame data, or maybe finding a new gun you really like to use. it instantly shows when u do some cool shit because you learned it in a game like that. getting a triple kill in call of duty is much more rewarding than accidentally winning in toribash. beating your opponent with proper punishment in tekken is much more rewarding than randomly winning in toribash

any single player story based game ever made

you progress in these games like a book, becoming more intimate with characters. i don't know how anything in one of these games would seem more like artificial progression than how it does in toribash, there's literally no progression in toribash other than with replay making. if i can randomly win duels against the top players it is not a skill based game. i could go 20% win ratio, but that is way too high to be called skill based. imagine if a horrible chess player wins 20% of games against a top player. that would just be rng honestly. it's not worth playing competitively

You say things like why settle for something that doesn't feel like toribash, but have you even played tb next? If you have then damn my b you got me, but it's still your opinion.

"it's an extremely precise game that allows for extreme precision on a completely different engine"

You just kinda seem like someone who doesn't want change, even if you aren't that's how you seem, I can get it though, people have put time into this and many don't want to start anew.

the reason i want certain changes is because i want the game to do well, and changing how the game feel is not going to be a good change. if they somehow manage to make it feel the same, then that's an amazing start. if it doesn't feel the same older players are going to say "why even play this lol? 11 years of my replays don't work, 11 years of my mods don't work, 11 years of learning every joint extensively doesn't work, i'm goin on old toribash"

The problem of the learning curve has always been there, and if people got through it in the earlier days, people will get through it now, hopefully it's fun enough to dick around that people don't get discouraged at not being immediately good.

games that are easy to learn and hard to master are games worth playing. every aspect of this game is rng. in anything you do with dms it is rng. i guess the only non-rng thing is any realism based replay making/sparring. there's no random dms, no random fractures. no grab glitches to deal with, no randomness to deal with
Why do you assume older players are going to quit if it doesn't feel the same? It would make more sense that they already quit because they got bored of the sameness, and will come back at least for a bit.

How can you call this game very precise and then rng in the same message? Have all your wins been accidental? If this is a random game how are there top players as you said, to randomly take games from.

Also why are you just considering kids? Older people may find this interesting. You are right about that though, kids don't like waiting, which is why like I said I hope dicking around is enough fun to keep some people.
Saint is not back baby, join easy. Check out my replays http://forum.toribash.com/showthread...72#post8580272 .
Originally Posted by DaNewNinja View Post
Why do you assume older players are going to quit if it doesn't feel the same? It would make more sense that they already quit because they got bored of the sameness, and will come back at least for a bit.

"11 years of learning every joint extensively doesn't work, i'm goin on old toribash"
like idk i really don't want to spend anymore time learning the game lol, i've been learning for almost 7 years and i really don't feel like i should be punished for that on the new tb. like this game is already losing a lot of it's appeal to most older players, i don't see much that could hook them back in

How can you call this game very precise and then rng in the same message? Have all your wins been accidental? If this is a random game how are there top players as you said, to randomly take games from.

i guess i did word this poorly
what i mean by precise is that changing one joint can drastically change an entire movement
and what i meant by rng is you can kick your opponent in the pec and dm their shoulder and get 5k points, and the next frame they graze your shin they get 40k points. it's not meant to be played competitively, yet there are MANY players that stick around only to duel.

as for the top players thing, you can obviously be better than someone at toribash, but that only goes so far. the possibility to just get lucky and win is too high.

for example in csgo, you can obviously just get lucky and get a random headshot, but if your aim is bad it's not going to happen often.

in toribash you can get lucky because you and your opponent are both playing abd, "the skill based mod," and you lift your opponent then grab glitch them

Also why are you just considering kids? Older people may find this interesting. You are right about that though, kids don't like waiting, which is why like I said I hope dicking around is enough fun to keep some people.

i'm saying kids because everyone playing now started as kids. adults aren't looking up "ragdoll fighting game" and neither are any kids anymore. and adults who are functioning members of society just don't have as much time. once i got a job while going to school, even though i was only working every other day, i didn't have any free time on the days i did work. i would get home at around six, have dinner then go to bed at like 9 or 10. the game just takes too long to learn
I believe Toribash Next will play just like Toribash. So to play at a basic foundational level will be like playing on Toribash. Just bugs fixed, and certain things smoothed out.

But there will be new mechanics you can take advantage of, if you desire to put in the time to.

Therefore old people who don't want to do more learning don't have to
Old people who do, can take advantage of it.

Either way there should be no discussion of whether who Toribash next will "appeal" to and who it won't. If you found Toribash appealing you'll find Toribash Next to be everything Toribash was, but cleaner, faster, crisper, and expanded upon.

it'll be the game for the old and new. Capturing what made the original fun and addicting while also experimenting and expanding upon it to make it fresh.

So i assure you, there will be something to work toward, something to strive for in the game.
But veterans won't have to completely relearn, re-do, the entire process.

It will make Toribash feel like the Beta to Next.
Last edited by matarika; May 22, 2019 at 03:48 AM.
Howdy, I'm Mod Squad & The Social Media Manager @ Nabi Studios , if you have any modding or social media questions PM me or DM me on Discord: Matarika#5297
So...I haven't been active on here in a while, but do we have an estimated time of release for TBN?
Origin For Life
Originally Posted by GustavoBRi View Post
It's there new info about this game?.

Check out Matarika's videos for some updates.