Toribash
I think one thing that can be said about walls is that it makes it a little to easy for players to come back in, while the dojo makes players actually stay away from the edge and punishes running a lot more than a dome, but that's just my opinion
oxisudofrenohypoglycemolicodin
Originally Posted by snake View Post
the thing is, debate is going on to have dojo or to have walls,

i for example prefer walls, as dojo ground line distracts me and makes me play very grounded as i'm scared to fly away

on walls subject sliding or not, even though i don't really like sliding walls, but i belive thats the only type of walls that should be present in competative version, i played around on wushu6 today for quite a while and they are just fine, absolutely neutral i would say

I also prefer walls over dojo, friction or no friction. But between two types of walls I definitely highly prefer the friction version, as it makes the mod a lot more fun (imo). If it was up to me I'd have both public wushus be boxed, but one have frictionless walls for "competitive" version or whatever, and the other with frictioned walls for fun acrobatics potential.
hey guys can i join this org?

also to add to the discussion, I prefer walls over dojo, as i do not fancy when players run to the skirts of dojo just to run out of the way or just throwing you out. I kind of think it takes away the spirit of striking mods.
i sell pocket pussies
[Ae]ther | cncpls | [OoT] | SR
I personally prefer the dojo, I like the dome as it's fun, but dojo is on another level.

Firstly because of its punitive aspect, if you make a mistake and push yourself retardedly far away, you're done. That's not good fighting/striking, you made a mistake, you pay the price.
It's also way harder to comeback efficiently on flat ground, where walls make it way easier for pretty much any player to comeback with simple "extend knee/elbow", it's harder without friction but can still be done pretty easily. It even is an advantage to be "cornered" to a wall ; you can use it as a "rooting point" to deliver power more easily than you would on flat ground, when dojos punish you for being on the outskirt as you risk being pushed out. With a dojo you have no wall to save you from being overwhelmed, no wall to put you in a very good position to attack your opponent back without any effort to stop your momentum and position yourself properly, it's a crutch.

Also, this org isn't related to any wushu mod that might be released now or in the future, it only concerns the mods called "Striking_LG/MG/HG" presented in the OP, which have no dome. There might be a dome version at some point but we'll mainly focus on dojo as it sets the skillcap higher, requires better positionning, involves more strategy, and is generally more difficult, which is why I seek with this org.

I want striking_LG/MG/HG to be fun to play because of their challenging aspect, not because you can jump around like a monkey on crack. Jumping around is fun, but that's not the kind of fun I made this org for.
Last edited by deprav; Aug 11, 2015 at 05:33 AM.
interesting discussion guys.

i think the dome would be specially good for the LG mod. I ofc prefer a dojo for MG/HG mods.

LG(-9.82) is just too low for it to be feasible to slap around a dojo and call it competitive. You just compromise the whole game play IMO. so a frictionless dome would be the best for a competitive version. like odlov said, a dome with friction is awesome fun..but not as competitive.

also for dome versions of these mods, ofc the MG domes should be smaller than the LG dome.

that's my 2 cents..keep the discussion going..it seems to be going somewhere..
-----
so guys, i was talking about hampz about the soft flags..and he says it's already possible :O

are you guys sure..you didn't miss something in the mod system? he will check it anyway! so..at least he's aware of it now!
Last edited by William; Aug 11, 2015 at 09:10 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Your messed up world enthrills me
About the discussion, I prefer dojo for striking mods. My reason is, in dojo, you can't freely jump, you have to be careful on your coming back moves, well it's pretty hard for newbies, but it's interesting in some ways.

When you are inside of dome, you can just freely jump and such, while trying to come back to your opponent for another strikes. You also can use the wall for a coming back attempt and it's not really hard to kick the wall and jump towards your opponent.
Last edited by Raiken; Aug 11, 2015 at 09:53 AM.
Selling something? Need some toricredits? Click this quickly.
Main rival of ToriBot since 20&&
- made in Indonesia

The warrior guided by the spirit serves humanity, the warrior without, serves the ego.
Originally Posted by Raiken View Post
About the discussion, I prefer dojo for striking mods. My reason is, in dojo, you can't freely jump, you have to be careful on your coming back moves, well it's pretty hard for newbies, but it's interesting in some ways.

When you are inside of dome, you can just freely jump and such, while trying to come back to your opponent for another strikes. You also can use the wall for a coming back attempt and it's not really hard to kick the wall and jump towards your opponent.

I agree, but it's different in LG. In LG, one small touch..and you're going sky high. Gravity is just too low, even if you play very carefully imo. So better use the dome than a dojo. A very large dojo is almost useless anyway here.
Your messed up world enthrills me
Originally Posted by William View Post
I agree, but it's different in LG. In LG, one small touch..and you're going sky high. Gravity is just too low, even if you play very carefully imo. So better use the dome than a dojo. A very large dojo is almost useless anyway here.

While I'm more for the dojo I agree with this statement, maybe have walls on low grav but have dojo on high grav?
oxisudofrenohypoglycemolicodin
Originally Posted by deprav View Post
Also, this org isn't related to any wushu mod that might be released now or in the future, it only concerns the mods called "Striking_LG/MG/HG" presented in the OP, which have no dome. There might be a dome version at some point but we'll mainly focus on dojo

err i thought we were on the same page
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
Well I've always said dojo and dome both have their pros and cons, and I'd meditate on it. ^^

I'm now sure dojo is the way to go for those mods if we want them to be competitive. No crutch, no help, no easy save, only the player's skills to get him out of tricky situations. And if he can't get out of it, it means he dun goofed pretty hard in the first place and deserves the punition.
What stands out in people's posts is that dome is fun, and dojo is harsh. I chose harsh over fun eriday ; because harsh is what is going to make the competition actually fun, meaningful and enjoyable for the better players.

You were the one telling me that we shouldn't care about beginners and shouldn't level the mod down to suit lower standards when talking about the point system, but it also applies to that situation as well. We shouldn't water down the competitive aspect of the mod with a dome because some people fly out of the dojo, it's their job to adapt.

Originally Posted by William View Post

I can't propose a dojo for 2 mods and a dome on the 3rd one, it's inconsistent and goes against the "federative" point of the org imo. And I don't want it ^^

And I disagree that Gravity is "too low", if someone flies away it's not because gravity is too low, it's because he pushed way too hard and didn't adapt properly.

Thing is most people who played wushu back in the days are used to ubber stronk comebacks with knee(s), or extending elbows+wrist (the kind of comebacks that suit heavy gravity) because, without limitation in space, they all took the habit to have matchs where you fight for 250 frames and comeback for 500 frames on huge distances. It's not good fighting/striking if you fight for 1/3 of the fight, it was closer from a jousting mod in which players have to launch themselves than actual fighting ; and as fun as it was back then, there are far more interesting things to experience and discover in a low gravity striking mod in which you're required to be somewhat subtle.

Striking_LG isn't wushu and therefor doesn't have to feel the same, it's strongly inspired because it shares gravity and turnframes, but it's not wushu. Low gravity should be a challenge and the dome removes that challenge.
Last edited by deprav; Aug 11, 2015 at 03:40 PM.