Toribash
Original Post
View National Rankings
After reading through this ambitious thread http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=521780 I thought of an idea with smaller scope but still with the intention of national/international competitiveness just using the existing rank system.

Ideas:
1 - National Rankings: A player can view the rankings within each country. Who're the highest ranking players in Australia? Sweden? Russia?

2 - Country Rankings: Player's can view which country has the highest average rank. Showing the top 3-5 could add some competitiveness.
Possible Issue -
Whether a minimum amount of players for a country is required to rank it. Why? If there's a country with only one ranked player, and that player is highly ranked, then they would practically automatically be top ranked as the majority of populated countries would have a diverse amount of ranks which would lower their average.

Possible Rewards -
Displaying somewhere both in-game and on forums the previous winners for both individual national ranks and country ranks. Top 5-10 players for national. Only top country shown.
Giving the top player for each country a 3D armband/headband with their countries flag designed into it.

Community Effect -
Adding awareness of players within certain countries, building more of a 'national pride' feel for ranks.
Adding national competitiveness may encourage more in-game activity as well as good-natured patriotic forum support. An increase in in-game activity would require displaying the ranks on the forums though, more work.

Well thanks for reading/considering my idea. Any feedback, additions or criticisms welcome!
The rankings are already meaningless. Making country ranking would be even more meaningless. With monthly resets its nothing but "who in this country plays the most"
Originally Posted by Viddah View Post
What about the less "Toribashed" in countries?

One possibility is adding in a minimum amount of players for a country to count. And then to avoid alts a minimum amount of games played per account or overall.

Originally Posted by Viddah View Post
What about people who use vpn or vps?

Could do it on the trust system and allow players to designate their country rather than where they connect from.
-----
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
The rankings are already meaningless. Making country ranking would be even more meaningless. With monthly resets its nothing but "who in this country plays the most"

I mostly agree :/. This whole idea was largely just to add another use to the new ranked system... hopefully bringing back a lot, or at least some, of the players that left due to the recent change. Especially with the bragging rights of having an item showing you're the best, I think it could work. Not really feasible for a game still in development though.
Last edited by TartTurtle; Sep 15, 2015 at 03:09 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump