ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
The October Game
I was hoping we could discuss the premise of The October Game by Ray Brandbury.

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Ray Douglas Bradbury (born August 22, 1920[3]) is an American fantasy, horror, science fiction, and mystery writer. Best known for his dystopian novel Fahrenheit 451 (1953) and for the science fiction stories gathered together as The Martian Chronicles (1950) and The Illustrated Man (1951), Bradbury is one of the most celebrated among 20th and 21st century American writers of speculative fiction and has been described as a Midwest surrealist.

My main point I'd like to discuss, of course, is how you read the ending. It can be assumed that

SPOILER

The case could also be made for other endings. I would just like to hear your thoughts on the subject. I want to hear what evidence you can pick out to support and defend your case. This should be fun. And it's for the holidays too right?
PigeonHive Flap Buzz
tl;dr

Can I please get a summary? Looks interesting, but not enough to actually read.
[Chess]
daddy kill the spider
I guess there aren't other explanations, the face of the people in the last picture explains everything, he killed her and cut every bodypart of her, passing to everyone as if it was from some "Witch".
Horrible..

---

ToriTroll: http://asylums.insanejournal.com/sca...y/1165095.html

It's the story in comics, hope it helps.
Last edited by Souls; Oct 29, 2011 at 01:26 AM.
On your knees...
The grey company is arriving now...
I don't quite agree with that. It's a bit less clear when you start dissecting the story. The biggest thing I believe that supports the theory that he didn't kill her is the last sentence. Particularly the word stupid. If he wanted his wife to be scared and start freaking out wouldn't turning on the light be the climax? It seems to be the anticlimax though. To me this signifies that the wife's fear is tamed. Because when someone stupidly turned on the light ( I believe it to be the girl) the wife saw her. There are other areas too. Like how he calls the children mice. Showing how they can be manipulated and controlled like lab rats. Also the mention on leaves in that same sentence signifying change. Aloso, wlike you point out, the witch he says is finally dead. His daughter is a skeleton. That doesn't make sense. There are more too.

What I picture happening is that the husband was going to take his daughter away from his wife's "side" and bring her to his. Think about it. He feels alone. He's felt alone for years, and he wants to make his wife feel like that too. So why not make his wife feel like the odd one out for a change. So he concocts this "masterful" plan to get his daughter on his side but it falls through when the daughter stupidly turns on the light and chooses her mom, again. There should be a sequel to this.
PigeonHive Flap Buzz