Ranking
Original Post
[art] Predator
Hello, I'm doing this thing for art class. I have to make a well detailed drawing of a movie character based off a picture (I'll post the picture here next week).
I only get the time to work on it for about a total of 2.5 hours a week, so I can't update this super often.

Here's what I've got so far:

WIP 1

WIP 2

Feel free to give opinions.
I'm using an old pilot pen and my fingers, nothing fancy.
|Opener by Xioi|#KillTheScootCork|
|Replays|
"Cool delfin med solglajjor" -Larfen
try to shade more or less entirely with the pencil and not smudge with your fingers, it makes a mess and embeds the graphite into the paper
Ahhh fuckk!!3)it’s 2LIT . >>>>
Originally Posted by cats View Post
try to shade more or less entirely with the pencil and not smudge with your fingers, it makes a mess and embeds the graphite into the paper

Exactly what I was going to say. It would be best to make an outline for all (or almost) the whole drawing and then return for shading. That way, you will be able to have crisp edges and it won't look so messy. I see that you're using your fingers a lot, and this makes shading look flat (which is the opposite of what shading is supposed to do- add depth). Try using a wider variety of pencils. Use a 2H for the light spots, and something like a 4b-6b for the darker areas (that is, if you have/can get a decent pencil set).

Still though, keep going!

Might I ask your age/grade? What's your reference image (if any)?
Co-leader of Nitro | Replays
Originally Posted by SkyWhale View Post
Exactly what I was going to say. It would be best to make an outline for all (or almost) the whole drawing and then return for shading. That way, you will be able to have crisp edges and it won't look so messy. I see that you're using your fingers a lot, and this makes shading look flat (which is the opposite of what shading is supposed to do- add depth). Try using a wider variety of pencils. Use a 2H for the light spots, and something like a 4b-6b for the darker areas (that is, if you have/can get a decent pencil set).

Still though, keep going!

Might I ask your age/grade? What's your reference image (if any)?

I'm at the age of 14, so I'm at the end of my 8th grade.
As I said in the OP, the refrence pic will be up here next week.
I do have a good set of bruynzeel expression graphite pencils but I've always been a little afraid of using them as they often become an ass to erase if I mess up. I'll keep this advice in mind for my future drawings but I'm pretty sure it's too late to change methods on this one.
Thanks, you two.
|Opener by Xioi|#KillTheScootCork|
|Replays|
"Cool delfin med solglajjor" -Larfen