Toribash
The numbers don't support your claims that the guns kills the owner more than it protects.
First of all let's be very clear about something: allowing guns doesn't mean everybody will have one on their waists in every public place and shooting all the time. It should be a very restrict proccess, the same for getting ammunition. Regulations doesn't mean taking all the guns away, just controlling it with inteligence.

No, the armed forces does not make your gun useless. All it takes is a little bit of research to find out how many men protected their families while the police was coming. If you think that the gun only works in movies and in reality you suddenly become a sloppy moron who can't even shoot at someone and all the criminals suddenly become professional hitmen that will always have you on the worst situation, then you're wrong.

Of course giving guns away like it's candy it's a pretty stupid thing to do, but it doesn't mean guns are "evil" and that it should be outright banned...
A dude walks in the cinema and kills 12 people in a gun happy country. The media makes it look like a genocide.
Meanwhile drug dealers tortures and murders 20 families in a country with no civilian guns. Nobody cares, just another day.

It's not just about shooting, there is a psychological effect going on. The criminal is not suicidal, he probably fears being shot. He'll think twice before doing anything, if there is any chance of the victim being armed.
-The Doctor is in-
24/7
PRETTY GOOD WITH RIDDLES
Originally Posted by Gum View Post
1. In the US, most theaters are now not allowing anyone to wear costumes or masks into a movie anymore.

2. Felony Murder Rule. Look it up

3. Umm, if someone in the crowd shoots back at the crazy guy in front of everyone, its kind of obvious.

4. Movie theaters don't have security guards. Most individual theaters inside the main building each have their own emergency exits, so he likely walked right to the back door of that theater and went in.

1. Good!

2. My point wasn't the punishment itself, but the morals in missfiring a gun, killing someone by accident.

3. You forgot about the tear gas. Not to mention the chaos when an armed madman enters a room with unprepared visitors and starts shooting.

4. You have a point, but i really think movie theatres should have some sort of alarm device (not sure if this theatre had one or not) since when you go out through an emergency exit, there is usually a good reason.

Originally Posted by Gum
Now yes, most of this stuff probably only applies in the US. Hopefully this disclaimer is enough to satisfy all of you US hating assholes who think we all know nothing and carry around bazooka's.

I'm an American citizen, although I'm at the moment occupied in Sweden. And I don't hate America, but to think the country is perfect is just plain stupid.

I also think you know something, which is why we are having a discussion, preferably without calling each other assholes.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
Originally Posted by Lazors View Post
1. Good!

2. My point wasn't the punishment itself, but the morals in missfiring a gun, killing someone by accident.

3. You forgot about the tear gas. Not to mention the chaos when an armed madman enters a room with unprepared visitors and starts shooting.

4. You have a point, but i really think movie theatres should have some sort of alarm device (not sure if this theatre had one or not) since when you go out through an emergency exit, there is usually a good reason.

I'm an American citizen, although I'm at the moment occupied in Sweden. And I don't hate America, but to think the country is perfect is just plain stupid.

I also think you know something, which is why we are having a discussion, preferably without calling each other assholes.

That last part is just directed at a certain person who seems to not like me here. Apologies if you thought it was directed at you. By no means is the US perfect, but its not as bad as everyone seems to think it is.

Now to get back on topic, I know the theaters by me have alarm devices on the emergency exits, but its possible to disarm those if you try.
Read the Market Rules
In #Support: [19:53] <@firebolty> StileCheat: Did you try this?: would you lick onima's pussy clean for 10,000 dollars
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Originally Posted by PlagueDoc View Post
I live in a country with strict gun control and I can guarantee that it only helps the criminal.
There is no plausible argument to be against civilian guns, countries like mine that ban them still have a ridiculous amount of illegal guns flooding the streets. It basically means that everyone that wants to walk within the law is properly fucked because the guns will be there, legal or not, and criminals will use it, no matter how much control you put into it.

I just think that some states in the U.S go a little too much crazy about the right to bear firearms.

I heard that you can buy ammo from Wallmart. Of course there needs to be some limits and good regulations.

i agree with this guy and nd gum Some kids should just stop posting (torienko-oracle)
-----
if they make murder legal i wanna see how long it takes u to purchase a firearm
Last edited by kball; Jul 23, 2012 at 11:30 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
[TA]¤[Clan]¤[bncy]¤[eVo]¤[Fish]
¤Team Wushu Tier 5 ¤
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Roses are red, violets are blue, faces like yours belong in the zoo. Don't be mad, I'll be there too. Not in the cage but laughing at you.".

Originally Posted by kball View Post
i agree with this guy and nd gum Some kids should just stop posting (kball)
-----
if they make murder legal i wanna see how long it takes u to purchase a firearm

If you aren't contributing to the thread, maybe you should stop posting. Saying that you agree doesn't discuss anything. Always respect other's opinions in a discussion, don't tell them to stop posting.
Thank you.

Well, after saying all that i have to contribute right?
Originally Posted by PlagueDoc
The numbers don't support your claims that the guns kills the owner more than it protects.First of all let's be very clear about something: allowing guns doesn't mean everybody will have one on their waists in every public place and shooting all the time. It should be a very restrict proccess, the same for getting ammunition. Regulations doesn't mean taking all the guns away, just controlling it with inteligence.

Where did you get your "numbers" from?
The rest of what you said makes sense, so I'm not gonna comment on that (i already did...).

No, the armed forces does not make your gun useless. All it takes is a little bit of research to find out how many men protected their families while the police was coming. If you think that the gun only works in movies and in reality you suddenly become a sloppy moron who can't even shoot at someone and all the criminals suddenly become professional hitmen that will always have you on the worst situation, then you're wrong.

Same here, where did you get your "research" from?
So, it's better to risk your life and maybe disarm/kill the criminal?
Or is it better to let him take the money, almost guarantee you'll not get shot? (Because shooting someone gives a much longer punishment than mugging someone).

Of course giving guns away like it's candy it's a pretty stupid thing to do, but it doesn't mean guns are "evil" and that it should be outright banned...
A dude walks in the cinema and kills 12 people in a gun happy country. The media makes it look like a genocide.
Meanwhile drug dealers tortures and murders 20 families in a country with no civilian guns. Nobody cares, just another day.

Guns aren't evil, guns are tools. They are made to harm living creatures. Banning guns would make no sense, but restricting them is a whole different story.
Media does everything to sell. That's what happens when you look at News Channels with intentions of earning money rather than giving information.

And the last thing you said is very true, people suffer all around the world, because of that you're gonna ignore the fact that another guy shot 12 people in a cinema? Killing is bad regardless of how many people you kill. I could say the same about Hitler, he killed about 6 million people, and the rest of the world stood by and watched. That doesn't mean you should ignore other crimes in the world.

It's not just about shooting, there is a psychological effect going on. The criminal is not suicidal, he probably fears being shot. He'll think twice before doing anything, if there is any chance of the victim being armed.

Yeah, because Russia has nuclear weapons we have to have them too, so we can scare them into cooperating.

No. I'm sorry but that doesn't work anymore. You have a point, i wouldn't aim at someone with a gun, but at the same time when it comes to nuclear weapons, for example, "we can't disarm our nuclear weapons because we are afraid of getting attacked with no self-defense" has been going on for too long. How many A bombs has America dropped? Why? Because they have nuclear weapons. If no one had nuclear weapons no one would use them right? But we can't get rid of them because everybody wants some kind of protection.

Same goes with guns of any kind. "If i throw away my gun i will get shot". No, you will probably not get shot even if you don't have a gun. Paranoia, man, so hard to prove wrong...

Sorry bout the long post.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
Imagine if every person in the room had some formal training with a gun and everyone had one on their belt. as soon as that clown started firing he'd have 80 guns on him and 60+holes in him. This is the way it should be. In soviet russia my dad had to know how to use a gun and they taught him at school. Just give people guns like in sweden and there you go. If there was more gun control it would be completely irrelevant. If a criminal needs a gun, he'd get a gun whether there was a law preventing it or not, look at gang bangers, they have guns and theyre probably not legal.
🫷🦚🫸
The numbers don't support your claims that the guns kills the owner more than it protects.
First of all let's be very clear about something: allowing guns doesn't mean everybody will have one on their waists in every public place and shooting all the time. It should be a very restrict proccess, the same for getting ammunition. Regulations doesn't mean taking all the guns away, just controlling it with inteligence.

It's an over-generalization when I say the gun is more likely to kill the owner. Basically, I'm saying your legally owned gun is more likely to be used in a violent crime, or even an accident, than being used to prevent a crime.

And we aren't controlling guns with intelligence. As I said before, I can purchase a fully automatic rifle right now, and as much ammunition as I want, from a local store, and I only need to prove I've been a resident in the States for 3 months. That's not controlling with intelligence, that's practically giving them away.

All it takes is a little bit of research to find out how many men have shot their family. It only takes a little bit of research to find out how many people have been shot on accident because of poor firearm handling. It only takes a little bit of research to find that the average citizen is a no better shot than the average criminal. It only takes a little bit of research to find out how many more crimes are committed with legally obtained guns than prevented. I'm not saying they can't defend somebody, but I am saying that the amount of protection that it provides is outweighed by the amount of damage it propagates. It is a weapon, not a shield. It is designed to kill, not to defend.

See example above.

Guns are not evil. People aren't evil either. Evil is a perspective. What I can say is that guns are dangerous, and because of that should be banned or heavily restricted.

And logically, if all 20 families had guns, all 20 families would be saved, and they totally wouldn't have been ambushed, blackmailed, coerced, or killed and their guns stolen from them by individuals who could have upwards of 20 years experience performing these acts. Because guns are clearly a panacea for all of the world's problems, and as such should be placed in every household.

You're presenting two contrasting views in your argument. Either stick with guns should not be controlled, as people need to protect themselves, or stick with guns need better regulation, but not outright bans. You can't have both.

No he won't. It's not rational to plan something like this over a 2 month period, dye your hair red for the occasion, booby trap your house, then go into a movie theater in full bullet proof armor, shoot up the place, then stand outside the backdoor waiting for police to arrest you, and tell them you're the Joker when they do. Some criminals ARE suicidal, or they just plain don't fear death, or they think the risk is worth it. And then there's the fact that if they ARE scared of being shot, they will shoot you first regardless if you have a gun or not because they don't want to risk it. You also then can't figure out who's carrying a gun for malicious purposes, and who is carrying it for self-defense. Literally walking into a public area carrying a gun becomes significantly easier when EVERYBODY is carrying one, and is allowed to carry one.

And again, the majority of guns being used for illegal purposes were of legal origin. Remove those guns from circulation, or at least heavily restrict them, and the supply of guns for illegal purposes goes down. This is such a simple direct relationship that I'm surprised the majority of the population is reluctant to acknowledge it.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
Sirkill~. If a criminal needs a gun, he'd get a gun whether there was a law preventing it or not, look at gang bangers, they have guns and theyre probably not legal.

Like in mexico the police are basically locked in a civil war with the cartels. The cartels however are aquairing a lot better firepower than the police. The answer from where they're getting they're firearms are black market arms dealerssame as gang bangers as stated above. legal weapons are not the problem. This incident is a problem that is just almost unstoppable.
-----
Last edited by kball; Jul 24, 2012 at 03:33 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
[TA]¤[Clan]¤[bncy]¤[eVo]¤[Fish]
¤Team Wushu Tier 5 ¤
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Roses are red, violets are blue, faces like yours belong in the zoo. Don't be mad, I'll be there too. Not in the cage but laughing at you.".

Originally Posted by kball View Post
Sirkill~. If a criminal needs a gun, he'd get a gun whether there was a law preventing it or not, look at gang bangers, they have guns and theyre probably not legal.

Like in mexico the police are basically locked in a civil war with the cartels. The cartels however are aquairing a lot better firepower than the police. The answer from where they're getting they're firearms are black market arms dealerssame as gang bangers as stated above. legal weapons are not the problem. This incident is a problem that is just almost unstoppable.
-----

Despite the fact a large amount of the guns in Mexico are smuggled across the border from the US.

Oops, did you not know we produce more guns than any other country in the world? It's no shit that Mexico has a metric fuck ton of guns at their disposal. They have the largest, easiest, LEGAL stockpile of weapons right on their freaking doorstep.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
Found a neat little study published by the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy. It seems to corroborate with my claims that there's more to the situation than "less guns makes for less crime."

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/...useronline.pdf

Murder rates are determined by socio‐economic and cultural factors. In the United States, those factors include that the number of civilian‐owned guns nearly equals the population— triple the ownership rate in even the highest European gun ownership nations—and that vast numbers of guns are kept for personal defense. That is not a factor in other nations with comparatively high firearm ownership. High gun ownership may well be a factor in the recent drastic decline in American homicide. But even so, American homicide is driven by socio‐economic and cultural factors that keep it far higher than the comparable rate of homicide in most European nations.

The result is that high crime nations that ban guns to reduce crime end up having both high crime and stringent gun laws, while it appears that low crime nations that do not signifi‐ cantly restrict guns continue to have low violence rates.

Whether causative or not, the consistent international pattern is that more guns equal less murder and other violent crime. Even if one is inclined to think that gun availability is an important factor, the available in‐ ternational data cannot be squared with the mantra that more guns equal more death and fewer guns equal less death. Rather, if firearms availability does matter, the data consistently show that the way it matters is that more guns equal less violent crime.

Mei fati dominus, mei animi dux
Need to PM a SMod?

Unofficial Skimmer of Discussion!

Fabula Magnus wants more able RPers!
Cataclysm is still alive?

Thorn

Wiggi must love me forever now.