ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
PS2 Disc Read Error Solved *not again*
bare with me in this topic, i know the PS2 is old news but alot of people still own them and for good reason after knowing that not all of PS2 games are backwards compatible on the PS3. Anyway topic at hand, everyone understands that PS2's have had a mess of problems with disc read errors. Now many people claim to have solved this issue, with fixes and the such that we all most likely know (so i will not post these fixes without being asked). Many claim that their PS2's have only succumbed to disc read errors after watching several DVD's on their PS2's. But i have yet to see on any forum (if im wrong correct me) why it is DVD's that do this to the PS2 whenever PS2 games are on DVD-Rom and they dont seem to harm the system (yes i know PS2 games come on CD as well blue bottom and the such). Well i will explain this, see many of you probably understand now that their is such a format for DVD's known as dual layer (those who understand how much of a godsend dvdshrink is will know this format well) for those of you who have no idea what i speak of, DVD's started implimenting a Dual Layer format, baseically doubling the capacity of a DVD. This is where the breaking of the PS2 comes in. Retail DVD's about a year or so after the PS2 launch started being made soley on dual layer DVD's so as to allow more special features and the such. The PS2 was not made for viewing this dual layer format, in fact when the PS2 was launched dual layer had barely been implimented, Therefore the PS2's laser eye was not at all up to the task of reading these new format DVD. They stressed the PS2 so hard that they started getting the afformentioned Disc Read Error. I have conducted a test where i have retrieved two brand new PS2's with the same movie both on dual layer, and single layer (by use of DVD shrink and a DVD-R also with a +R) within a week of constant 24 hour playtime the PS2 with the retail movie inside could no longer read it, but it could read the single layer disc, and the PS2 with the single layer disc inside, could still read everything including the retail disc (but would no longer be able to had we left it inside). I came to this theory while fixing many PS2's and also while i took classes in college for my current IT proffesional title with focus in network administration. Thank you for taking the time to read if you did.
Re: PS2 Disc Read Error Solved *not again*
i had to buy a second PS2 too, a slim one, my old one started going crazy.
Blue discs are worse for the PS2 than DVDs btw.
Re: PS2 Disc Read Error Solved *not again*
I actually wasnt aware that blue discs harmed the PS2, since they are just CD-R's bassicaly, but its fully understandable, because the white cog behind the laser eye moves a few clicks to read CD's, so i think its possible thats the problem.