ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
A simple yet interesting idea for the Modders
Alright so I will get straight to it

A butt load of work can go into a fantastic mod , such as, layout , design , concept, detail and so on. Though releasing it to the community can be very rewarding.

But... it can also leave some satisfaction lost in a way.

So for the benefit of all the lovely modders out there I suggest a new kind of team form and what this team will do is this ...

1. Test the mods players wish to upload for approval
Example : -Playability
-function
- eye for detail
-layout
- appeal

And so on

2. Determine the overall value of the mod, approve the mod and pay the modder for his or hers work. If it is not approved then the modder can still upload but does not get paid.

I would like to see a process taken to weed out the not so great mods, I mean seriously, their must be over a thousand mods now and few are only played. But that would be open for debate.

This suggestion would not be difficult to develop at all but can still be discussed to make it better.

I love it.
On a related note, i made a thread about "weeding out" bad mods.
http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=433783
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
that would force people to actually try and make better mods
I support it fully
This is a great idea, but what would they be paid in?
Haters get the bird, This is my movie, Fellas in the back like a foul-ball free-throw
@ Lazors : It is good to know I am not the only one concerned about that amount of mods in toribash

@Mdm800 : Exactly , the way I see it , this would be similar to the texture market. Crap textures get crap tc , good textures can go for quite a lot.

Dipperschmit: The modders would be paid in TC of course , but that does not mean only tc . On a special occasion, perhaps a item you could only buy with tokens or even tokens themselves.
first of all, there should be a major clean up of mods. there are too many and their value is questionable.

some kind of fresh start to make mod cathegorization possible.
so environment mods will go one folder, competative mods will go another, fun mods to another, etc

after major clean up and sorting out stuff, quality controll should be maintained.

modders will be forced to make a thread with screens / explanation of concept and so on, before mod will be approved, so it may get improved with incoming feedback recieved in the thread.

we have quite alot of mods that are made for no reason without any forethought on meta, just because.
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
@TRichard21@Snake : Also be nice if the person sketched it out took a picture and uploaded it for further viewing, before it was actually made. dont want people wasting there time on something that wouldnt pass as what we are looking for in mods.
but that would have to be an optional thing because not everyone can sketch that amazingly.
Mmm, I dont know about the sketching part. Posting your mod weather it is accepted or not would be the best option , it keeps the mod thread alive.
Well, for now anyways. Just until a proper way is found to prevent questionable mods from being released .

Right now I am just focused on rewarding good modders for their hard work. The more people talk , the better the chance of it actually happening.
Sounds a lot like the old system we had, except with payments.

When the mod uploader was made it was moderated; anyone could upload a mod but someone from the upper staff or mod team had to approve them in order for the mod to be playable online. The obvious advantage was that it would keep crap mods under control, and since mod team were supposed to keep on top of it we wouldn't have to intervene with it.

However there's problems with it. Obviously to test a mod online it needed to get through the system, mod team died & it was left on admins to approve them - which generally involved getting a PM telling us to with a load of abuse following 10 minutes later because it hadn't been done instantly.

So in the end it was set to auto approve everything, leaving us with the ability to remove mods from the list. As for mod team, there are a few of the better mod makers with the perms for it so they can clean up their test versions themselves.

However there's also a few issues with the uploader & mod manager in general - for example deleting a mod from it doesn't kill the mod file completely, so once it's uploaded it's stuck on the server, just you can't see it in the list. That also stops filenames being reused because derp - hence why a lot of mod makers suffix test mods with "test" etc and end up re-releasing them with "fixed" and other such things.

I'm all for a better mod system, or at the very least a way of singling out the good ones & having them placed separately from the others; possibly categorised as suggested above. The original uploader of a mod should be able to overwrite the file too, removing the need for a stack of test & fixed releases.

The underlying issues with the uploader & list would have to be addressed first before anything else.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you