Ranking
Original Post
Toribash Community Improvements (steam, media, duels, rules and more)
Hey there.

Over the years as both ordinary member and a Staff, I've acumulated certain opinions, ideas, things I do and do not like about the game, the forum and the community. I had some things written down for a year now and I don't see a reason to keep it lying in the .txt for much longer.

The text down below concerns a number of problems or things that are being underutilized. I keep every paragraph in new spoiler not to make a wall of text

Steam

Toribash media

Organizations' involvement with events

Staff evaluation surveys/threads

The duelers' board

Middlemen initiative

Rules board

Most of the ideas here could be done without much resources or coding, all that's needed is some good will, users and moderators alike willing to work on them. All of those ideas can be expanded and explained with more details, be given examples - I can do so with some or all of them if this thread gathers enough support, for now I didn't want to bury your under 10 pages of PDFs.
Last edited by Powas; Jul 25, 2016 at 10:16 PM.
retired
Don't want to let this thread die.

Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
2) What I'd like is an official Toribash blog/updates ran by staff. Good freelance writers that actually give a crap. Talk about the recent texture sets sold, mods being made, events being run, newly invited Staff, clan updates and recruiting, etc.

If it's not already in the works, can this start being discussed by upper staff in their board? It seems a lot of people are keen for some new media team doing things (that won't die real quick).
Guess the blog could be brought back or a (third? fourth?) revival of torinews.
One of the issues that I ran into personally when I was involved in those were that there just isn't a whole lot that goes on here. Admittedly I tried to focus on big picture type things - stuff people might actually find interesting or care about - rather than superficial or mundane stuff.
I suppose when you zoom in a bit more there's lots to talk about:
Expensive/notable textures sold/made
Upcoming artists
Event roundup/results
New staff/retiring staff and interviews
Feature mods/scripts
Etc

But then I think the issue may become that people might not care about a lot of that stuff - or if they do then they already have tabs on it. I could be wrong, if people are keen on a general roundup of community news like that on that level then the content is there for sure.
Thanks for the bump, ele. Was planning to do so myself in a couple of days, atm I'm focusing more on the middlemen idea within the staff subforums, media and steam are close second on my priority list.

@solax: sure, we don't know what people might find interesting and worth reading more - big events, everyday folks with cool sets, great videos? The point is, we'll never know for sure unless we try. It cannot also be left to one guy or a small, closed group of people. I remember doing gm news thread and that was really exhausting after a while, you can only stay creative with sneak peaks and whatnot for so long before you have enough. From other things, I enjoyed reading various interviews with Staff but those got a bit stale after a while. Rutz-time radio was great but one guy can only devote himself to something for so long. New tori radio failed miserably after a good start. I feel that there is potential within the community, tho, ergo the proposed platform-like approach. Some guys to oversee it and the rest that does good stuff, get featured. If it's done well enough, people will see getting featured as a reward, possibilities to expand their art/textures/streams/content in general. Giving some more views to an underappreciated guy and making him a bit happier sounds like a small victory to me, especially if it'll make him work harder and stay longer with the community.

Sure, it might fail anyway but trying shouldn't hurt.
retired
Alright this is dying despite being spot on in many areas.

Firstly, can you elaborate on your rules board idea - in what ways is it superior to this thread in FAQ?

I was thinking of a safetrade-ish system rather than whitelisted users, however after considering it a real human is probably a much safer guard against USD scams since part of these transactions happens outside toribash as it were.

I'm not sure how many people would be using the Duels subforum honestly, although I do agree that it wouldn't hurt to be trying this.

Most importantly, who is charge of the Steam TB community? Who has the power to be adding moderators there?
It might not be getting new responses, which is a shame, but I haven't forgotten about it, just busy with squids stuff and moving out, and I'm still waiting for some input about what's happening with those discussion about middlemen.

As for the rules board, it's the idea I could give up on, since the thread you linked's being updated, so it works somewhat. Talked about it here, in response to this post.
Tl;dr the advantage an actual rules board would have over it is accessibility and placement - I think that FAQ and rules don't mix so well together, I'd say a new user would be more likely to go into Rules board/subforum to look for rules than to search for them in FAQ. Still, it is not a crucial issue atm.

For the duels subforum, I hoped some duelers would expand on it somewhat and get interested but looks like it didn't catch their attention. I'll try to get to them later, middlemen, steam and media are more crucial.

As for the steam discussion, Sir used to have all perks there before the navy took him, right now I'm pretty sure Icky can post stickies there, but he doesn't have perks to actually add other moderators.
retired
Originally Posted by Powas View Post
For the duels subforum, I hoped some duelers would expand on it somewhat and get interested but looks like it didn't catch their attention. I'll try to get to them later, middlemen, steam and media are more crucial.

i'd be down for the duelers subforum.

it'd be a nice way to maybe downsize the amount of dueling alts and scams, and a good way for lesser known people to get their name out there
[CENTER][B]professor finesser
Hello.

So, I finally took the time to read your post and there are some exciting ideas.

I think, in general the forum itself, the medias (radio, best vid of tthe week, free textures, heads, etc.) Should have been directly linked ingame. I think that the forum is actually the heart of the game and deserve more visibility. Just add some buttons on the main ingame HUD would be really great to make the game more alive. Giving a link to the forum, events, tutos, clan, with a tuto on how to use it and what we can find on it would make new players stop feeling alone and stay longer. I know that a lot of players just don't use the forum or simply don't know how to use it.
By adding a media button, people could see videos about good players, to let them see how is the game when you mastery it, watch tutos about moves, forum, ingame commands, find free textures, etc.

But maybe the idea to add ingame link is not possible, idk.

About the art itself, I have less time to edit, but I still have enough to help on the forum. Let me know if you could find it usefull.

Btw on the top of the forum there is already ads for events and streams. The same for videos (a link that random change from a database links) could be very cool. I think, in general, it would be really worth to link more the game, the forum and the medias.

Let me know what you think about it.

My Youtube channel : Mocucha Toribash

Originally Posted by Mocucha View Post
But maybe the idea to add ingame link is not possible, idk.

It's possible, webchat can already be opened via the Steam browser from the game.

It'd just need something added to open the forum in the same way, ideally in a more visible place than where webchat is so people notice it's there.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
Even without a major time investment, adding a nicer landing screen like this or so surely can't be out of the question?:

ms paint baby