Toribash
Original Post
Photoshop
Hey guys, i'm not sure if this is the right section, but i've looked everywhere and this seems to be where questions are asked.

Alright, So i want to get into textures and designing them, I've learnt the basics of photoshop but there's one thing that i really cant figure out.

I open up my sheet on 128x128 and to keep it simple, i mark the middle with the rectangular marquee tool, I do my design and then i copy it, Then move the marquee to the other side of the page, And paste the half picture onto the other side, and then i flip it, They go together nicely.

After that, i can only edit one side of my design. I'm very new to photoshop and it's really getting on my nerves. I understand about the layers, but i dont see any way to get around it. Can someone help me please?

PS: I may seem like a dumbass to some of you guys, but you've got to start somewhere, right? Hopefully i'll be spitting out some great designs, but i just need to sort this problem out.

Thanks.
If i press backspace, it deletes the new layer that i just placed.

I'm designing a robot, I'm doing half the design, then basically i need to paste it onto the other side, then flip it horizontal, so both sides match. But once i do that, i can only draw on that new side.

There has to be some way that i can draw on the whole thing.
Use the same tool you use to select half the image, but click outside of the image, and you will be able to draw on the whole image.
When you copy it, does it give you the option to "layer via copy"? If so, click that, drag the new layer over, open the layers tab, and select either layer to edit it, or to make it easier right click on the background layer and click "merge visible."

I only know CS3, but Im guessing this hasnt changed.
Organisation of Awesome: Member.