ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Lack of changeable settings since version 2 demo?
Hey everyone,

quick question. I got introduced to toribash via a coverdisc on pcgamer in the uk this month and have been merrily beating shit out of uke ever since.

I downloaded the latest version from the toribash main site because I kept gettin "wrong version" errors when trying out the multiplayer side of things.

BUT!! The "newer" demo version has had the previously changeable setting greyed out! I can no longer turn off the music (which, although very cool, can grate after a while), alter dismemberment or disqualify settings?! WTF?!

I can appreciate that greying these options will encourage more people to buy what is a very addictive and good fun game, but I personally see this as a step backwards when there is currently a "freely" distributed older version that provides more options, whuilst the newer version of the demo must be downloaded purely to access multiplayer.

Thoughts anyone?
Re: Lack of changeable settings since version 2 demo?
Some of us still have the older version of it. I know I do.

I only really use it when I'm training, or need a screenshot. I find it's helpful, but multi's where all the fun is (imho, which I learned from Hampa )

Before redistributing, though, I'm going to have to check with Hampa for approval. I don't really want to do anything I'm not supposed to.
In this new version you will also get a custom character, online rankning and the ability to join and play with the Pro servers

The music option is fixed for the next release of the demo. For now you can use the -nomusic switch on a shortcut to Toribash.

Cool that Toribash is on the cover disc of PC Gamer. Is it PC Gamer UK?
Yup, I introduced it to Graham Smith, the disc editor over there. ;)
Originally Posted by TurokGMT
I can appreciate that greying these options will encourage more people to buy what is a very addictive and good fun game, but I personally see this as a step backwards when there is currently a "freely" distributed older version that provides more options, whuilst the newer version of the demo must be downloaded purely to access multiplayer.

I'll point out that the "Newer" version of the demo is actually the full game, just that most features are restricted until purchase, like most shareware games.

The reason the "older" version is the one on the coverdisk is because obviously the disk contents have to be compiled and the disks themselves pressed before the magazine goes to print. At the time the disk was made, that will have been the latest version avilable at the time. It was only after 2.0 that Toribash went from "freeware" to "shareware" as it were.
The are a few ways to deal with the music. My favourite is deleting music.ogg from the directory I hope that helps.
I has a flavour
Wow, look at The_B's head. Damn cool.
don't unban, he has hard coded userid bypasses everywhere.
Originally Posted by veb
Wow, look at The_B's head. Damn cool.

It's been in the game since 1.9 as well (thanks Hampa for including it), but thank you! ;)