Toribash
Original Post
[SOLVED] Saving textures as .tga turns them pink and ruins them
Preface:

I want to make textures (because that's a decent way of earning toricredits).

I thought the easiest thing to start with would be the floor texture, since I don't have to worry about it being wrapped around a sphere, cylinder, or cube.

Using this tutorial I went ahead and created a simple smiley face to test it on. The image is a 512x512 PNG with a transparent background. It was created using Aseprite.

Awww, isn't it cute?

Then, using GIMP I loaded up the smiley face picture, and converted it to a TGA. I was sure to uncheck the RLE compression box. I named it the appropriate name (ground) and plonked it in Toribash custom/preview folder I made. Used the /lp 0 preview command and huzzah! It showed up!

Now the problems can begin.

Problem: For whatever reason that I can't for the life of me figure out, it turned the smiley face into, well just take a look

Jimmies status: You bet your life it's rustled

In game? More or less the same thing.

Why

However in game, it reverts back to the true 512x512 size (In GIMP, it's still 512x512, but as you saw, it scrunches up to the left hand side.)

What I've tried (None of these have fixed the problem):
-Uninstalling then reinstalling GIMP
-Restarting my computer
-Rebuilding the image from scratch

I've scoured Google for an answer, but I can't find anything that resembles this phenomenon.

Help would be much obliged.
Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream
Firstly, the tutorial is from 2009. GIMP has been updated since then.

Secondly, you should Export As, not Save As when trying to convert it to a .tga file via GIMP.

Thirdly, do not untick that compression box. I never changed it and it worked fine for me through all versions of GIMP.

Edit; here is your converted file in targa format, in case you still have issues.
Attached Files
kD1XFI7.tga (7.5 KB, 7 views)
Last edited by Abyss; Jan 31, 2015 at 03:39 AM.
I'm a game developer for other games.
Ping me if you have a query or general question unrelated to this game.
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
Firstly, the tutorial is from 2009. GIMP has been updated since then.

Secondly, you should Export As, not Save As when trying to convert it to a .tga file via GIMP.

Thirdly, do not untick that compression box. I never changed it and it worked fine for me through all versions of GIMP.

Edit; here is your converted file in targa format, in case you still have issues.

1. Sorry, should have specified I was using the current version of GIMP.
2. Again, typo on my end. I was exporting them as tga's.
3. Tried that, didn't work, this happened.

It ain't pretty

As you can see, the colours died.

I appreciate what you did, but it's impractical to have to come to the forums and ask someone to convert it for me obviously.
Still trying to get to the bottom of this.
I have no idea why gimp does this.

EDIT: Okay, something is definitely weird here.
The image you gave me died when I opened it in GIMP. Same thing happened as I said in the first post (where it becomes sort of squashed against one side).
Last edited by sweepins; Jan 31, 2015 at 04:04 AM.
Then something is definitely wrong with GIMP, or something you are doing in the process. Which one are you using, and what is the process you use? (Most updated and stable version is 2.8.14, I have never had the issue you were having with it in any version though)
I'm a game developer for other games.
Ping me if you have a query or general question unrelated to this game.
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
Then something is definitely wrong with GIMP, or something you are doing in the process. Which one are you using, and what is the process you use? (Most updated and stable version is 2.8.14, I have never had the issue you were having with it in any version though)

I'm using 2.8.14.
I don't understand why it's doing this. I've never had this problem before either.

The process I use is:
I create a PNG on a transparent background (The smiley face).
I make sure the PNG works by opening it it with the default windows photo viewer.
Then in GIMP, I open said PNG, and export it as TGA.
The weird thing is, when I initially export it as a TGA, it doesn't do that pink, vertical line thing as seen above. It looks exactly like the PNG I loaded earlier.

It only "dies" when I open it in GIMP after I save/export it as a TGA. So it goes:
-Save/export as TGA
-Close GIMP
-Open the now TGA file in GIMP
-Observe pink madness.

FIXED UPDATE: Okay, pretty sure I got it now.
I reset the saved window positions under Edit > Preferences > Window Management -> "reset saved window positions to default values".
I also reset the tool options under Edit > Preferences > Window Management -> "reset saved tool options to default values".

Not sure why that does the trick, but hey, it worked.
Hopefully no one else ever has this problem again.

Thanks for the help though Abyss, it let us narrow down the options.
Last edited by sweepins; Jan 31, 2015 at 05:50 AM. Reason: fixed
When I had a similar problem with MS Paint (yes I use it) I solved the problem by saving as the default image format and using this website to convert the image:

http://image.online-convert.com/convert-to-tga

Saved the download to desktop (or any other known place) and then uploading to the forums.

I know your problem is fixed but if this helps anyone else then its all good