Toribash
Yeah I think most of the lines are over in the east (iirc)!
When I see you, my heart goes DOKI⑨DOKI
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
Jumping in the conversation a bit late, but hell, why not.

Currently I have satellite internet and it quite simply sucks.
For gaming, the only thing that I can play worth anything is WoW and at that I cant pvp because of the massive amounts of ping. In fps' the only possible way to get a kill is to lob grenades everywhere I go. Quite simply, gaming with over 9000 ping is impossible.
Even my brother's Droid, which he tethers when he comes home, is better for gaming than something that is intended PURELY for internet. It gives me playable amounts of ping, in the 200-400's range; however, I can still tell the difference from that and FiOS. On the droid in COD I am usually in the negatives on k/d ratio. On low latency I am most often the best person playing. Who would have ever thought that .2 seconds or so could do so much....

On just the sheer downloading side, satellite still sucks because of the low bandwidth allowances and the sub-par speeds, even on the highest possible residential package.
Satellite's a fine example of why upload speed is so important.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
To a point, yes.
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
It's not the upload speed that's a problem, it's just the fact that the information has to go all the damn way to space and then to a hub and then it's regular internet from there.
I have a 384k line with a 15gb cap limit.
its nowhere near good enough.

inb4 "what is cap?"

even for general browsing its not good enough.
i need a 4mb :<
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
Originally Posted by Yourface View Post
Cap I would assume is the amount that you can download per allotted time period, also called bandwidth.

Depends on the ISP.

Generally it's the maximum usage per month - in his case 15gb

A lot of ISPs will allow you to go over the cap however & depending on how nice they are it could range from being throttled to being charged per meg.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
Originally Posted by Yourface View Post
also called bandwidth.

Nah bandwidth is different. Bandwidth is how much data can flow at one time.

Think of the internet is a series of tubes. The bandwidth is how much water can flow down your tube at one time, where as cap is how much water your ISP is willing to give you every month. After you use up your allowance your water trickles in at a very slow rate.
yea lol bandwidth is way different. a cap is the amount of total data transfer. once the cap is reached they dont allow any more data to be transferred at your normal speeds or in some cases not at all. just to basically reiterate what gorman said.

some companies however will charge you for any usage past your download cap and still give you the same amount of bandwidth.
You don't say?