Ranking
Original Post
Getting LAN users into my Online games
Hello everyone.

For a while now, I have had to go through hell to get my damned router (That's a cheap-ass Thompson TG585 v8) to allow people on my LAN to join into games which are also available to internet players.

i.e. Starting up an internet match on a game disallows other people on my LAN to connect to it through the internet. People outside of my LAN can join just fine.

And before anyone says anything, YES I HAVE FORWARDED THE PORTS.
Port forwarding does not appear to be the problem here.

To better explain, i'll give an example based on trying to get Borderlands to accept LAN players last year:

1) My brother who is connected to our router's LAN could not connect to my online game, but 2 friends were also playing with me over the internet at the time, so I looked up what the problem could be.
2) Turned out I needed to forward port 7777 as well as a couple of others.
3) I go into my router's menu page thing (122.xxx.xx.xx) and forward port 7777 and the others.
4) We get back into the game and everything is sunshine and rainbows - it worked and my brother could join over LAN.

NOW this is what happened recently:

1) Playing a game over the internet, my brother tries to join our game whilst connected through the same router (i.e. he's on our router's LAN much like I am) and it doesn't work. Frustrated I look up what the problem could be again.
2) Still need to forward port 7777 and others. I check our router's page and forward those ports again because the damned things have erased themselves somehow.
3) Try to get him to join again and... it doesn't work.
4) Got an automated port forwarding program which has a specific script for port forwarding Borderlands on my type of router. It does its work and I am assured the ports are forwarded correctly.
5) I try to get my brother to join the game, but again it doesn't bloody work.
6) I come onto the forums to seek help.

Now I have very little idea what the problem with this could be, so any help people could give me would be largely appreciated.
Also, Borderlands is just an example. Minecraft also doesn't work for my brother with internet games any more, although sometimes it can work depending on who starts up the server.
Hamachi - which I tried to use in order to bypass this problem - also doesn't work because it bumps my ping with my brother's PC up to 300 something whilst my connection to other players over the internet is in the 20-40 region.

I can provide more information if required. And yes, all the games have been allowed through my firewalls.
Both me and my brother are running Windows 7 64bit
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by 4zb41; Dec 9, 2011 at 10:41 AM.
300 ping is fine for most games.

Anyway it seems like you need to fix your router settings. Take some time and check through the settings properly. Your router may have a DMZ setting that you can apply to your machine that may fix the problem.

Perhaps your network was incorrectly set up in the first place, this is a difficult thing to diagnose if so...
Hmm... nope no sign of any DMZ setting anywhere.
Router-based firewall is turned off, ports are forwarded etc.
I tried assigning the ports to devices (i.e. my laptop and my brother's PC) previously but that also did nothing.
Oh and if it helps, we're both connected to the router through WLAN (wireless connection, ya know.)

And yeah, the only reason I brought uPnP up was because it caused issues with network games of BF3 before.

EDIT: OH MY GOD HOW THE FUCK DID THIS GET UP HERE?!
Last edited by 4zb41; Dec 9, 2011 at 01:56 PM.
300 ping resulted in that annoying "person appears here then jumps to a position 20 metres away" problem when we tried playing Minecraft. What was weird to me was the whole thing about a person connected to our hamachi through a different router got 20-40 ping.

Anyway, i'll try to look for that DMZ setting in my router's page. Any idea where it would most likely be?
It's got uPnP but that doesn't do shit regardless of whether it's turned on or not.
Originally Posted by FNugget View Post
If that doesn't work, Hamachi?

I realise my OP reeks of "TL;DR" so I'll just state here that I've mentioned that Hamachi isn't a valid substitute for me since it gives me an excessive ping.

Also the posts are still fucked on my end here: G?rm?n's post is still at the bottom, with newer posts being placed above it.
uPnP has nothing to do with this :L

DMZ would be somewhere near your firewall/port forwarding settings if you have it.