Toribash
Original Post
Multiclans
Originally Posted by Rai
Now that the initial heat has died down from this situation, there has been some posts with good points brought up and I am keen to see the direction that the discussion takes. What I'd recommend is that you start a thread in the Suggestions and Ideas board and direct people from the Off-Topic thread there where we can try to build something better.

The purpose of this thread is develop a solution to this recent mess regarding Parakeet. Use this thread to suggest alternative solutions to the problems perceived by clan staff.

The problems as clan staff see it:
Our rational is as so:

Parent-child, sibling, feeder or any type of multi-clans like this circumvent many intentional limitations placed on toriclans:
- member limits
- easy war farming
- easy achievement farming
- easy xp farming in general
- much larger (unfairly so) catchment for new recruits
- two recruitment threads, one usually in a space reserved exclusively for unofficial clans
- potential to play twice in clan events
- undefined interaction with activity checking

This Off-Topic thread, started when this new rule banning 'multi-clans' was implemented, has several suggestions for alternate solutions to clan staff's concerns, as well as arguments addressing the validity of clan staff's concerns. That thread should be considered required reading before posting here. I think Redundant's post, especially, shines a light on several good points.
----
My solutions to some the concerns raised:
Member limits - If a clan is formed for the sole purpose of de facto raising the member cap of another clan, then sure, ban that. You don't need to ban 'multi-clans' to do this, simply make a rule that says 'Abuse of the membercap system will not be tolerated'. Then, if it ever does happen that a clan is created to raise the membercap of another, you can stop them under that rule.

Easy war/xp/achievement farming - As above, make a rule that forbids abuse of the war + achievement system. Assumedly this rule would already exist. There's no need to over-bureaucratize this.

Potential to play twice in clan events - If they're two seperate clans, with two seperate memberlists, I don't see the problem. If you suspect collusion would happen, ban collusion.

Undefined interaction with activity checking - I'll define it for you. Clans are active, or they lose their board. Both clans would have to be active (if both clans were official (since unofficial clans don't get activity checked)). This is really a non-problem.
Last edited by Ele; Nov 19, 2017 at 08:43 PM.
Originally Posted by Ele View Post
Member limits - If a clan is formed for the sole purpose of de facto raising the member cap of another clan, then sure, ban that. You don't need to ban 'multi-clans' to do this, simply make a rule that says 'Abuse of the membercap system will not be tolerated'. Then, if it ever does happen that a clan is created to raise the membercap of another, you can stop them under that rule.

Oh so if they don't mean to abuse the membercap, and it was just a coincidence that it happened that way, then everything cool! We can trust your intentions, yeah?

lol

basic was right:
Originally Posted by basic View Post
imagine if every official clan had a feeder clan

don't you think this community is too small for this kind of thing?

This isn't a "Slippery slope fallacy," it's absolutely true. You use that to say, "wow they're instituting a curfew at night in my city, next thing you know they'll have shitting schedules for us!" is bullshit. A -/> B. In this case, you don't have two different things going on Allowing feeder clans absolutely means people will make feeder-clans. I mentioned this in the other thread, but the community is, at best, like 1500 members. Once one clan figures out they can supersize their membercount, others will too. Every old staff clan can make their own cute little feederclan, potentially doubling their membercount. The example I posed in the other thread, 5 or 6 clans having almost 50% of the toribash community in their ranks, is extreme, but normalizing feeder-clans will absolutely stratify the community, whether you want to accept it or not.

The solution to that is limiting membercap somewhere else, whether that means having a feeder clan puts you out 30 spots in your parent clan, or vice versa. Frankly, it'd be easier to be able to have ranks in your main clan that don't show tags

As you propose it, a feederclan is especially harmful because it 1.) doesn't rely on its own reputation to get members (applications to the feederclan hinge on the reputation of it's parent, official, clan), and 2.) because the parent clan can force any old joe into it because, in your words:
Parakeet would house players we wouldn't accept into Parrot. Point of Parakeet would be to build them up to that Parrot standard...
we don't want a chunk of our clan filled with people who we feel don't meet our standard.

Potential to play twice in clan events - If they're two seperate clans, with two seperate memberlists, I don't see the problem. If you suspect collusion would happen, ban collusion.

Which one is it, are they two seperate clans or is one just a list of not-quite-good enoughs that the parent clan is molding into acceptable little soldiers. You can't have it both ways, my dude. The whole concept of a feeder-clan implies that the parent clan is intimately involved in the affairs of the feeder-clan by definition.

The only solution to that is making it so feeder-clans can't participate in any events at all.

-snip-
Last edited by Arctic; Nov 23, 2017 at 05:17 AM. Reason: the mean legion
@Coca,
The thrust behind my solutions Coca, is that that by slapping on this ban on 'multiclans', all they're doing are creating an additional set of rules for things that are already covered by the rules.

You aren't allowed to farm wars for XP or achievements. If a 'multiclan' does that, close it - Same way you'd deal with a regular clan.

On membercaps, what is the point in us opening up a clan to avoid a membercap when we've recently increased our membercap? There's no point. In fact, because membercaps recently became increasable, I doubt there's any clan that would create a clan to circumvent the cap anyway. But yeah, I sort of agree with you on this one. There doesn't need to be a rule about membercaps.

On playing twice in events and collusion, assumedly it's already illegal to collude during clan events. So yes, staff have to figure out what is and isn't collusion already. This is not more work...
@Erth,
I'll reply after I've had some sleep. Good post.
@Pouffy,
Originally Posted by Icky View Post
Note I shouldn't need to mention but I will for the sake of attempting to head it off before it starts.

Don't devolve into insults and tantrums. Keep it civil and continue to aim for a resolution that satisfies, if not pleases all parties.

Perhaps just don't post?
Last edited by Ele; Nov 19, 2017 at 10:25 PM.
@Pouffy Perhaps just don't post?

Read around it? I made tons of valid points in that post, as well as rule suggestions. Show me the lie dude and I'll delete it.
Last edited by pouffy; Nov 19, 2017 at 10:34 PM. Reason: ayylmao
Why does it have to be another clan? If you want to make a training ground to prepare people for Parrot, can't you use other means instead of bumping small unofficial clans to the 2nd page? If Parakeet doesn't aim to be prestigious and is simply used for feeding Parrot new members, does it need the benefits that come with the clan system, like warring and ranking? And I doubt it needs its own dsc either, considering that everyone uses discord or irc for chatting. Make a pseudo dsc thread in your main clan's board if necessary.

If you want to implement an official feeder clan system, it would probably be better to make it a sub section of the main clan rather than hosting it outside and taking space in the clan board, which is one of the most active boards plus it would be bad for the smaller unofficial clans as it was already mentioned a bunch of times.

If you're so repulsed by other people that you simply don't want them near you until they're parrot approved, then I don't really know what to say and I have no input on the matter.
oh yeah
I don't think any Parrot would be against some sort of system where trials can be identified by a different tag, but still technically in the Parrot toriclan

Parakeet would simply be a tag for trial Parrot members, and all this potential for abusing toriclans systems would be gone

Perhaps this is the compromise people will be willing to accept

@Pouffy: You've been nothing but negative and hostile in your posts, idk why you're being so aggressive about it but if you want anyone to take you seriously you need to tone it down
FIRED UP
Originally Posted by Hush View Post
I don't think any Parrot would be against some sort of system where trials can be identified by a different tag, but still technically in the Parrot toriclan

Parakeet would simply be a tag for trial Parrot members, and all this potential for abusing toriclans systems would be gone

this would be a nice system but someone mentioned earlier it could be a lot of work for the devs to implement
Sorry if I offend? This, pardon my language I guess, has been sort of ridiculous. As a clan, your whole handling of this has been silly. Immediately you guys came out the gate with a staff complaint (you can't tell me or anyone else you actually PM'ed somebody about it before you did that shit), and your first accusations were of personal bias against you. That whole "this was a decision made in blah blah hours!" was cringe, the "clan squad doesn't even go ingame!" was unfounded... and how about "your whole bullshit argument" ...? Y'all even had the gall to have people call the staff group a joke. The pure, unadulterated irony was *kisses fingers* beautiful.

That's something I would have done two years ago, and having been a fucking imbecile I can recognize dumbshit when I see it. Not that I have anything personal against any of you; I have had friends in Parrot and Icky is someone I really like. I have a relatively good opinion of Ele, and I think some of the music he does is sick.

It's just that, between all that dumbshit I mentioned and you guys, apparently, through your fog of delirium, not being able to read any of the posts that argued against you in the other thread, you haven't given me any reason to respect your argument. If anyone would actually read my posts, I've at least done everyone the courtesy of constructing my posts with points and arguments, which I genuinely believe are fair and well intentioned. The snark is just fun fluff.

Y'all want me, or anyone to take this seriously, you need to actually listen to other people, dude.

If you're actually here to find a solution that works for the community, you can at least read around any superficial snark and address what I've actually said.
Originally Posted by Pouffy View Post
stuff

You look just as bad as the certain people who blew their top and made us look bad. This isn't even remotely related to the thread. Take this somewhere else.
FIRED UP
Originally Posted by pusga View Post
Why does it have to be another clan? If you want to make a training ground to prepare people for Parrot, can't you use other means instead of bumping small unofficial clans to the 2nd page?

Look at the Clan Discussion board right now. The only clans being bumped to the 2nd page are clans that haven't posted in 5 days.
Originally Posted by Pusga
If you're so repulsed by other people that you simply don't want them near you until they're parrot approved, then I don't really know what to say and I have no input on the matter.

We don't hold those sentiments, you're making a grossly hyperbolic strawman.
Originally Posted by Erth View Post
- member limits
The simple solution is to limit the membercap of a feeder clan to that of it's parents.

Sounds like a fair compromise to me.
- easy war farming
You're right, can be easily fixed with it's own rule. Can add an addendum that states that you can't use the official war system for wars between Parent/Child clans. I don't wanna say you can't war each other cos I imagine that shit would be pretty fun for everyone, especially if the child clan won, just can't use the toriclan system for it.

Agreed.
- easy achievement farming
Same as above, just make sure the two clans have no official interaction with each other within the toriclan system.
- easy xp farming in general
Above.

Yep.
- much larger (unfairly so) catchment for new recruits
The rules and system that we implement need to work on the basis that every official clan has the ability to create a feeder clan, and if that were the case you have a significant portion of the front page of unofficial clans being taken up by the already well established community, which very much hurts the 13 year old who's just getting into this unique ass video game with a couple of his mates and wants to be the next Nuthug.

Agree or not there is a very real damage that can/will be done to unofficial clans if feeder clans are allowed to freely act within the same pool as them and I don't know how to rectify this without shitting on feeder clans.
Like the only thing coming to mind are no DSC in the unofficial board (but there can be one in the parent board of the clan).

How about we just see how it plays out first. If it does end up happening that 20 feeder clans are created, and they end up sucking activity from every other unofficial clan, then we can come up with a solution. Maybe then, the idea for a board dedicated to feeder clans would be more viable.

If it turns out, nothing like that happens, well then that's great and we all continue on our merry way. What do you think about this compromise?
Originally Posted by Erth
- two recruitment threads, one usually in a space reserved exclusively for unofficial clans
Similar to my above point, but I would argue it's even more important that genuine unofficial clans be given the priority in this board as it's kinda the sign posted GO JOIN NEW CLANS HERE board.

If you'll let us take apps in our DSC thread, we don't have to have a thread in the Recruitment Centre. The rule preventing clans from taking apps in their DSC is archaic anyhow, and if you made an exception for multiclans, that would solve this issue.
- potential to play twice in clan events
Again, the rules would feel like I'm shitting on feeder clans but ultimately you could just say if Parrot (or parent) was involved in a clan event, Parakeet (or feeder) would be ineligible to play, end of.

I still think that since colluding is against the rules, we should just leave it as that, but I'm willing to concede this point if it means that you'll be open to our changes also.
- undefined interaction with activity checking
This one is left pretty broad because it's highly speculative in my mind, it's based on a series of what ifs that will be in effect in varying degrees constantly.
The extreme what if is; what if Parrot dies and Parakeet is thriving? Do we make Parakeet the new Parrot? Does Parakeet cut all ties and it becomes it's own clan?
How would we count them in activity checks? If Parrot was worthy of a warning but the Parakeet board was booming, how do we reconcile the two.
I think I know how this will be answered so I'll preemptively make my counter argument.
Feeder clan IS HEAVILY TIED with parent clan. I've seen lots of arguments say "it's its own clan just with endorsement". In my head it's like a disguised official clan in the unofficial board and so far none of the arguments presented have managed to convince me otherwise. Just people saying "yeah but we could say it's not then what's the difference". Well the difference is we're not idiots and it's obvious even if it's technically independent in terms of rules.

I mean, as I said in my first post, this is non-problem. If both clans are official, obviously they both need to be active. There should be no preferential (or discriminatory) treatment for official multiclans. Check them and warn them like you would any other official clan.

If the parent clan dies, the parent clan dies. If the child clan dies, the child clan dies. Leave it up to the members of the remaining clan to figure out what they want to do.
a suggestion/question,could this work if instead of sub-clan it
was made into an org?

that way you can get all the benefits of the separate forum (it can even get into official after a time i guess)
you can set any rules you like for the org joining process,you could even get members from other clans to join the org,
so it is even broader in terms of knowing new people and teaching them stuff (witch again,if you don't want its your org,
you set the rules of joining.)

and any problems get resolved since orgs don't participate in the clan system,
so no clan xp farming etc etc
Last edited by nikosefs; Nov 20, 2017 at 01:06 PM.