Toribash
ATI are best used for things that require colour accuracy rather than 3D features, I'd stick with ATI for 2D stuff without issues. Give them something that doesn't use DX & you'll see all the holes with them, GL's a fine example.

Nvidia may not have perfect drivers, but they screw up a lot less & you're not required to update the driver because a feature in a game isn't working with the one you have.

Keep in mind that the high benchmark figures you see for modern ATI stuff isn't always telling the whole story - they peak high, but drop low. Nvida stuff has a more consistent output so there's no nasty FPS drops all of a sudden. For example:

ATI 5870 in Crysis
Min 29fps Max 71fps

Seriously, a 41% performance drop. I'd stamp on a card if it did that to me. I'll stick with the 16% drop I already have TVM.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
Originally Posted by SkulFuk View Post
ATI are best used for things that require colour accuracy rather than 3D features, I'd stick with ATI for 2D stuff without issues. Give them something that doesn't use DX & you'll see all the holes with them, GL's a fine example.

Nvidia may not have perfect drivers, but they screw up a lot less & you're not required to update the driver because a feature in a game isn't working with the one you have.

Keep in mind that the high benchmark figures you see for modern ATI stuff isn't always telling the whole story - they peak high, but drop low. Nvida stuff has a more consistent output so there's no nasty FPS drops all of a sudden. For example:

ATI 5870 in Crysis
Min 29fps Max 71fps

Seriously, a 41% performance drop. I'd stamp on a card if it did that to me. I'll stick with the 16% drop I already have TVM.

Have you seen how many games need to revert back to Nvidia's previous drivers to maintain stability? I've never seen that with an ATI driver.
Originally Posted by F1ster View Post
Have you seen how many games need to revert back to Nvidia's previous drivers to maintain stability? I've never seen that with an ATI driver.

People could of course... Setup their drivers correctly to stop having to backtrack... Just a thought...

<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
Originally Posted by SkulFuk View Post
People could of course... Setup their drivers correctly to stop having to backtrack... Just a thought...

No no no, it wasn't user default. It was a compatibility issue. Take Left 4 Dead for example. I had to revert back to 1.88 drivers since the 1.93 I believe was released only a few weeks after (..corretc me if im wrong). The 1.93 caused BSODS, Crashes, extreme stuttering, sound loops, and constant freezes followed by corrupted save files and sometimes the game itself.
Originally Posted by jaredvcxz View Post
FYI: 300 watts isn't much. My 8400GS takes up that much.

It's the upper limit to remain within pci-e specs.

Also, if you have a 600 watt psu, then 300 watts is a lot. Fortunately, I got a 1000 watt one just in case. Sure as hell don't regret it now :]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
Originally Posted by F1ster View Post
No no no, it wasn't user default. It was a compatibility issue. Take Left 4 Dead for example. I had to revert back to 1.88 drivers since the 1.93 I believe was released only a few weeks after (..corretc me if im wrong). The 1.93 caused BSODS, Crashes, extreme stuttering, sound loops, and constant freezes followed by corrupted save files and sometimes the game itself.

That was a combination of a driver & Windows hotfix, caused a lot of issues with a lot of things. Both parties fixed it though.

Regarding the power requirements being discussed, remember that the number quoted is only if it's running full-tilt. The majority of the time it'll be using next to nothing.

<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
So worst case scenario: guy with 3x sli does Folding at Home, falls asleep, gets heat stroke by the time he wakes up.

If it weren't for CUDA and Physx though, I'd definitely be using Ati now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
Originally Posted by DarkJak View Post
So worst case scenario: guy with 3x sli does Folding at Home, falls asleep, gets heat stroke by the time he wakes up.

If it weren't for CUDA and Physx though, I'd definitely be using Ati now.

Well, The heat doesn't usually escape the case? ;o

Yeah I know, he lays his head on the desk next to his computer ;p