ES Recruitment Drive
Originally Posted by cocacobra View Post
Oh, and what's the big difference between my current PSU and that one other than the 20W because 20W doesn't seem to be worth 100$.

The difference is that your current 600w PSU has the amperage of a 400w PSU. While that isn't a big problem and you won't be struggling to power your parts, PSUs work better when they're not near their limits.
Really there's no need to replace your current one yet though, I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts making suspicious noises :P

Alright so as of now the current build is looking like this:
- AMD FX 8350 4GHz 16mb 8 cores 165W
- XTREME GEAR 600W ATX Power supply
- Seagate barracuda 7200.12 1TB
- GIGABYTE GV-R927XOC-2GD Radeon R9 270X (says its a support card but seems to look like it works alone)
- ASUS M5A98 R2.0

Looks pretty decent to me, save the battery.

Looks pretty good. Again my only concern is the PSU but I don't blame you for not wanting to replace it.
You might also want to look into whether you can get more than just BF4 for free with that R9 270x too, there was some sort of ATI promo recently but I'm not sure it extended to the R9 series (I think it was for the old HD line cards) and I can't check due to poor connection :<

EDIT: Careful! I decided to check the reviews for that card, and apparently Newegg has run out of BF4 keys. Have a look at other vendors and 270x brands to see if you can find one that still has it on offer.
Other brands of R9 270x for around the same price include the Sapphire and MSI models - both are good cards but I can't really help digging up promos, sorry. I'm stuck on like dial-up here for the time being.
Double edit: Someone who bought the Sapphire model over at Newegg on the 9th of December apparently received their copy of BF4, so if you were interested in BF4 for free I think there's your option.
Last edited by 4zb41; Dec 12, 2013 at 11:58 AM.
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
The point of memory on a GPU is to allow larger textures and models to be loaded, and to deal with larger displays. If you set the graphics settings to a game too high (for example if your card is only 512MB and you use highest quality textures and models and a high resolution with antialiasing) then your computer will have to store some of that data in your RAM, which is significantly slower than the memory on your GPU. This makes the game very slow! In general, more memory on GPU is better, but some cards come with 6gb or 8gb, which isn't really necessary.

What is this battery you are talking about? Do you mean the power supply? If so, it's not a battery!

Ah that makes sense, so technically it just reduces the stress on the RAM. SORRY AHHHHH
Originally Posted by 4zb41 View Post
The difference is that your current 600w PSU has the amperage of a 400w PSU. While that isn't a big problem and you won't be struggling to power your parts, PSUs work better when they're not near their limits.
Really there's no need to replace your current one yet though, I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts making suspicious noises :P

Looks pretty good. Again my only concern is the PSU but I don't blame you for not wanting to replace it.
You might also want to look into whether you can get more than just BF4 for free with that R9 270x too, there was some sort of ATI promo recently but I'm not sure it extended to the R9 series (I think it was for the old HD line cards) and I can't check due to poor connection :<

EDIT: Careful! I decided to check the reviews for that card, and apparently Newegg has run out of BF4 keys. Have a look at other vendors and 270x brands to see if you can find one that still has it on offer.
Other brands of R9 270x for around the same price include the Sapphire and MSI models - both are good cards but I can't really help digging up promos, sorry. I'm stuck on like dial-up here for the time being.
Double edit: Someone who bought the Sapphire model over at Newegg on the 9th of December apparently received their copy of BF4, so if you were interested in BF4 for free I think there's your option.

is there anything different about sapphire that's drastically different? I saw that and I believe newegg will give the BF4 eventually. Thanks a ton for all of the help guys!
i created the ??? emoji
like a lighter bitch we ignit
is there anything different about sapphire that's drastically different?

The Sapphire card has a slightly lower standard clock speed - you won't notice the difference. Even less so if you slightly overclocked it.

Thanks a ton for all of the help guys!

No problem! ;)
Good luck with the build.
New problem windows 7 isn't starting correctly and is suggesting "remove any newly installes hard drives or hd controllers. Check hd to make sure its properly configured and terminated. Run chkdsk /f to check for hd corruption, and then restart computer" which leads me to believe I fucked up the hd while installing. System restore didt work and neither did start up repair. I'm pretty damn sure the connections are fine, anyone know any fixes? Google didn't help me solve my problem much.
i created the ??? emoji
Oh no!
There are a couple of things you could try:
  • Reinstall Windows 7, maybe it installed wrong. You'll have to check your BIOS to make sure a USB/DVD drive (whichever you're using to install win7) takes priority over the hard drive. I think there's a "repair install" option but I cannot be sure.
  • Swap your HDD over to a different SATA port on the motherboard.
  • Make sure you've only got 2 cables going into the HDD - the SATA connector and the power, which should be right next to each other.
  • If possible you could plug it into some other PC you have available and see if it recognises it as a drive. If not, it's fried. If so, try installing Win7 on it from that PC instead - backup any files you have on there beforehand because it'll wipe it when it reinstalls.
  • If all else fails, RMA it on your seller's website as "Dead on Arrival" and have them send you another.

Sorry to hear it didn't go so smoothly
Figured out what it is hdd is IDE mobo is automatically set to AHCI not seeing any options in bios but will look into it further after work.
FIXED IT I AM GOD
wasnt recognizing my video card but
FIXED IT I AM GOD
Thanks a bunch guys everything is up to speed and working fine! your help is very appreciated!
Last edited by cocacobra; Dec 29, 2013 at 12:21 AM.
i created the ??? emoji
Figured out what it is hdd is IDE mobo is automatically set to AHCI not seeing any options in bios but will look into it further after work.
FIXED IT I AM GOD
wasnt recognizing my video card but
FIXED IT I AM GOD
Thanks a bunch guys everything is up to speed and working fine! your help is very appreciated!

Good to hear you've got it under control!
Have fun with your new system.