Ranking
Original Post
Matchmaking feedback thread
With 5.0 we've added a new matchmaking feature for more competitive play. The system is still very much in development and I'd like to get community feedback on how we can make it better.

Here are a couple categories of things that have been brought up, to get the conversation started (Feel free to add new things, though):
  • Season length - currently set to 1 month, suggested 3
  • # of games played - currently BO3
  • Calculating global/category rank - currently elo is by mods and I think global rank is an average
  • Appropriate penalty for leaving matchmaking games

Below I'll try to compile the suggestions I receive:
  • Custom win/loss icons (In place of the current x/o)
  • Change selection icons to empty square / checkbox
  • Match history
  • Better notification/confirmation for matchmake

Known issues:
  • Elo penalty is applied to both users - should be fixed in next patch
  • Some users reporting that matchmaking isn't properly connecting them to a private room, instead moving them to a lobby with multiple players queued
  • Matchmaking seems to be selecting grappling regardless of category(s) selected
  • Matchmaking is not pausing while playing a fight
  • Matchmaking sometimes skips replay and goes straight to next fight
  • Grab status persisting between matchmaking fights, even if mod changes to one without grab
Last edited by hanz0; Mar 29, 2016 at 07:44 PM.

"i wish i could do that ken watanabe face where his eyes are really wide" -siku 2015
DONSELUKE, MASTER OF LAWSUIT
if you love america please sign this petition
B&B&B&
Originally Posted by SmallBowl View Post
in the current sumore my matches are usually won through hooking of legs/groin so Im not sure I entirely agree with you there. However I do concede that the older sumore mods were certainly more grappling focused. I maintain that grappling is the best place for it though.

1. Im not completely sure what you mean by feet first handpushing so I cant comment, I would like to see an example of what you mean.

2. I see what you mean, however as a result of the ed I have only seen 1 of many snapkicks in this mod result in a win, the speed does however disadvantage all out defense, which makes the games more attacking based and more interesting to play. Personally I can see how this could be viewed as an issue however within an undeniably mediocre sample size of my matches in this mod and its predecessor/alpha version of the mod (rekbo) it has been very consistent in terms of who won the match. E.g fallu was far better than me at the mod and won 7/8 games.

3. It is relatively untested but has been tested in the form of rekbo, however as mentioned above it is in the matchmaking system to be tested, as it was always clear there would be teething problems. The way I see this current period is as a testing of the matchmaking system and all its parts, so it is being tested by the community actively now and its therefore good to see it is being noticed and discussed.

Thanks for the proper response. I cant exactly agree with those but I have just a little exp with the mod, so I cant just say that what you're saying is wrong.

What I mean by handpushing is going vertical with contracted knees and pushing forward with hands, like you do in lenshu and rkmma.
Originally Posted by panttersin View Post
Thanks for the proper response. I cant exactly agree with those but I have just a little exp with the mod, so I cant just say that what you're saying is wrong.

What I mean by handpushing is going vertical with contracted knees and pushing forward with hands, like you do in lenshu and rkmma.

I think I know what you mean, I think the tfs are low enough for this to be countered through defensive grabs or kicking, however I have yet to see this tactic used at all
Don't dm me pictures of bowls that you find attractive.
Mods should be held together by a similar way of playing them. I don't think it's reasonable to throw in mods that are intended to be played differently from other mods in the same category. It doesn't promote diversity the way you think it does. I think a veto system like numbers mentioned will give the selection more freedom, but there still shouldn't be mods that have so little in common with the other mods.
I was surprised to see the mod list not randomized. I think this is kind of a waste, but it might be ok with a bit of circulation. I understand that this is probably not the final result.

Since the striking category is 2/3 wushu-like mods right now, it could be a good idea to split the category into sub-categories (low grav, med grav, high grav) so that players can select which mod type they want. This sounds messy, but bear with me. It should work like the checkbox system matchmake already has, so after selecting striking you have the option to select between the sub-categories, or select all/none of them.
A player who selected all mods could get matched with one who selected a specific category and would then play 3 games of that specific category. If he's matched up with someone who chose all mods, the mod selection would instead pick from all of the categories.

Aikido could be split into similar categories, since there are people who enjoy damage aikido and people who don't. This is imo less important though.

I understand that this is not a priority, but it's worth throwing out there. I suspect the people who are working on this might think it's unimportant, but the playerbase is very split on this and forcing people to play things out of their comfort zone will turn people away from using the system.

I had no real issues with the system otherwise. It's a little annoying that the win/loss/quit message holds in your keypresses (if you get the message while holding a key you have to push it again to cancel) but that's about it.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
Originally Posted by PACKET View Post
Matchmaking is not working in the sense that it just puts you into a random category regardless of what you select. (Almost always Grappling)

And, why is Sumo_re in the grappling category?

Ideas:
Make ranks only achieved through matchmaking.
Improve the advertisement of this feature. (Make everyone aware this is important aspect of toribash)
Actually test it before releasing... (Kappa)

Believe me when I say that this has been as frustrating for me as it has for you. There was a pretty extensive beta period where matchmaking seemed to be working as expected (category selection actually meaning something, etc.) yet somehow that all broke when we released.

Much of my time since release has been spent relaying issues to the dev team and talking with users about how we can improve the system, and while I realize that doesn't change the fact of the buggy release, I wanted to make it clear that we're not just tossing this into the wild and ignoring it.

"i wish i could do that ken watanabe face where his eyes are really wide" -siku 2015
DONSELUKE, MASTER OF LAWSUIT
if you love america please sign this petition
B&B&B&
I think I know what you mean, I think the tfs are low enough for this to be countered through defensive grabs or kicking, however I have yet to see this tactic used at all

So why was this mod chosen? Who pulled this mod out of their ass? Because that's what has happened since you yourself have said that its not been tested yet.
35 gravity mod with 180 ed? Nice kicking mod. Combined with kickboxing the modlist is an absolute joke.

You've yet to say a single reason why reken is a good mod for competition. The only reason you're defending the mod is because the staff chose it.
The staff doesnt need a white knight to defend them. They should be able to state reasons themselves.

The trend of pulling competitive mods out of staffs ass is not a new one. Look at what happened the last ranked update.
And after that you try to say "just give it a shot". What a fucking joke.
Last edited by panttersin; Mar 5, 2016 at 03:13 PM.
So why was this mod chosen? Who pulled this mod out of their ass? Because that's what has happened since you yourself have said that its not been tested yet.
35 gravity mod with 180 ed? Nice kicking mod. Combined with kickboxing the modlist is an absolute joke.
You've yet to say a single reason why reken is a good mod for competition. The only reason you're defending the mod is because the staff chose it.
The staff doesnt need a white knight to defend them. They should be able to state reasons themselves.

I cant answer for all of these mods (kickboxing I dont support being there for example), but the thinking behind reken is that it is a promising mod made by a good modmaker for this kind of mod which doesnt seem to have any current issues as far as I am aware. Since there will be teething problems and many edits before the matchmaking system is how it will be in the end it seems perfectly sensible to test out what mods are ideal for the system.

What problem do you have with reken? Currently all youve provided is "I dont like it, heres a super vague reason which could mean anything" rather than anything specific or constructive.

Originally Posted by SmallBowl
2. I see what you mean, however as a result of the ed I have only seen 1 of many snapkicks in this mod result in a win, the speed does however disadvantage all out defense, which makes the games more attacking based and more interesting to play. Personally I can see how this could be viewed as an issue however within an undeniably mediocre sample size of my matches in this mod and its predecessor/alpha version of the mod (rekbo) it has been very consistent in terms of who won the match. E.g fallu was far better than me at the mod and won 7/8 games, whereas against Wizard (sorry Wizard) I went 5/0 iirc, Wizard can confirm or correct this score, but he will certainly tell you that it was consistent. Of course these are not the only games Ive played but they are the only times I have played a large-ish amount of games against the same player that I can remember

3. It is relatively untested but has been tested in the form of rekbo, however as mentioned above it is in the matchmaking system to be tested, as it was always clear there would be teething problems. The way I see this current period is as a testing of the matchmaking system and all its parts, so it is being tested by the community actively now and its therefore good to see it is being noticed and discussed.

Please dont make this go round in circles - thanks. All your points in that post had been answered in previous posts.
Please dont make this go round in circles - thanks. All your points in that post had been answered in previous posts.

Yeah. Nice reasoning. "It's good because I think its good and because someone beat me in it alot".
Almost none of my reasoning has been answered.

That is not an argument. You have said nothing about the mechanics of the mod. Which is the most important point of the discussion. Except that "this makes it more interesting" Interesting isnt the goal here now is it? You'd beat me in lightninglenshu 5/0, does that make it a good kicking mod?
No....
Ill win 9 out of 10 erthtk matches agaisnt you, but that is not the reason why erthtk is a good mod. It's the intrinsic values of the mod itself that make it a good mod.
If you want to run circles with shitty arguments be my guest. But dont try to call me out on ignoring your "good" arguments just to flame.
Last edited by panttersin; Mar 5, 2016 at 03:40 PM.
What exactly are you arguing? That it is a kicking mod? Or that it is a competitive mod? Because Im not sure anymore.
What exactly are you arguing? That it is a kicking mod? Or that it is a competitive mod? Because Im not sure anymore.

That it's not suitable for the tag "kicking".
But mate, I have at no point expected anything from you. I don't know why you are taking the stance of defending reken when you are not reasoning why its a good mod.
You are just white knighting for staff at this point and I dont understand why.
I'd like to hear someone who is in charge or someone who knows their shit about the competitive aspect of the game tell us / me why they picked that mod.
I don't really even want to argue this with you because why would I?

You are not staff, in charge or an expert in this area so can we please stop arguing this amongst the two of us and get someone who can make a difference here?
Last edited by panttersin; Mar 5, 2016 at 04:03 PM.
That it's not suitable for the tag "kicking".
But mate, I have at no point expected anything from you. I don't know why you are taking the stance of defending reken when you are not reasoning why its a good mod.
You are just white knighting for staff at this point and I dont understand why.
I'd like to hear someone who is in charge or someone who knows their shit about the competitive aspect of the game tell us / me why they picked that mod.
I don't really even want to argue this with you because why would I?

You are not staff, in charge or an expert in this area so can we please stop arguing this amongst the two of us and get someone who can make a difference here?

What definition of a kicking mod are you going by? It fits right into the kicking mod, this is a pretty undebatable point.

I have at no point expected a rational argument that is non circular from you, but hey. I gave you reasoning why it is a good mod, consistency is a very big factor in whether or not a mod is good for competitive play.

Its not that hard to work out why Im arguing with you about this mod, I agree with its addition and lets not forget that I was staff until very recently and I did have a hand in picking this mod to be used.

Please give some actual points about the mod that are relevant the only ones you have given that meant anything were the numbered ones a while back, if you disagree with the inclusion of a mod be prepared for me or anyone else to take you up on that and discuss it with you, if you cant hold your argument in a discussion at all with valid arguments feel free to drop out of the discussion rather than resorting to flame and telling me you dont want to discuss it with me specifically.