ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
[Help] Requesting some assistance
I'm quite new to texturing. I would love to learn how to texture and make heads similar to Eureka7's heads. I was wondering if someone from gata could walk me through remaking one of his heads. In particular this one:

I do also have the flat from his customs folder:

I don't necessarily want this head texture, otherwise I'd just be greedy and steal ( <- I'm not a theif), I just would like to learn to texture in this style. I am willing to learn and very eager. We would have to do this through pm's. and I can give you 20-30k for your help. I hope someone takes this seriously. thanks in advanced!
My advice would be to either download GIMP for free or obtain photoshop somehow(Through ways we're not allowed to talk about on the forums). And just learn from flats, other texturers work, advice. Etc. And make your own style. I think copying other peoples styles is just plain rude. D:

I'll edit this with a little help and something to help you get started.

Here, feel free to edit, and finish this head. Work from it.

Outline/template; Take a few minutes to think about what you are going to create, imagine it in your head, how it would look and map onto the tori, and how you would create it. Hell, you could even write it down.

Shading; For the shading, use (Darkjak's words: use finer brushes with harder edges. Use smudge only on internal shading to grade the colors. Go to the edges with solid strokes).

Basically, to give it a feel of depth, don't forgot one simple thing, lighter = popping out, darker = going in. Take a look at that unfinished head up their i'm giving you, around the visor is a perfect example of that, but it doesn't have to be in black&white, you can do it with other colours. An example is this other head I made with the help of Ezeth, another texture artist.

Notice how the shading here still has depth, and a 3d-ish look, but maintains other colours. This is what you can achieve.
Lel, this is funny because i'm not even in GATA.

I hope I helped. +rep for me.
Last edited by Malvie; May 20, 2010 at 10:53 PM.
A true scot.
Wow I love that Eureka head, his style seems to be defined by a classic anime style, the majority being mainly flat colours with flat shadows, that means no blending from dark to light, if an area is in shadow it is a flat dark grey.
"But their are gradients in there!" I hear you say, but notice that the gradients are not from the immediate light source(eg the light from above) they are from a secondary/bounced light often helping to define the shape of an area.
[GATA Elite #2][PigeonHive]Ldr's
-=[Shop]=-
eureka was an amazing artist, but his stay here was short lived. only made 5 or so heads then left for the pit of inactiveness

he used to work in 1024x1024 which is why his previews were so amazing

JC seems to have hit it quite well. he worked flat and layered his stuff rather than actually shading it.
but from my inderstanding, he was a c/p professional. just gotta know where to find good resources.
this specific head was made with just a good understanding of proportion and mapping
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
So eureka didn't draw it by hand?

I'm sure that if you REALLY wanted to draw that from scratch, learning real anime drawing could be directly translated to the heads. Just have to learn to map, which would be pretty easy to do.

Hm, thought eureka (well more like, hoped) drew by hand, cuz we have had several actual pro artists pass through before.

I think the perfect proportions on that head add to its awesomeness as much as the shading. The objects just look normal on the head.

I'm not good at anime, so I can't give any good tips

Just general stuff like, patience, zooming in, defined edges that flow into the main part of the object, uhhh....yeah.
I'll put up a pic of what I mean by that last part once I shower.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
If you're looking for source images try to look for gundam (more specifically exia)
for example:
Last edited by TomPaine; May 21, 2010 at 03:46 AM.
PigeonHive Flap Buzz
also would have liked to think he did it all by hand, but the side parts and the vents just seem suspect to me.

but whatever, the principle is easy enough to understand. toned down colours, good contrast and shade flat
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
Well basicly this is about practice. You can't get that good over night unless you already are a artist and have ideas on what to do.But i doubt it
Malvie explayned very well what you have to do but of course you don't have to try and copy his style as it will be hard.Instead practice till you find your own style.