Ranking
Original Post
MARTIAL ARTS
Its the thread for all who indulge in martial arts, spectates and appreciates. Tell about martial arts you study, your achievements and so on.

I will start with nearest (imho) tori analogue - Kyokushin

ENJOY.

For more info visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyokushin
Last edited by Hector; Jan 21, 2008 at 01:32 AM.
-_-dont you know how to post? click Here
Last edited by exturnal; Jan 21, 2008 at 01:43 AM.
Cheeze and Pie:3I will gladly tell you the minimint story.
(Elite1o0:) one sex, colouring my shoes(Elite1o0:) sec*
(A_coathanger:)sex shoes (Minimint:)Call dibs onsig:3

I've always had an interest in martial arts, but never recived any real training. I'm sure that the majority of the active members here have some kind of interest in martial arts, which is probably what drew them to the game.

Isn't hampa a Judo blackbelt, and veb a Karate brownbelt, or something along those lines?
"Call yourself alive? I promise you you'll be deafened by dust falling on the furniture,
you'll feel your eyebrows turning to two gashes, and your shoulder blades will ache for want of wings."
well...i did take a karate class once...but my master was a A**hole...
Cheeze and Pie:3I will gladly tell you the minimint story.
(Elite1o0:) one sex, colouring my shoes(Elite1o0:) sec*
(A_coathanger:)sex shoes (Minimint:)Call dibs onsig:3

I took a lot of Krav Maga, which is Hebrew for "contact combat". It's a military hand-to-hand combat system developed in Israel, and emphasizes maximum threat neutralization, which is why it is taught to law enforcement and military. It's mostly about attacks and defenses that are intended for potentially lethal threat situations, and aim to neutralize these and escape with maximum pain and/or damage to opponents, as rapidly and safely as possible. It usually involves crippling attacks to vulnerable body parts, including groin and eye strikes, headbutts, and other efficient and potentially brutal attacks, improvised use of any objects available, and maximizing personal safety in a fight, are emphasized. Unlike other martial arts, it emphasizes in the extreme power and neutralization needed by the people who usually use it. However, it is mostly for self-defense. The rules are this:

* Neutralize the threat
* Avoid injury
* Go from defending to attacking as quickly as possible
* Use the body's natural reflexes
* Strike at any vulnerable point
* Use any tool or object nearby

And the basic premises of Krav Maga are (assuming you are in a worst-case scenario):

* You're not going to care how much damage you're going to cause.
* Cause as much damage as possible and run.
* Do not try to prolong a fight. Do what needs to be done and escape.

While it uses the techniques seen in the arts of wing chung, kali, aikido, boxing, judo, jujutsu, karate, kobudo, muay thai, savate and/or wrestling, the training is often quite different. It stresses fighting under worst-case conditions or from disadvantaged positions (for example, against several opponents, when protecting someone else, with one arm unusable, when dizzy, against armed opponents). Unlike Karate there are no predefined sequences of moves or choreographed styles; instead Krav Maga emphasizes rapid learning and the retzef ("continuous combat motion"), with the sole imperative being effectiveness in your attack, defense, and ability to neutralize the threat. There aren't real ranks or belts used, but I'm fairly good at it. I also took some Judo classes before because it emphasizes grappling, and I'm huge for my age and know how to throw my weight around so I just went to a few classes to learn some more effective techniques. I got to blue belt there.
How to complain in style: GG, Mahulk.
The instructor I take from combines Okinawa Karate, Ryukyu-Kempo, and Small-Circle Jujitsu for his classes. He also instructs in the use of pressure points.
If at first you don’t succeed, then skydiving isn’t for you. --- Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't. --- Some people are like slinkys... They aren't good for anything, but they're still fun to watch fall down the stairs --- Bomb Squad: If you see us running, try to keep up
i had goju-ryo classes, and reached the green belt... then i gave up...
Originally Posted by Ragdollmaster View Post
I took a lot of Krav Maga, which is Hebrew for "contact combat". It's a military hand-to-hand combat system developed in Israel, and emphasizes maximum threat neutralization, which is why it is taught to law enforcement and military. It's mostly about attacks and defenses that are intended for potentially lethal threat situations, and aim to neutralize these and escape with maximum pain and/or damage to opponents, as rapidly and safely as possible. It usually involves crippling attacks to vulnerable body parts, including groin and eye strikes, headbutts, and other efficient and potentially brutal attacks, improvised use of any objects available, and maximizing personal safety in a fight, are emphasized. Unlike other martial arts, it emphasizes in the extreme power and neutralization needed by the people who usually use it. However, it is mostly for self-defense. The rules are this:

* Neutralize the threat
* Avoid injury
* Go from defending to attacking as quickly as possible
* Use the body's natural reflexes
* Strike at any vulnerable point
* Use any tool or object nearby

And the basic premises of Krav Maga are (assuming you are in a worst-case scenario):

* You're not going to care how much damage you're going to cause.
* Cause as much damage as possible and run.
* Do not try to prolong a fight. Do what needs to be done and escape.

While it uses the techniques seen in the arts of wing chung, kali, aikido, boxing, judo, jujutsu, karate, kobudo, muay thai, savate and/or wrestling, the training is often quite different. It stresses fighting under worst-case conditions or from disadvantaged positions (for example, against several opponents, when protecting someone else, with one arm unusable, when dizzy, against armed opponents). Unlike Karate there are no predefined sequences of moves or choreographed styles; instead Krav Maga emphasizes rapid learning and the retzef ("continuous combat motion"), with the sole imperative being effectiveness in your attack, defense, and ability to neutralize the threat. There aren't real ranks or belts used, but I'm fairly good at it. I also took some Judo classes before because it emphasizes grappling, and I'm huge for my age and know how to throw my weight around so I just went to a few classes to learn some more effective techniques. I got to blue belt there.

I have been training Krav Maga for years as well .
Ragdollmaster provided huge description already (wikipedia? )
I'm training with no protection other than groin one Dx so yea... it' skinda hard to walk on this bruised - from kicks and blocks - legs... or to speak clearly xP... cause of fat lips xP... but yea, krav maga is "real", and really is useful in real life situations.
deady: "Sahee (...) you bitter Pollock (...)"
i used to fight TKD, i got all the way up to red belt/w 2 black stripes, but i was 12 and my attention span was about the size of a penn head, so i quit and joined soccer
Oldschooler | Evolution
Spars