Ranking
Original Post
Coursework Week 1
Personal Style
Difficulty; Variant
Start - 17/03/2010

The first step to becoming a texturer is understanding what kind of texturer you are. You need to find your own little niche in the market.

You can either follow a short few steps to help guide you, or you can go into a meditative state on a pilgrammage for self worth... Either way is good.
(Personally, I actually did the second one..)

The steps:
Personal Touch-
- Reflect on your personal style for a second.. What key words would you use?
Preference -
- Compare this to what you like most, mix them up a bit.
Ability -
- What is your current level of texturing?
- If you don't get the result you want, remember you'll get better at it.
Originality -
- My best guess is someone has beaten you to it. The next step is to try and find some way of making it yours.
Naming your style -
- Now your style needs a name, don't be so boring to call it the same as you.
- If you succeed in making something popular, others will copy. Accept this.
- Pop, Grunge, Pumpkins, Elephantitis, Characature... Seriously anything, just make sure its descriptive.

Meditation:
Get a load of paper and write down everything you can about liking textures. Place this infront of you and close your eyes.. Try to imagine what the ultimate head for you would look like. If someone else has already made it, this is bad news! Just keep trying and changing it over and over.
Eventually you'll have a breakthrough and your style will teach itself.

How to post:
Write down a description of your style, how to make it, what it is and how its different from anyone else's.
Do not use other people's names as description. If you must, describe their style (eg. Mrama = Pop).
Last edited by Monobi; Mar 18, 2010 at 12:09 AM.
"Anything running perfectly is running like clockwork."
Style Description:
I consider my style of being based on synthetics, so that means nothing organic. I like to keep it clean but detailed enough to prove that it is what I claim.
How to make it:
I generally use techniques you would use to design a tech style website.
Gloss, metal, gradients, shadows, glows, patterns. Separate layers for separate effects.
How is it different:
The general aspect is hard to describe in a single word. It can not be called cartoon but it doesn't have a high enough detail level to be called realistic but at the same time it can be considered high quality.

I think i'll name it DTech
This style is based on simplicity and clean textures , It is also based on glowing on a mat background to make it look more 3D .I try to make robotic lines but while the construction of the texture, i try to hide the lines a bit to make it look deeper

First i start with a mat background and draw robotic lines . Then i shade themm a bit and, with the finger tool, make them a little more smooth . After manipulation with colors and the finger tool I just have to shade and maybe add some litlle detail and Voila im done.

I think there is many set's with glowing ; and i wanna try to get the best result i can . For that ill try new colors , patterns ... and add new touchs of my own

name :
glorob
Last edited by airbust; Mar 17, 2010 at 09:10 PM.
Fr[C.T.]; [HTS] ; [Monobi disciple's]
Description:
In this style, you'll see lots of different motives and materal in the background and line motives on it. The point is either for it to look carved on the material or hovering over it. There will rarely be full shapes, just lines of different styles and a lot of imperfections on the material. This is why it will work best on 512*512 heads. In theory, it will give it either a futuristic look or a rudimentary one depending on how the lines are perfected.

Technique:
The background is first done using filters, gradients and maybe some general shapes but they should be almost invisible. Then, using the pen tool you have to draw lines of different shapes depending on the style you're going for. Sharp angles are perfectly fine if for example you're trying to emulate a carved metal. Finally, add something specific to each head in very small detail and work with the lighting a bit.
TADA! You're done.

Originality:
The fact that there are no full shapes in the foreground gives place for a more realistic material. Also, every line is shaded in a different way but you could find some that look shaded in instead of sticking out. Robot and human heads are rare in this style but they are replaced by a great new diversity of styles like stone, wood or electric (lightning-like lines).

Name:
Lineal
Last edited by Muffindo; Mar 17, 2010 at 08:09 PM.
Nasuke; Edit in what makes yours so unique.
Cercopes; Yes.
airbust; Not good enough.. More detail, try again.
Muffindo; First good work handed in. I love it, can't wait to see it develop.
"Anything running perfectly is running like clockwork."
How to post:
Write down a description of your style, how to make it, what it is and how its different from anyone else's.
Do not use other people's names as description. If you must, describe their style (eg. Mrama = Pop).

Sorry for the late post.. well... here goes.

I'll be re-arranging the order of the post as it feels more structural to myself xD
Just a Habit

Name: Post-Grunge Robotic

Description
~~~~~~~
Post-Grunge Robotic is a mixture of robotic and gothic styled elements. The general feel of the texture would be very dark and grim. It would be a mash up of things, such as for a head; It would be a normal styled looking robotic head, but where the mouth would normally be, the steel section would be taken out and below, would be very gnarly jaws locked together tightly, or possibly a normal human mouth but with the lips sewn together. Where the visor goes across, it might break apart and underneath there might be tons of distorted eyes in place of the other side of the visor that should have normally been there.

I can go over it more detailed if you need me to.
The whole idea behind this is to have a post modern feeling with a sort of dark/evil beast or being attempting to escape from the set.. Almost as though the robot is a capsule for this distorted being.

How is it different?
I dont see anyone in the market that has actually done or attempted this. I might be blind, but I think its extremely rare that a set actually combines these two together. When I say rare, im talking about the rarity that the artist focuses on this element specificly

How would you make it?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For the first step, you would make the fleshy base for the texture, depending on the type of texture your going to do, you might make the base human skin with varying tones in it, or possibly a more muscle and tissue styled base.

For the second step, you would map out where there aren't going to be robotic pieces, such as around the eye, the mouth, side of the face, back of the head, anywhere. Then you would make a small faint line to mark the area just outside of the area you want showing so that you can overlap the robotic piece so the line doesn't show rather than having to get it precise.

For the third step, you would add the first metallic base, and be sure to stay a small ways outside the faint lines marking the area's of where the flesh part of the head will be brought up. The first metallic base should be much lighter and more polished with few scuff marks. After that, you would mark where this layer will be brought up in the final top layer. This layer would be used for robotic details such as pipes, various liquid tanks, or wiring.. virtually anything. After you've marked the area's in the same way you did the flesh base, move on to the fourth step.

For the fourth step, you add the second/final metallic base. This base must overlap slightly within the flesh parts left open and visible, and must overlap slightly on the first metallic layer left open. Then this base should be shaded and have multiple scuff marks added. This base should be much darker and worn out then the first as it is the outer-most shell. After, details should be added, such as visors, plates, or anything robotic for the top base.

For the fifth step, you must focus on making the edges of the cutouts for the flesh section very rough and cut up. For the first metallic layer cut out, they must be cut out very precise and be cut in even lines. Then the edges should be scuffed up and shaded.

For the sixth step, you focus on the details of the first metallic layer, where you add pipes, wires, or any hardware styled robotic elements to the cutouts. Then you must make them more grunge, and scuff them up and shade them as they are exposed to the surface.

For the Seventh step, you focus on the dark/grunge details of the flesh layer adding complete details to it in the cutout area.

For the eighth and final step, you mainly focus on shading and shading everything on the second metallic layer, aswell as anything else that needs detailing on the other layers.

Then whew.. done xD
zuɐɹpʞɹɐp ʇɔǝdxǝ | [ριïαâôz] | [εssεηcε]
Course work, week 1.

Description of my style.

My style is mostly humanoid, or demon characters. Usually very demonic looking or very beautiful, depends how you look at it.
A lot of it comes from the music, or thoughts I have, which may seem a bit creepy, but that's just the way I am.
My imagination is very strange, so that's where I come up with these strange humanoid monster creations.
I guess think of it as darkness and evil, but in a beautiful way.

Technique of my style.

Well, to start off, I use gimp. Never tried photoshop, I prefer gimp because of it's easy interface.
I usually start off with a white back ground, (I add color later) then plane out what type of texture I want to add to it.
Do I want it cracky, or smooth, or more texture like a fabric. After I find this, I look in my brushes, or go to GIMPpressionist, and look and see if I can find what I am looking for.
If i can't find what I am looking for, I make it manually, which takes a very long time, and doesn't come out the way I like sometimes.

After I get the back ground layout I like, I make a new layer and and use the air brush tool, this is where my shading skills come in.
I take the brush (usually a very big brush) and start to shade the areas.
I use common sense and light direction to figure out the best spots to shade. This can take a while, but makes great 3D effects and makes the texture stand out and pop.
Sometimes if I want it brighter, I just overlay a white layer, vise versa if to bright.

What makes my style different.

I believe my style is different because of the way I use shading. I do not know anyone who uses shading like me, so I think it makes my style stand out by it's self.
I also have a different imagination then others, which also makes my style different.
And I use a lot of texture, or fabrics in my textures, to make them look unique and realistic. Not many people go for this, because the prefer cartoon or robot.
When I make textures, I really put a lot into it, my heart, my soul, my imagination. A lot goes into my textures, even if they don't look like much.
Every texture I make is unique in it's own way.

The name of my style.

I had to sit down and think of it for a minute. I wanted something deep, and something that would sum up my style in one word.
Something that really complemented the texture style.
Then it hit me..... Malus. Malus is latin for Evil, it sums it up pretty well I believe.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
<Jarmund>puta keppario
Cogito ergo sum
Ex-Tori Agent | OBT Member | [Reaper] | A.k.a. void/prada