Toribash
Original Post
Buying a New Setup! Opinions?
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/8YrYWX

Here is my part picker list. I'm getting into gaming and PC building more and more. My current setup is terrible. So, I'm gonna buy a whole brand new one.

I need opinions. I'm going for a white/black/blue build. Tell me if I should add/remove/replace any parts and why.
<Scourgebank> minraise is clav's dick
<Scourgebank> so 0
if you're going for a white black blue build, are you sure about that monitor with red parts?
also that monitor is really expensive, are you sure it's worth the extra cost compared to other monitors?
99% sure you don't need that much power. You can get a way cheaper build that will still perform how you need it to.
| Leader of FC | Loans | ABD Enthusiast |
Nah 650w is perfectly reasonable, and getting a lower wattage PSU will only knock off a few bucks. However I'm 99% sure you don't need 12+ fans. If you meant instead to only have one of each of the fan packs, that would bump you down to eight fans, GPU included. there's also no way you need an $800 monitor. Even dropping into the $400 range will get you something miles ahead of the rest. Lastly, unless you are going to use this machine to render your own Pixar-style movie, you don't need 32gigs of RAM. 16 is more than enough for gaming.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That’'s how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.
I meant processing power not electric power.
That does make slightly more sense. In any case, it would still be nice to have, in case he runs Crysis and stumbles into a room with 300 exploding barrels in it. Or somehow spawns ten thousand cabbages in Skyrim. It also ensures he won't have to upgrade the processor for quite a long time.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That’'s how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.
Still he could probably spend less right now and have extra money for other stuff he may need in his life.
Why the fuck would you ever need more than 16 GB's of memory
Why the fuck would you ever need a 180$ motherboard
Why the fuck would you ever need a 800$ monitor
Why the fuck would you need 3TB of storage
Why the fuck are you throwing your money towards pointless shit
Hell, you are spending money on shit that doesn't even need future proofed
Last edited by Valterain1; Oct 30, 2016 at 12:43 AM.
Valterain1 was defeated by hermaphrodite on Oct 17, 2015.
Valt said what we meant but in a more frank way.
3200 RAM but the mobo is 2400, you may as well drop the RAM down to get tighter CAS timings, you will probably drop this down in BIOS anyway so why not save a bit of money and get some 2400 C11 or something.

Originally Posted by Valterain1 View Post
Why the fuck would you ever need more than 16 GB's of memory
Why the fuck would you ever need a 180$ motherboard
Why the fuck would you ever need a 800$ monitor
Why the fuck would you need 3TB of storage
Why the fuck are you throwing your money towards pointless shit
Hell, you are spending money on shit that doesn't even need future proofed

>RAM
Maybe because he does stuff that needs more RAM? I have 16gb and max it out pretty often. If you disable page file (which you should) then you can burn RAM really quickly. It depends on what he needs...

>$180 mobo
Z170 isn't cheap I think, even the cheapest are $100 afaik. There are cheaper options but it depends what he needs...

>$800 monitor
Obviously it's a luxury item. I've been using 160Hz for many many years and personally I love them. Low frame rate monitors hurt my eyes and looks like a slideshow. Yeah he could get a $20 low resolution low frequency monitor I think this monitor very clearly is just because he wants it...

>3TB storage
Again it depends what he needs. Maybe he doesn't have a media or storage server so he has to rely on local storage. In this case having a few TB isn't unusual. In my server I have 9TB but if I didn't have a server I would have to put them locally wouldn't I?

>future proofing
Does not exist. You can have a system that is easily upgradable but you should never put your money towards hoping that your build can function beyond its lifespan. All systems will degrade in roughly equal time, future proofing is just a buzzword that gets thrown around by marketing teams.

Unless you are going to argue that going full analogue and getting objectively the best components that are no longer being improved upon is "future proofing" (eg getting a good CRT monitor, PS/2 keyboard, analogue headphones, etc), which I would not classify as such.
If you have minions in your avy or sig DO NOT REPLY TO MY POSTS