Toribash
Original Post
Some constructive criticism needed
Hi,
I'm an average Toribash player that currently has time to practice. Since the start of my practice I've decided to change my means of movement from relax all to hold all to see if I could gain more stability in my movements. So far it has been helping me, and I've made three replays from my practice that I find noteworthy. My current focus is on utilising arm movements for attacks alongside dispersing momentum to always keep my character on its feet. Please tell me what you think of the replays, any thing I can use in my practice, and things you think I may need to improve on. Excuse the silly titles.
Considering that you are quite new to the game, here are a few tips to remember in replaymaking:

1. Don't rub uke all over yourself just to get dismemberments-
Lots of beginners do this, and it's good that as early as now, remember this tip when replaymaking. Rubbing uke all over yourself doesn't look good, and it looks messy, which brings us to tip number 2.

2. Make clean hits-
Making cleaner hits help make the replay look, well, clean. Seeing too much red hurts my eyes, so reducing the amount of contact between uke and your other bodyparts aside from your limbs would help get you clean hits, which bring us to tip number 3.

3. Make your hits look more well defined-
Related to my first tip, make sure that you can actually identify what your tori is doing. Whether it's a punch or a kick or a flip or a dismemberment, make sure that you can tell what your movements are when you watch your replay.

4. Make your movements fluid-
As you mentioned, you decided to use a "hold-all style" to keep balance on your feet. Though it seems to help you, a relax-all style makes things look smooth and sexy. Destroying uke in a stiff, robot-like manner doesn't look good too, so yeah, make your movements fluid.

5. Don't be afraid to lose balance-
You mentioned that you use a hold-all style to keep balance on your feet. I would advise you to not be afraid to lose balance. Sometimes, you need to take risks, and by doing so, it may bring you a step closer to making epic replays.

I hope you will learn from all this advice.

~B4CKST4B
Heart of Gold
In my opinion hold-all is useless unless in dire about to dq circumstances, relax all channels the force of your strike like the tip of a whip.
Alright, thank you for those tips.
I know for sure I do the joint rubbing often on uke. Besides holding all joints I do at times relax certain parts of the body when I need more specific movements. Do you think fluidity could be achieved within a balance of held and relaxed joints?
In my experience in replaymaking, yes. There are times when either a held or relaxed joint makes a difference in what you are doing.
Heart of Gold
If anything, people might forget that hold all and relax all are hypothetical preferences. I find relax all starts off my replays too ragdoll-like and when I relax a few joints after hold all, things are better.
You bet I do. This time I focused on some grab and kick coordination, more specifically, in -30 gravity. It seems pretty good. Also, I'm not really a new player, but I made another account because when it comes to games I have high standards and I feel it would be crazy to call myself a good black belt yet. I did less rubbing on the dummy than usual this time.
Attached Files