I said this almost a year ago srsly look
http://forum.toribash.com/showthread....php?t=491349v
v
v
http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=491349
vhttp://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=491349

And btw, lobbys ranked 1-500 is basically nothing, there is about 20 good players on toribash so 500 just = noob farming

You don't state how the lobbies change during the season in the thread. Regardless, good for you..the topic needs to be re-discussed anyway.

Hmmm, that's not true in my opinion, but I'll see about making lower ranking range since there is a low amount of players.
-----
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
A bit off topic, fist you say 20 good players. Name them RN!

Also i think 1-30/40 is a ranking area where some tournament/competition could be done. Since totally awful players cant get around those ranks without massive farming.

So a server with rank <50 with rotating mods would be nice.

I'll try to incorporate that after work!
Last edited by William; Aug 14, 2015 at 07:46 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Your messed up world enthrills me
Honestly, ranking just ruins the game.

This game is going from endless moves and styles to everybody playing like they need to win to survive.

No one plays for fun, they either run or just do lame moves. What was once a game with endless possibilities is turning into a game where you have to play like the rest of the ranking whores who run and shovel to win their games.

Ranking won't ever determine skill, it just shows who can spend all day keeping their rank at bay and improving and who can shovel and run better than everybody else.

I think we should all just give up on ranking cause there is no sure fire way to fix it even with matchmaking you will will get pared up with someone with minimal skill shoveling or running to achieve a good rank.
Originally Posted by Iguodola View Post
Honestly, ranking just ruins the game.

This game is going from endless moves and styles to everybody playing like they need to win to survive.

No one plays for fun, they either run or just do lame moves. What was once a game with endless possibilities is turning into a game where you have to play like the rest of the ranking whores who run and shovel to win their games.

Ranking won't ever determine skill, it just shows who can spend all day keeping their rank at bay and improving and who can shovel and run better than everybody else.

I think we should all just give up on ranking cause there is no sure fire way to fix it even with matchmaking you will will get pared up with someone with minimal skill shoveling or running to achieve a good rank.

This is not really part of the discussion, but I'll take a bite at it.

First, as in every game..there will be a competitive scene whether you like it or not. So, a ranking system is a must. If you don't want to pass through the competitive scene then you can go to a private or a public room. Those are huge options. So you actually have the choice of competitive/non competitive.

Now, that I'm done with that. I'll deal with the mods. I'll just talk about the striking mods because that's what I've played the most.

rk-mma and lenshu3ng are as close to fair/competitive as you're going to get. The dojo put almost prevents running, yes people can still move back but then you're forcing them out of the dojo!

The only problem as I see it in these mods is that they're still opener based. I've always used improvised, but I've noticed that some players which aren't that good get some significant advantage simply because they use opener X. So why should I be fine with that? I use an opener..and a lame opener. It's better to have the advantage then keep scrapping the round for points because you're just simply too cool to use an opener. Survival of the fittest rule applies. But, anyway, what allows you to beat players much more consistently is not the opener but having the extra skill to out muscle your opponent.

Sure, I'd prefer a version of these striking mods not dependent on openers, but openers in striking can almost always be countered too..so yeah.
-----
@cowmeat fistoflife

I was thinking about the <50 room and it needs testing ofc..but IMO it sounds too low to have a good number of players present in the room.

The 500 ranked server lobbies would be okay, I don't care how many good players in your opinion there are..it is irrelevant. Your elitism is impressive anyway.

If the <250 ranked server is always full, you can make 2 of such server type.
Last edited by William; Aug 14, 2015 at 06:07 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Originally Posted by William View Post
Your elitism is impressive anyway.

Id just like to say something to this remark.

Elitism and realism are a bit different (sure there might be a bit of that one in there as well). the #250 best vs the #5 best player game will end in 1-9. Id say currently there are around 30-70 players who can compete all around with reasonable skill difference. Not completely equal, but in a way that it would make sense. Sure if its only ABD it might be wider. But if we would make 250 people play 5 mods best of 5 matches it would be super unbalanced. I dont concur with fists 20 players statement. But I do understand where he's coming from.
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
Id just like to say something to this remark.

Elitism and realism are a bit different (sure there might be a bit of that one in there as well). the #250 best vs the #5 best player game will end in 1-9. Id say currently there are around 30-70 players who can compete all around with reasonable skill difference. Not completely equal, but in a way that it would make sense. Sure if its only ABD it might be wider. But if we would make 250 people play 5 mods best of 5 matches it would be super unbalanced. I dont concur with fists 20 players statement. But I do understand where he's coming from.

Still, it's irrelevant. If there is a population of 20 people that are really superb and can beat everyone else, doesn't mean others are bad players. In each type of mods, I can name 20 good players. I really don't think a toribash player should be forced to play a type of mod that is not his type! Yes, you have to be kinda competent to survive in those last rooms where all mods are rotating though!

It's irrelevant to the ranking range, anyway..the amount of great players in all mods . You have to take into consideration how active rooms will be.
Last edited by William; Aug 15, 2015 at 09:24 AM.
Still, it's irrelevant. If there is a population of 20 people that are really superb and can beat everyone else, doesn't mean others are bad players. In each type of mods, I can name 20 good players. I really don't think a toribash player should be forced to play a type of mod that is not his type! Yes, you have to be kinda competent to survive in those last rooms where all mods are rotating though!

It's irrelevant to the ranking range, anyway..the amount of great players in all mods . You have to take into consideration how active rooms will be.

Your standard of good player is different from a real good players view. A white belt thinks almost every one is really good at the game. I can see that you are fairly bad at the game, besides maybe Wushu. I can say the same with Cowmeat with his exception being TK.

The reason for there being so few good players is that just playing toribash doesn't make you a good player. THE PLAYER has to force them self to face better players always and to look for the hardest duels.

If a real matchmaking system was in place then the player skill would increase greatly as people are always being challenged.
Originally Posted by FistofLife View Post
Your standard of good player is different from a real good players view. A white belt thinks almost every one is really good at the game. I can see that you are fairly bad at the game, besides maybe Wushu. I can say the same with Cowmeat with his exception being TK.

The reason for there being so few good players is that just playing toribash doesn't make you a good player. THE PLAYER has to force them self to face better players always and to look for the hardest duels.

If a real matchmaking system was in place then the player skill would increase greatly as people are always being challenged.

While I don't truly agree with his assessment of other players skill 1 to 1, but he's absolutely right. I finally started listening to this methodology instead of noob farming and I can safely say I've learned more in my last 750 games then in the prior 7,000 games of my 44k gaming career.

People not playing a part in the very small competetive number environment just hear of people who they think are awesome, when they have zero clue of how poorly they would do when winning is all that matters. I'm not talking about running away either, just the mere mentality of playing to win when there are stakes is such a different game and meta than most people understand.

But anyone can get involved if they are interested!
Last edited by Bodhisattva; Aug 15, 2015 at 04:58 PM.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!

This is exactly what this system does here without using matchmaking!

You start out by getting a good rank by specializing at one/two mods if you want to. Then in day 20, you're force to be good in all striking mods! In day 30, you're forced to be good in all mods to get the best rank!

Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
While I don't truly agree with his assessment of other players skill 1 to 1, but he's absolutely right. I finally started listening to this methodology instead of noob farming and I can safely say I've learned more in my last 750 games then in the prior 7,000 games of my 44k gaming career.

People not playing a part in the very small competetive number environment just hear of people who they think are awesome, when they have zero clue of how poorly they would do when winning is all that matters. I'm not talking about running away either, just the mere mentality of playing to win when there are stakes is such a different game and meta than most people understand.

But anyone can get involved if they are interested!

No, he's not right. 90% of duelers fight in aikidobd. Rarely did I ever get asked to play in a striking mod. I'm not denying that there are people who do it, but it is not as rosy as you think. It's not forcing you to specialize in all mods.

Of-course, the meta is different when you have 100k on the line. Some people don't like to waste their hard-earned TC to just learn how to be the best. It shouldn't ever be the case. The competitive scene shouldn't depend on the presence of stakes. Never!
This is exactly what this system does here without using matchmaking!

You start out by getting a good rank by specializing at one/two mods if you want to. Then in day 20, you're force to be good in all striking mods! In day 30, you're forced to be good in all mods to get the best rank!

Yup i think this system is great and it seems a lot more practical than a matchmaking system, as hampa is to dumb to make matchmaking. This system wouldn't be as effective as matchmaking but it would get the point across roughly.
Yup i think this system is great and it seems a lot more practical than a matchmaking system, as hampa is to dumb to make matchmaking. This system wouldn't be as effective as matchmaking but it would get the point across roughly.

Of-course, it's not as good as matchmaking! Matchmaking would be ideal here honestly. But, I wanted to create a system with what we already got that can make this ranking better.

An obvious flaw might be that a player in the first ten days might win too much in that specialized mod which might be enough for him to survive day 20/day 30. That all needs to be tested though, can't speak without experience.