ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
[Guide] How to speak Kiwi (New Zealand)
Hello and welcome to my guide on how to speak Kiwi.

Kiwi slang is a huge part of the New Zealand culture, it has a lot of similarities with Australian slang. You pretty much can start off with inserting "maate" in your sentances, and also "oi", or the classic "oi mate", a lot of swearing is used, no words are really offensive, cunt is probably the most popular word. I will try add stuff as I remember things.

Heres some terms you probably wont know/have heard me say in the voice chat, Ill bold a couple that I generally use.

Algood/No worries(all good)
It's OK / Not a Problem. Also can be a term to describe some ones personality or looks. "She looks algood tonight" "Hes an algood cunt"

Ay, Ae, Aye
An example would be, "she's algood ae"

Bach
A holiday home/second home (a beach house), pronounced BATCH.

Bloody
A type of cuss word, used to emphasise feelings and has nothing to do with blood - e.g. "it was a bloody good night out", "he is a bloody idiot", "I don't bloody know"

Bloke
Man - e.g. "see that bloke over there"

Bogans
A person with an unsophisticated background, or whose speech, clothing, attitude and behaviour exemplify a lack of manners and education. If you watch the "Mike Nolan Show" on youtube you will understand.

Bro
Brother or good friend

[B]Builder[B]
Carpenter/Chippy

Buggar
A word used for disappointment - e.g. when you tell someone your car broke down they respond, "buggar!"
Also can be used to refer to an older man - e.g. "did you see the old buggar yesterday?"

Caravan
A mobile home trailer towed behind a vehicle

Caked It
Messed it up, failed

Chick
Girl/Woman, "far that chick is hot as aye"

Chips
Crisps

Chippy
Carpenter/Builder

Chocka
Full or overflowing "the bus is chocka today!"

Choice
When pleased with something - e.g. "I got you a ticket to the rugby" you would respond with "choice bro!"

Chook
Short for Chicken. Also used in reference to an older lady e.g. "the old chook over there"

Chur
Thank You, Sweet as - "Chur Bro"

Crack Up
When referring to someone that is funny - e.g. "Bob is such a crack up", "Fuark that's crack up"

Cracked Up
Your reaction of laughter to something funny - e.g. "He told a joke and I just cracked up"

Crash Here
Sleep here - e.g. "you can crash here tonight"

Crib
A holiday home. More commonly it is Kiwis in the South Island who refer to them as a 'crib' and in the North Island refer to them as a 'bach'.

Cuppa
Refers to a cup of tea or coffee - we do tend to speak quickly & merge our words, so "cup of tea" became "cuppa tea".

Cuzzie or Cuz
Cousin. Also used instead of "Bro"

Dairy
Corner/Convenience Store

Dear
Expensive - "that shop is dear"

Dole
Unemployment benefit

Duvet
Blanket

Eh, Ay, Ae, Aye
Used at the end of a sentence when you're not really asking a question, more providing a statement that you want confirmation for such as "it's really hot today, eh". Pronounced 'ay'

Eh, Ay, Ae, Aye
Eh? as in Pardon? What?​

Fizzy Drink
Soda/Pop

Flannel
Face Cloth

Flat Out
Super busy

Flog
Steal - "I might flog it today"

Footie
Rugby/Football/Soccer - e.g. "I'm going to watch the footie today"

G String
Thong style underwear

Gawk
Stare e.g. "stop gawking at me"

Geez
Have a look

GC / Good Cunt
Good person, the bro, respect

Good as Gold
Thanking someone for something - e.g. "thanks for doing that, good as gold"
Responding that you well when asked - e.g. "how are you doing", "good as gold thank you"

Gumboots
Wellingtons / Out door water proof boots

Haka
Not slang, but it's something we talk about! Maori war dance, more "famously" known through The All Blacks rugby team

Hangi
Not slang, but you will hear about it while here! The traditional style of Maori cooking

Hard
"Hard Bro" bascially in agreement with their friend, or describing someone as "tough". "Whatta hard cunt"

Hard Case
Funny person - "Yeah, he's quite a hard case"

Hard Out
"Oh yeah hard out!" meaning "I totally agree!"

Hard Yakka
Hard work - "it's hard yakka but worth it!"

Heaps
A lot/Lots, "yeah there are heaps of people in town tonight"

Hoon
Turn, or a crazy person. "Can I have a hoon bro?", "Fuark he was hooning down the motorway"

Horey, Whorey
used to describe something cheap, badly made, not worth a lot, or just genrally average. "look at your horey shoes", "that chick is horey as"

Hot Chips
French Fries

Hottie
reference to a good looking person "check out that hottie over there"

Hungus
Hungry person eating all the food "stop being a hungus and leave us some!"

Ice Block
Ice Pop/Ice Lolly

Jam
Fruit preserve/Jelly

Jandals
Flip Flops / Thongs

Jelly
Jello, or can be short for "jealous"

Jersey or Jumper
Pull Over / Fleece / Sweater

Judder Bar
Speed Bump

Keen / Keen as
In positive response in wanting to do something - e.g. when asked if you want to go to the movies tomorrow, "oh yeah, I am keen as"

Kiwi
New Zealanders - Also a native bird to New Zealand - Also shoe polish brand - Also a fruit!

Knackered
Tired/Exhausted

Mare, Mares
Short for Nightmare when you are awake and things are not going well - e.g. "I'm having an absolute mare at work today", "fukin mares bro"

Mate
Friend - "Thanks Mate"

Motorway
Highway

Munted
Broken / Not Working / Damaged / Fucked​

No Worries
It's OK / Not a Problem

Not Even
Not true, Bullshit

Not Even Ow
Ow Not really a meaning to this, just gives the phrase being used more emphasis.

'P'
Methamphetamine/Ice - called "P" due to the Pseudoephedrine used to manufacture the drug

Pakeha
A white New Zealander - not Maori

Pavlova
Meringue, smothered in whipped cream and fresh fruit.

Plonk
Bottle of wine - normally a cheap variety

Piss
Alcohol "getting on the piss"

Piss
"He's taking the piss" - he's taking advantage/joking

Piss Up
Party - e.g. "Bob is having a piss up tomorrow"

Popsical
Ice Block/Ice Lolly - this is a common brand name however many Kiwi's refer to Ice Blocks as Popsicals

Post Code
Zip Code

Pretty
We use this two ways - to tell you that you are pretty/beautiful or to over extend "that shop is pretty dear", "yeah it's pretty expensive"

Ring, Buzz
Telephone someone - e.g. "I'll give them a ring now"

RTD
​means ready to drink, its a very common alcoholic beverage which instead of buying a bottle of rum and coke, or bourbon and coke, or vodka and what ever mixer you would use, you buy a 12 box of RTD's which is the coke and bourbon mix already done for you(theres lots of different kinds, Im sure you guys also see them around). Mostly consumed buy teenagers or horey older people (westies, bogans)

See Ya Later!
Saying goodbye to someone but does not particularly mean that you will see them later

She'll be Right
It will be OK / It's not a Problem. Usually used when you fuck something up and you just brush it off like it wont be an issue

Shorts
Short pants

Sickie
Taking a sick day off work/or pretending to be sick and not going to work - e.g. "he's throwing a sickie today"

Skint
Broke / poor / no money

Skull
Drink a drink in a large amount or in one go

Slab
6 pack of beer or RTD's

Snag
Sausage

Spud
Potato

Stink
A phrase of disappointment - "aw stink bro dont take his lunch"

Straight Up
When someone is being honest - e.g. "straight up bro, it definitely happened"

Stubbie
Can of Beer or very short pants that men wear, especially farmers and rugby players

Sunday Driver
Slow driver normally well below speed limit

Sunnies
Sunglasses

Suss
To investigate, sort something out, also can be used for suspicious/suspect - "I need to suss it out first" or "he does look a bit suss"

Sweet As
Cool or Awesome, also can be used as "it's ok" or "not a problem"

Ta
Thank You - e.g. when someone hands you something you asked for, you respond with "ta".
Also commonly used when teaching young children you want something that they are holding, you hold your hand out and say "ta", such as an advanced thank you for giving me what you are holding.

Takeaways
Fast food

Tea
Dinner - "what's for tea tonight?"

Thongs
G-String style underwear

Togs
Swimsuit

Toilet
When asking where a bathroom is - e.g. "where is the toilet?"

Tomato Sauce
Ketchup

Torch
Flashlight

Tramping
Hiking

Tu Meke (Two Mek-ee)
Awesome, good job

Ute
Pick up truck

Waka
Maori Canoe - also what we commonly refer to the bus as - "land waka"

Westie
Referring to West Aucklanders, who many believe appear to be Bogans.

Wobbly
Temper-tantrum. Used in reference such as, "then he threw a massive wobbly"

Wop-Wops
Middle of nowhere

Yeah, nah
This is an indecisive phrase, normally followed by an explanation

You alright?​
​A question used in greeting, basically meaning"how are you?", not asking if you are sick.

You're all good
You dont offend me, Dont worry I'm not gonna fight you

Hamilton
shithole
Last edited by Icky; Oct 16, 2018 at 10:50 PM.
I apologise for this post.

-----
How to speak the Australian language ^
Last edited by Swaves; Oct 15, 2018 at 07:14 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Originally Posted by Pill View Post
Tayhoss slang better

Make a how to curse in tayhoss thread :P
Pickled is alright
And fresh is quite a delight
Creati0n-approved